Random Thoughts....

Nabster

Has Slutty Mustangs
DONOR
Car(s)
1969 Mustang Coupe, 2019 Mustang GT, 2011 F150
Oh, I have something vaguely related to the topic at hand. I'm fairly sure I'll get tumbleweeds back from this, but does anyone have any recommendations or know a good source for skiver desk leathers? I just finished refinishing an old desk and got it put back together and moved back in my apartment this evening, and now about the only thing left to do is replace the leather inserts on the top.

warden

Car(s)
2016 Hilux Diesel Dual Cab, BMW R1200GS Adventure
Oh, I have something vaguely related to the topic at hand. I'm fairly sure I'll get tumbleweeds back from this, but does anyone have any recommendations or know a good source for skiver desk leathers? I just finished refinishing an old desk and got it put back together and moved back in my apartment this evening, and now about the only thing left to do is replace the leather inserts on the top.
I to am interested in this, about to refurbish an old desk here.

Hemihead

Car(s)
Vaz 21023, Peugeot 605 SV24, Ford Mondeo 3.0 Ghia
A upholstery place or a saddle maker might be able to help out?

Nabster

Has Slutty Mustangs
DONOR
Car(s)
1969 Mustang Coupe, 2019 Mustang GT, 2011 F150
I to am interested in this, about to refurbish an old desk here.
Budget twice the time you think you need and don't be surprised when it takes three times longer. If you're stripping old finish and have lots of detail, you might consider sending it out to be dipped, mine didn't have too much detail but it still took longer and I didn't get everything out that I would have liked to. You might not have some ridiculous faux antique finish to remove though...

This was really quite ugly up close:

And a bazillion hours of sanding and several applications of paint stripper later (with still a bit more to do around some edges):

And as it sits now, ready for new leathers and original hardware after tumbling two days in walnut media, two to three coats of Minwax dark walnut stain and three coats of semigloss polyurethane:

Heathrow

Yes, as in the airport.
Car(s)
1995 BMW 325i SE
Leathers for Desks Oxford, UK

Just a Google search rather than a recommendation, but I was pretty sure that somewhere in the UK would do this. They look like they ship overseas and postage UK is only ?8:00.

:tumbleweed: :p

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
I don't know about the fabrication, but I know Edelman and Garret leather both make finished products, and are very very good quality leathers for high-end contract/hospitality/office furniture and decorative panels. For sure, Edelman makes wall and floor tiles. Spinneybeck is another high-ish-end leather used in the same furniture world.

Last edited:

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Feet, bus pass... :(
Norwegian police takes care of very drunk guy from northern Norway:
[video=youtube;AGU5U-DDwiA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGU5U-DDwiA[/video]

ninjacoco

puffalump? inquire here!
DONOR
Car(s)
'10 Lulzcer GTS, '84 Porschelump 944, '71 VW 411
Not sure of the date yet, but PREPARE YOUR ANUS, JOEL.

https://roadtrippers.com/trips/fluffy-and-stefs-high-school-reunion/532673311be74a7e8b000060

Looking at estimates for gas 'n' crap for this. Also, Fluffy and I need to violate the continental divide somehow (probably while wheezing) and find some way to drive the track that was way too close to my high school. How did I not sneak Mom's car on it? My life is incomplete.

tl;dr, need sofas to crash on en route, TBD this summer.

Old Lace

:yawn:

I should be getting to bed... However, there's still laundry I need to finish.
My tv died so I've been using it and the tv desk as a laundry clothing rack for the last...week and a half? Only just started putting away stuff late last night and I still have a bit to put away.

Could do it now but ugh :yawn: Tired.

Hemihead

Car(s)
Vaz 21023, Peugeot 605 SV24, Ford Mondeo 3.0 Ghia
Not sure of the date yet, but PREPARE YOUR ANUS, JOEL.

https://roadtrippers.com/trips/fluffy-and-stefs-high-school-reunion/532673311be74a7e8b000060

Looking at estimates for gas 'n' crap for this. Also, Fluffy and I need to violate the continental divide somehow (probably while wheezing) and find some way to drive the track that was way too close to my high school. How did I not sneak Mom's car on it? My life is incomplete.

tl;dr, need sofas to crash on en route, TBD this summer.
You know, if you wanted places to crash along the way maybe you should have left out the "prepare your anus" bit. People might get a bit unsure about your intentions. :p

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Horween Leather Co. They supply all leather Wilson, Rawlings, and fancy shoe companies.

The footballs you see in every NFL game use Wilson footballs. My mousepad is a square of that very leather

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Random Thoughts....

^they are? I know their Shell Cordovan leather cannot be beat. Their leather tanning liquor is mixed not by a secret recipe but, by the old guys who have been just adding a little of this and a little of that over the years. My dad's worried when those guys either die or retire since nothing is written down.

Also it's called a Tannery. :)

Going there fascinates me. A factory that's stayed in the same place since 1905 is so cool.

How It's Made went through there to show how they make leather.

Last edited:

Cellos88GT

DONOR
Car(s)
2 Fox Mustangs and a '00 VFR
when your gf is talking to her mom on speaker phone about the bachelor when I'm trying to study for a circuits final...