Random Thoughts....

It sounds like it's meant to inconvenience people 99% of the time and protect them from the 1% when something goes wrong.

^ Yeah, it's the same with those signs at the gas station telling you not to use your cell phone. What else am I gonna do but talk/text for 3 or so minutes if I have to stand beside my car?

^ Except fucked up Canadian laws a few years back removed the holding mechanism from the pumps, so now you need to stand there for 3 minutes holding the trigger. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think that's the same here... Everytime I fill up, and it's always at the same petrol station, I have a play around with the trigger to try and lock it but have never been able to do so. It's quite annoying just standing there.

And yes, I check the dipstick every now and then, maybe once a month.

^ Yeah, it's the same with those signs at the gas station telling you not to use your cell phone. What else am I gonna do but talk/text for 3 or so minutes if I have to stand beside my car?

^I think that's because they fear the radiation could set the whole place alight, but that's just about as dumb as "please turn off your ipod or else the entire plane will crash during takeoff"

In France, the triggers also don't lock, don't really know why. The triggers even have the locking levers but they are just somehow disabled, it was pretty annoying.

^I think that's because they fear the radiation could set the whole place alight, but that's just about as dumb as "please turn off your ipod or else the entire plane will crash during takeoff"
In fairness I can totally understand that one. I've forgotten to turn mine off when flying small planes and it makes a horrible buzzing noise as the signal is handed off between stations. It's so bad that it drowns out whatever happens to be on the radio at the time. I would hate to think what it would be like with dozens or even hundreds of cell phones doing it all at once. I know it affects the big planes too because I was on a flight and the copilot came on the speaker during climb (well after we had first been told to turn them off) and said to turn them off in a very annoyed voice.

All cars have a warning light for when the oil level gets so low that it's about to cause some damage. But since my car never really eats up any oil, I don't really check the dipstick either.

Yeah that is not the case. Most cars have a warning light, usually called an idiot light, but that only comes when the oil pressure near zero. By the time the oil PSI is down that low it might be too late. Some cars do have a sesor that monitors the actual oil level but I wouldn't trust my engine to that sensor. Checking the engine oil everytime you fill up or st least once a month when you check your tires.

^ But using mobiles on airplanes is being legalized around the world. If using electronic devices does in fact jeopardize the plane's electrics, how are they circumventing that problem now?

Also, how will phone service even work thousands of feet above the ground? Most cell phone towers I see aren't much higher than maybe 100m.

^ Except fucked up Canadian laws a few years back removed the holding mechanism from the pumps, so now you need to stand there for 3 minutes holding the trigger. :rolleyes:

Wow, that is a steaming pile o shit right there. That has to be one of the dumbest nanny state laws I have ever heard.

Have you ever flown an aircraft?

No but i doubt my ipod nano is going to bring a huge airplane down because I'm listening to Pantera a bit too loudly :p. Didn't Mythbusters prove anyway that ipods and cellphones don't really disrupt transmissions? Granted, they were stationary on the ground, but if we can use ipods while taxiing, and we can use them while in the air, then I doubt it should be too much of a problem. Cellphones are another thing, and yes I'm sure that if multiple people were all using their cellphones at the same time, it might cause a disruption, but I was talking about small electronics like media players.

In fairness I can totally understand that one. I've forgotten to turn mine off when flying small planes and it makes a horrible buzzing noise as the signal is handed off between stations. It's so bad that it drowns out whatever happens to be on the radio at the time. I would hate to think what it would be like with dozens or even hundreds of cell phones doing it all at once. I know it affects the big planes too because I was on a flight and the copilot came on the speaker during climb (well after we had first been told to turn them off) and said to turn them off in a very annoyed voice.

Wait, did you mean that your cellphone was causing the problem or the ipod?

^ But using mobiles on airplanes is being legalized around the world. If using electronic devices does in fact jeopardize the plane's electrics, how are they circumventing that problem now?

Also, how will phone service even work thousands of feet above the ground? Most cell phone towers I see aren't much higher than maybe 100m.

They're only allowing that on phones that have an in-flight mode. You can still access everything in your phone as per usual but the phone doesn't seek out a signal...

I dunno, maybe someone more tech-savvy can explain that better, that's just my guessing of the whole thing.

The problem with cellphones and most iPods is either: interference with radio communications between plane and tower, or inducing erroneous current into the plane's wiring. The cellphones because they transmit radio waves, and the iPods, because the hard-disk emits small magnetic interference.

More airlines are allowing their customers to use their cellphones in-flight because
1. They now have planes with wires that are properly shielded.
and/or
2. They found a way to circumvent the interference with radio-emitting IT equipment.

So the main problem is that some airplanes are old and cellphone technologies are evolving all the time. Thus, this restriction is because air traffic authorities don't feel like testing cell-phones and IT communications equipment to see whether they interfere or not.

Postcount: 1898
\world's first fatality from an automobile accident.
\\The United States annexes the Hawaiian Islands
\\\Caleb Bradham names his soft drink Pepsi-Cola
\\\\Marie and Pierre Curie announce discovery of a substance they call radium
\\\\\Enzo Ferrari is born
\\\\\\

Last edited:
I usually take my celly out when I want to steer the plane myself...

Anyone ever stop to consider the exact ramifications of FCC Rule #15? Just read it sometime, and consider why a government would implement that rule.

No but i doubt my ipod nano is going to bring a huge airplane down because I'm listening to Pantera a bit too loudly :p. Didn't Mythbusters prove anyway that ipods and cellphones don't really disrupt transmissions? Granted, they were stationary on the ground, but if we can use ipods while taxiing, and we can use them while in the air, then I doubt it should be too much of a problem. Cellphones are another thing, and yes I'm sure that if multiple people were all using their cellphones at the same time, it might cause a disruption, but I was talking about small electronics like media players.

Wait, did you mean that your cellphone was causing the problem or the ipod?
I'm pretty sure it was my phone because it's done the same thing in my Disco when I'm driving around with the stereo on but it's never done something like that with just an mp3 player on.

I believe that the planes are using a tracvision style system, much the same as how jetblue gets direct TV.

I'm pretty sure it was my phone because it's done the same thing in my Disco when I'm driving around with the stereo on but it's never done something like that with just an mp3 player on.

Its the phone. Certain cell phone signals get picked up by speakers and other electronic devices. It happens all the time with my iPhone. Discos are particularly vulnerable since their speakers aren't shielded very well.

Come to think of it I get that buzzing at the same spots on my commute to and from school so it must happen when my phone is handed off between towers. I've learned to prepare for it by moving the phone away from the stereo it because the buzzing is about 46 times worse than an alarm clock.

As far as having to turn off mp3 players and other electronic devices I think they say to turn them all off so the flight attendants don't have to deal with identifying every device everyone is using. Not to mention accidents are most likely when on the ground and during takeoff and landing so it could pose a safety problem if someone cranks their mp3 player up to 11 and can't hear instructions in case of an emergency. I'm always too busy looking out the window to miss not being able the device. :D