Random Thoughts....

That sounds like just a guideline as to how much oil to add if it's low on the dipstick. Pretty useful actually because I never know how much to put in to get it back to where it should be.

^ I've been searching online and I need apparently about 6.5 litres of 5W-30. This means I need to go back and pick up two extra 1 litre bottles. This way it just might be worth my money to have Toyota put in their own oil.

Isn't the point of synthetic oil that it lasts longer? Why am I paying 3 times more for fully synthetic oil even if I'm just following Lexus' oil change intervals?

Two things here - 1. a top up (needed when the oil is lower than the bottom notch on the dipstick) and 2. an oil change needed when the oil is completely replaced as it is old.

You need to monitor the oil level and top up periodically - once or twice a month and take for a full oil change on the milage chart (or by time) as specified by the manufacturer.

Holy shit 2k posts. Viper doubly owns my soul.

^ I'm going to Toyota so hopefully overfilling won't be a problem. I bought my own oil at WalMart just to save 50%.

Now I found a blurb in the owner's manual which says about 1.6 quarts of engine oil "should raise the dipstick level from low to full."

What I can't figure out is does that mean I bought way too much oil at 5 litres, or if that guideline is just for topping it up? 1.6 quarts seems like a suspiciously low volume.

Hmhh Lexus I250 is what you own correct?

That engine probably takes between 5.5 and 6.5 quarts of oil. Most Toyota six cylinders hold somewhere in that range depending on their application.

Nothing wrong with putting five quarts in starting the engine letting the filter fill up and the oil cycle through then checking the oil to see how much more you need to add.

Remember it is always easier to add oil then subtract.

Just wanted to thank those of you guys who replied to me about the oil change stuff. I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see how much they want just for an oil change, as it seems I'm having little luck in taking my car elsewhere and saving some cash.

I actually never check my dipstick... didn't do it on the Acura either. Is it really necessary on modern cars with relatively low mileage? I don't think the IS has a oil level monitor, since it has a physical dipstick (unlike new Bimmers for example).

You really should check the dipstick anyways. Just do it while your filling up with gas. Plus, then its something to do while your car is filling.

^ Except fucked up Canadian laws a few years back removed the holding mechanism from the pumps, so now you need to stand there for 3 minutes holding the trigger. :rolleyes:

^When was that? I came in 2002 and you had to hold the trigger everywhere.

EDIT: Because my posts have begun looking oddly more like years than a post count and remembering that 1896 (post up to date) was the first year of the modern summer olympics, I decided that from now on, to the best of my abilities, I will try to post big events that happened in every year that corresponds to my current post count, starting with this one.

\1896
\\first X-ray photo taken
\\\first modern Olympic Games (Summer Olympics)
\\\\Charles Dow publishes the first edition of the Dow Jones Industrial Average
\\\\\The world's first escalator was built in Coney Island, New York.
\\\\\\Alfred Nobel, inventor of the dynamite and Nobel Prize dies

Last edited:
All cars have a warning light for when the oil level gets so low that it's about to cause some damage. But since my car never really eats up any oil, I don't really check the dipstick either.

^When was that? I came in 2002 and you had to hold the trigger everywhere.

Not sure, maybe around 2000? I'm not sure how dumb exactly the federal government thinks the average Canadian is.

^ Except fucked up Canadian laws a few years back removed the holding mechanism from the pumps, so now you need to stand there for 3 minutes holding the trigger. :rolleyes:

Is it because people got their fingers caught in it or something? Scruff McGruff smells Nanny State-ness.