Random Thoughts....

Spending my night not doing what I want (playing NBA 2K14), but pouring over all the RCTs that were referenced in the recent landmark JNC 8 hypertension study. Looking at the significance of various event rates and how they are parsed statistically.

Suddenly I feel very Germanic.

Just got back to Spain after a long weekend in France. I guess the food was TOO good, as since I've been back I haven't been able to keep anything down. Lord I need my mommy.

Just got back to Spain after a long weekend in France. I guess the food was TOO good, as since I've been back I haven't been able to keep anything down. Lord I need my mommy.

You're back!

Glad to see people I haven't seen around for a long time posting again. :)

Oh noes! Surface of the Pacific Ocean has one thousandth something Cesium-137!
Have you heard of this thing called the food chain and what it does to the concentrations of pollutants in marine animals?

lolwoops, payed the wrong credit card. I guess I could just go throw more money away to get rid of the big credit... yeah, sounds like a good plan.

Also, onions fried in chicken and bacon grease (aka what came off my george foreman) is awesome. Man, why have I been using oil like a chump?

I hate shopping for shoes with 4E wide feet. This is ridiculous.

See shoe I like has all the right features and no extra wide option.

Sees running shoe I like and no extra wide option.

Sees trail shoe I like and only new balance offers one in my size.

I love new balance best shoes I have ever owned but they don't typically make boots that work for me.

Last edited:
Have you tried Red Wings? THey are really a great boot.

Random Thoughts....

Today was interesting.

I'm on call this week and received a call at 1:30am. Spent 3 hours on the phone finally figuring out I need to go to this customer. It's 4am. Stop by the office, grab parts, go. 2.5 car ride later I make it (barely, I was so tired). It's now 8am. I fix problem by 10am. Now it's another 2.5 drive back. Stop by the office to drop off unused parts and paperwork. Go home and fall asleep for 3 hours. Wake up around 6pm for dinner.

What a day. I am so tired. :(

This kicker? The contractor supposed has a service contract and I wasn't supposed to go. Screw that, it's 1:30 in the morning. Answer your damn phone next time.

Last edited:
Boy, I can't solder worth a damn.

That's what I thought about myself until I realised that I was doing it ALL WRONG. You getting the thing you're soldering nice and hot before trying to apply the solder? Or maybe you're just messy :p

This kicker? The contractor supposed has a service contract and I wasn't supposed to go. Screw that, it's 1:30 in the morning. Answer your damn phone next time.

Yeah, on call was great money (for us anyway) but I'd get sent to stuff I shouldn't have been at. Still, sometimes I was glad I went. Once found one lady, no english and just been removed from a domestic violence situation, had just moved into a unit, and she'd gotten locked into a room and all the door furniture had fallen off. Her and two small kids in a partly furnished bedroom, second floor flat, no way out the window on a 35 degree Christmas day.

The contractor that passed the property as suitable for occupation got a blast from me.

Flux is the key to a good solder. That and a soldering iron that cost more than $5.

I'll agree wholeheartedly on flux. A cheap iron isn't the worst thing in the world, you just need to be sure your work pieces are hot enough and not be melting the solder directly with the iron to dab onto the contacts.

Unless you're drag soldering SMDs.
With a good amount of flux.

Minor details.

:lol:

Have you tried Red Wings? THey are really a great boot.

My Red Wing work boots were great at UPS and my old shop. After 8ish years the leather uppers finally started coming apart. Probably the best boot I ever owned but I don't need a work boot now and Red Wing doesn't make hiking boots. It looks like they have a sub-brand Vasque that does so I will have to check them out. I didn't know about that thanks for the suggestion.