Random Thoughts....

I typically pack before I leave. Like, wake up, shower, breakfast (if it's not too early), pack, leave. Not sure why but, it's what I've done since I started flying so much for work.

My recent 20 or so flights have been early morning, so I pack everything except my hygiene products I'll be using in my morning shower. I usually check in online the moment we're allowed to, to get the best seats possible...even if we already selected seats online, sometimes better ones come up as available upon check-in.

Is anyone else having problems viewing comments on recent Reddit posts?

for people who travel a lot and stay in hotels, do you check for bedbugs?

for people who travel a lot and stay in hotels, do you check for bedbugs?
I have done that a few times, incuding my most recent stay at a hotel. The room stank and I thought that might be the smell of the damn things, but I couldn't find anything. Stupidly, I thought "well, it's only for one night and the weather means I can open the window to get the smell out" - yeah, right... never did figure out what it was.

I did the first year but, standardizing with IHG hotels, I've not seen a reason to. All holiday inn and express' are kept well enough that I've felt ok not checking for bugs.

I did the first year but, standardizing with IHG hotels, I've not seen a reason to. All holiday inn and express' are kept well enough that I've felt ok not checking for bugs.

After doing hours of research tonight, I think i know what my game plan is

-buy large ziploc bags, some regular grocery bags, cheap pajamas, a LED flashlight, and a plastic storage container large enough to fit my duffel bag.

-pack items into ziploc bags then place inside duffel. Bring box of disposable gloves (which i own already).

-upon arrival: leave everything in car except for flashlight.

-Inspect room using flashlight, disposable gloves, checklist and various pics gleaned from websites

if satisfactory:

- bring duffel directly into bathroom. it will live on the sink or on the doorknob inside the bathroom when i'm using the sink.

- each day's dirty laundry goes directly into a ziploc bag

at end of trip:

- duffel gets placed from bathroom sink directly into plastic storage container that's in back of Jeep. Container is immediately sealed.

- drive directly to laundromat at home and empty items directly into washer - items will be washed and dried on hot heat, including shoes and duffle bag.

- clean items go into new ziploc bags, then into just regular grocery bags i have, and returned home.

- i immediately take shower

I need to figure out what to do with the clothes I'd be checking out in though...that's the fatal flaw in this plan unless i strip immediately and pray that my residential dryer and washer get hot enough at home.

I suspect i'll feel weird sleeping on the pillows there - i may just say fuck it and bring my own pillow and pillowcase - i'll toss that fucker before I go home.

Note that trip advisor reviews show many have said no signs of bedbugs, ditto the yelp entries. I'd just rather not.

What hotel are you stayig in? Like Flareside said, if its a large well known chain in a fairly populated area theres no need for most of that. I regularly stay at a Holiday Inn that does thousands of nights worth of stays per year just with Ford, so they make sure everything is clean not to lose an account like that. So unless you're staying in Uncle Billybobs Backwoods Bayou Motel, most of that gameplan seems way too extreme.

Rick... relax :lol: I have never checked for bed bugs. Because I stay at reputable hotels and not motels where the previous occupant might have been a prostitute. Looking over your plan, you're probably better off pitching a tent on the lawn or tossing a sleeping bag in the Jeep.

Unless you're my mother who just watched the 20/20 special on how nasty some rinky dink hotels are, really, don't worry about it.

What hotel are you stayig in? Like Flareside said, if its a large well known chain in a fairly populated area theres no need for most of that. I regularly stay at a Holiday Inn that does thousands of nights worth of stays per year just with Ford, so they make sure everything is clean not to lose an account like that. So unless you're staying in Uncle Billybobs Backwoods Bayou Motel, most of that gameplan seems way too extreme.

I'm staying here: https://www.orbitz.com/Newark-Hotel...key-paid-date20160324000000-link-wave1148197&

The reviews seem good so i'm probably overthinking stuff.

Rick... relax :lol: I have never checked for bed bugs. Because I stay at reputable hotels and not motels where the previous occupant might have been a prostitute. Looking over your plan, you're probably better off pitching a tent on the lawn or tossing a sleeping bag in the Jeep.

:lol: Well..this is Newark soo..... :p

In all honesty you're right, when I think...I tend to overthink. A lot.

No one's immune. Somehow, bedbugs even got into the federal building here after two different people in different departments traveled to DC.

The first link is a different hotel, thank FSM.

The 2nd one is is from April 2015. I know Bedbugs can practically live forever but I'm hoping they were aggressive in treating the issue.

Worst comes to worse, I have a backup hotel, even if it's further away and more expensive, I'll deal.

No one's immune. Somehow, bedbugs even got into the federal building here after two different people in different departments traveled to DC.

Yikes...

Yeahhhh, you are overthinking it.
Your plan would be appropriate for these places

:lol: A hotel called the "Mona Lisa" yet looked like that screams shady.

Last edited: