Random Thoughts....

Speak an accent from the UK and I will probably be correct in guessing it's region. To me, it is fascinating on how the dialects are like lines in the dirt.

Sussex, Kent and Hampshire a few decades ago did have discernable accents. Nowadays they are sort of extended London generic southern acccents, unless you speak to someone in a very rural area in their senior years.

(Essex, north east of London, has still has a strange flat vowel "east London" accent, often disparagingly called "Estuary English", which is not normally well received by others not from Essex.)

Further from the usual London commuting areas in the south of England, there are more accents and different dialects are used, like Dorset or Wiltshire.

It varies a lot and is very interestng, but sadly a diminishing regional trait.

:smile:

That's too bad, but I've noticed that back home in New Hampshire as well. My sisters and I (45, 43, and 40) all speak with very noticeable Northern New England accents. Our brothers (30 and 22) do not.

I used to be pretty good at telling where people were from by their accents; but since I started handling business portfolios I got less and less customers with British accents, and so I got rusty. I thought one woman was from Manchester and she was actually from Leeds. (My automatic reaction: "I'm sorry.") And I had a customer recently that I thought was from East London but turned out to be from Essex. (He sounded a lot like Ray Winstone - I wanted to ask him to quote from the movie Beowulf: "I am ripper... Tearer... Slasher... Gouger. etc" - but sanity prevailed.)

Listening to AIR's Talkie Walkie while looking through my photos is very relaxing.... ^_^

Wow, go away for couple days and there is no way in catching up. Time to clear the sucker.

We have run the gamut from talking about favorite whiskys, Futarama Monopoly to LP saying a big PHAK YOU!! to Final Gear.

Last edited:
And Final Gear survived? The man is a pillar.

And Final Gear survived? The man is a pillar.

No no no, he didn't storm off. He told us "PHAK YOU!!" It means he is very proud of us.

See, this is why Final Gear has to be a part of your life ALL. :shock: THE. :shock: TIME. :shock:

:shock: !!

Last edited:
Had some American guys at my work today (I now work for an American company that has just branched out into the UK) and they had pretty strong accents. I'm guessing they were from the mid-west. Anyway they were having a bit of difficulty understanding the regional accents and also the slang over here. When a male colleague said he was 'going out for a fag' I thought the guy might choke to death :) Having said that though they did bring pizza so I thought they were awesome! The whole thing made me wonder what slang we take for granted that Americans wouldn't know what it meant? And vice versa.
Strong accents. Probably thought "fag" was "teh gayz." My guess would be deep south? Midwesterners' accents aren't that over the top.

I giggled at that "I'm going out for a fag". My mind went first to the American meaning, then realized this was UK slang.

Tomorrow, back to 6:30am wake up and not getting back home till 10pmish. Glad it all ends next month.

Why is demonoid broken. I need to pirate things I already paid for damn it!

Why Demonoid?

Because the public site torrents are less likely to have seeders.

Strong accents. Probably thought "fag" was "teh gayz." My guess would be deep south? Midwesterners' accents aren't that over the top.

It wasn't an Alabama accent... maybe Texas? I don't know they said y'all and like by elongating the i to epic proportions. They definitely thought fag was gay. It does mean that here too, obviously it's insulting and normal people wouldn't say it in a serious manner, but it means cigarette too.

Heh, maybe.

I have a normal person work schedule now, 8 am to 5 pm.

It's neat to be like the rest of you and I mean that all seriousness; I naturally walk to a different beat than the rest of society, so being able to fit makes me feel a bit better about myself.

Jay, have you ever read Steppenwolf? The central theme sounds like something you might find interesting.

I have a normal person work schedule now, 8 am to 5 pm.

It's neat to be like the rest of you and I mean that all seriousness; I naturally walk to a different beat than the rest of society, so being able to fit makes me feel a bit better about myself.

:unsure: The rest of us? There are normal people here?