Random Thoughts....

To all you corporate types.... For internal interviews for lateral job moves, do I need to wear a tie or not? I've heard arguments for both.

I'd say if you usually need to wear a tie for the job then yes since the interviewer needs to see if you're comfortable wearing one, otherwise it's optional IMO.

I'd say if you usually need to wear a tie for the job then yes since the interviewer needs to see if you're comfortable wearing one, otherwise it's optional IMO.

Its going from a job that usually jeans and a polo to another job thats jeans and a polo. I figure for the interview I'd wear slacks and a button down, but am questioning the tie.

Yes. It's usually expected for you to dress up for a job interview. A Full-Windsor means professionalism if the interviewer wanted you to dress up and that you went the full mile for the interview if he didn't mind either way.

Yes. It's usually expected for you to dress up for a job interview. A Full-Windsor means professionalism if the interviewer wanted you to dress up and that you went the full mile for the interview if he didn't mind either way.

Don't listen to this guy, he dresses up just to take the garbage out, let alone go to work :p

I value dressing up, but I'm trying trying to figure out whats appropriate here. Obviously full suit is overdoing it for an internal interview.

The consensus I'm getting from my peers in automotive engineering is to wear a button down and slacks. I'm going to add in a tie, just because I have several Blipshift shifter ties, so I think that would be a good touch and appreciated by the particular group I'm interviewing with.

Its going from a job that usually jeans and a polo to another job thats jeans and a polo. I figure for the interview I'd wear slacks and a button down, but am questioning the tie.

When I went for my interview at my current job, slacks and a button down was sufficient and seems to be with the people we've hired since. The daily attire is jeans and polo or button down, or long sleeve button down. *technically* the daily attire if you're in the office is supposed to be tie and all that garb but, nobody does that. It's in the company handbook that came from the land of many germs. If the north american CEO comes down, slacks and button down but, that's all.

Had an interview for an internal job last year, found out about it when I was called it. So I was wearing shorts and a shirt :D

Also, woo

urgRj8n.gif

Have to buy a birthday gift for the boyfriend but still up in the air of what to get him. What would be a gift that you would want and why?

Can't go wrong with a button-up shirt and tie. I don't think it's particularly over-the-top, and if a suit isn't "you", then I wouldn't bother unless you think it's a part of your regular duties in this role. if you are comfortable in a suit, though, I wouldn't begrudge anyone unless it didn't fit well.

Have to buy a birthday gift for the boyfriend but still up in the air of what to get him. What would be a gift that you would want and why?

I like getting something that is a higher quality of something than I would normally buy myself. Like...if i were to buy a tool, I'd get something from Home Depot or Lowe's, but if I were to spend more money there are lots of higher-end manufacturers and it would be a treat to have those...but I normally wouldn't.

If i were to buy a wood plane, I'd probably buy this one ($50-70), but I would love to own this one ($210-250). I would never spend that much money on myself, but I would really really appreciate it as a gift.

Last edited:
What would be a gift that you would want and why?
A) An art print, specifically a print of this painting: Pertaining to Yachts and Yachting. I'd love one because I got lost in the painting the last time I paid a brief visit to the City of Brotherly Love. Trouble is, the available prints all have some sort of major deal-breaking flaw. They might be in b&w, the picture may be altered (presumably to avoid having to pay royalties) or the price may be up there in the sky.

B) A thing that the Americans seem to call "Cooktop Induction Griddle" or a variety thereof. I have an induction cooker and no grill, but want one and this seems to be a workable solution.

Can't go wrong with a button-up shirt and tie. I don't think it's particularly over-the-top, and if a suit isn't "you", then I wouldn't bother unless you think it's a part of your regular duties in this role. if you are comfortable in a suit, though, I wouldn't begrudge anyone unless it didn't fit well.

I don't mind wearing suits, I like them even, I just bought one specifically that still looks good with a t-shirt under it :)

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/germany-just-got-a-bit-bigger
While you weren't paying attention, Germany just got a bit bigger. In the previous century, the central European country waged two wars to increase its territory. But some time in the past months or years, it gained about 500 square meters (5,382 sq. ft) without a single shot being fired. All thanks to the Kirnitzsch, a small river that forms part of Germany's border with the Czech Republic. As someone noticed last April, it changed course ? to the advantage of the Germans.[...]
The river shot first. :|

Went with this. White pattern shirt w/ my gray shifter tie and blue/orange Fossil watch. T-30 minutes.

An experience
- patting tigers
- fine dining or degaustation event, all the bells and whistles
- class in chocolate design/tempering or glass blowing or something I know nothing about
- track day in a v8 supercar or something exotic
- pamper day followed by a nice hotel room, room service, and things deemed NSFW

Why? Stuff I have. It sits in boxes or in drawers or gets thrown out. It requires dusting or whatever. Memories? They last right until the alzheimers kicks in. And spending time doing something great or interesting with someone special is just better.

Or a huge party at paintball / lasertag / gokarting, followed by beer and pizza with a bunch of good mates.

-----------------------

Good Luck CrzRsn!

Last edited: