Random Thoughts....

LP, you're over thinking this. From what I understand, you have other profs behind you. At this point in your career, this guy doesn't matter. Everyone is aware people don't always work very well in certain situations / with certain people, but as long as you get your shit done at a professional and academic level, personal shit like this won't matter. If you don't want to hang out with these douchebags, don't. Just do your thang, and don't stress.

I just had to do a Health and Safety online training program thing. I work something like ~10-15hrs a week in the tech department of a students union. I'm aware of any dangers around me because chances are its already had a hack at my skin. We get paid an hour's wage for it (minimum wage of ?6.08 of course) but frankly it was offensive.

One section spoke of how "Any substance can explode given the right set of circumstances" - I use a lot of tape in my job - anyone ever seen that explode? Or is the right set of circumstances 'sitting on a lump of C4'?

The funny thing is I didn't even get 100% because I misread the question "PPE should not come with instructions regarding safe use?" and answered True. What a waste of half an hour of my time.

I just had to do a Health and Safety online training program thing. I work something like ~10-15hrs a week in the tech department of a students union. I'm aware of any dangers around me because chances are its already had a hack at my skin. We get paid an hour's wage for it (minimum wage of ?6.08 of course) but frankly it was offensive.

One section spoke of how "Any substance can explode given the right set of circumstances" - I use a lot of tape in my job - anyone ever seen that explode? Or is the right set of circumstances 'sitting on a lump of C4'?

The funny thing is I didn't even get 100% because I misread the question "PPE should not come with instructions regarding safe use?" and answered True. What a waste of half an hour of my time.

Hm. Now that I think about it, I probably could make tape explode without additional explosive assistance. But it would probably take a couple of semi trailer loads of tape to do it.

Hm. Now that I think about it, I probably could make tape anything explode without additional explosive assistance.
FTFY :p

I'm tired and squiffy. You are all bastards and I hate you all.

Wubsticks!

:tease:

Well there is always door number 2...:p

Ipecac.jpg

Isn't that door #3 technically? :tease:

LP, just man the fuck up and say you're not up for it. You don't feel like going, end of story. If they get pushy, stick to your story. If you want, you can also turn it around: "Look guys, I just don't feel like going, and it would be nice if you respected that" (though possibly with less condescension, at your discretion).

Dude, I'm a straightforward and frank guy, but this guy will hold shit against me because he's a giant vagina. So yes, I will tell him that I don't feel like going, but I just needed something as a support statement in case this guy just starts asking questions, which he does.

Why not use this as an opportunity?

Get him alone and say in the nicest way possible that you have no desire to go because of his constant, passive-aggressive bullshit. I realise the wording needs to be considerably more subtle but that's the nub.

LP: I am afraid I won't be attending the bonfire event.
Professor Asshat: Why not?
LP: Because on occasion A you did Z, on B you did Y, on C you did X, on D you did W......... and for this reason I don't feel particularly like I am a valued member of the lab/respected in any way by you/want to spend my free time in your company etc etc. You don't treat me with the respect I know I deserve and for this reason I have no desire to spend my free time in your company.

If you are concerned about that biting you on the ass then take someone in with you that you trust or alternatively put it in an e-mail and copy in anyone else you feel will have your back should he up the Asshat ante any time in the future.

Regardless of the method by all accounts he is a bully. Stand up to him. And if he escalates then keep fronting him and when you do make sure it is front of other people and you have all the facts to back up your case.

Good luck. I've had to deal with workplace bullies in the past and it ain't fun. I hate to think of anyone else, particularly someone as brown and nummy as you, having to put up with that shit.

Thanks dude.

LP, you're over thinking this. From what I understand, you have other profs behind you. At this point in your career, this guy doesn't matter. Everyone is aware people don't always work very well in certain situations / with certain people, but as long as you get your shit done at a professional and academic level, personal shit like this won't matter. If you don't want to hang out with these douchebags, don't. Just do your thang, and don't stress.

I'm definitely over-thinking it, but at the same time I'm not stressing about it mang. At all. I just don't want to give him a feeble statement of "Buuuut I don't waaana goooo, waaah" and then poop my pants and have them change my diaper.... wait where was I going with that?

I was just asking for a simple statement or excuse that I could give him, that is more legit. Turns out I do have one... I've got a ceremony coming up next weekend where I officially become recognized as a Brahmin. I was supposed to get it when I was 7 but we moved to the country at that time, so... and then afterwards we had to deal with shit all the time, so we never got a chance to do it. I need to consult with the priests of our local temple, and I'll be doing that probably this Saturday, but I can always say Friday to my lab people.

I got my fair share, even lion's share, of hangouts this week, I'm not forever alone, so I feel good to duck out of this (which tbh isn't my idea of socializing anyways).

After months of procrastinating I finally said fuck it and dyed the roots of my hair back to black again. Result? Dye everywhere, and though I got most of my hair covered I managed to miss a spot - get this - at the FRONT, on the part of my hair that would be considered bangs if I had them.

My reaction: "I'll just dye that spot purple and say I did it on purpose." :lol:

Sorry, but this is mandatory and if I didn't do it, someone else would.

:threadnopics:

I just realized all those guys are wankin' their signs. Mind: blown.

Do you want pics of before or after I dye the spot purple? :p Actually, its barely noticeable, I'm just a nit-picker when it comes to my hair...

Wha-eva.. Both? :p

I might get around to it. Probably won't be putting in the purple until Saturday and probably only if enough people notice it. :lol:

I'm not too fond of taking pictures of myself and since this wasn't a major hair dye operation like last time (pink EVERYWHERE) I wouldn't count on it. :p

updated to 2.3.6

now i only need to get the thing to say the contact's name when they call and I shall be done

updated to 2.3.6

now i only need to get the thing to say the contact's name when they call and I shall be done

I know on Verizon branded handsets this is possible. Dunno about other phones. I'm sure there's an app you can install though.

I bet Jay, if anyone, could relate to this as much as I could.

Al1nWRdCIAAZSA9.jpg

What trend have I started with my random coffee poll thread?

this might seem like a random thing (random thoughts I guess) but does anyone know a good place to buy (and ships obviously) refurbished art deco taps?