Random Thoughts....

With our parliament finally deciding in favour of marriage equality, my own (heterosexual) marriage is, IIRC, supposed to feel less important or even worthless.
Why does it not? :?

Last edited:
Does that mean the pride parades will stop? I don't get why we need to have parades just because you like dick.

*or pussy, we have to be inclusive here ;)

Does that mean the pride parades will stop? I don't get why we need to have parades just because you like dick.
Why would they stop? They're about a lot more than "liking dick (or pussy)", e.g. the end of being arrested for this preference. And since people celebrate all sorts of things with parades, why not this?

With our parliament finally deciding in favour of marriage equality, my own (heterosexual) marriage is, IIRC, supposed to feel less important or even worthless.
Why does it not? :?

That is not what it means at all. It means that those other groups will now learn what hell marriage can be first hand. ;)

I will never understand why some choose to be so petty about it. Just accept that not everyone is the same.

Random Thoughts....

I will never understand why some choose to be so petty about it. Just accept that not everyone is the same.

And I get that, I just don't see the need to have an annual parade that shoves it in people's faces. We don't have parades for straight people loving each other for the sake of it, do we? Nor is there black parades.

Do they force you to go to the parade?

If they start putting their dicks in your face, punch them in the nuts. Until then get over it.

And I get that, I just don't see the need to have an annual parade that shoves it in people's faces. We don't have parades for straight people loving each other for the sake of it, do we? Nor is there black parades.

Are you serious? No, you don't "get that".
I don't mean to be harsh, but you should step out of your bubble, just for a bit.
You don't have parades for straight people because you don't get arrested, beaten up and killed for being straight.
You don't have religious leaders screaming in your face that you are an abomination and you will burn in hell just before they throw you off a building,
You don't have politicians proposing "conversion therapy".
You aren't being denied the same rights as straight couples do.
That's just scratching the surface, and apart all of this why should you bother? It's not like you're required to be gay or even take part in the parade.
I am not sure about parades, but Black History Month, Martin Luther King Day and many other things are there for the same reason. Everything isn't about you, or me, for that matter. Respect the differences.

Last edited:
We don't have parades for straight people loving each other for the sake of it, do we?
Ever been to, let's say, New Orleans in February or early March? ;) There's also a ton of fertility symbolism in the heathen-Christian holiday mixtures that many of us celebrate. In other words, just because the celebration of procreation is so ingrained in our culture that you're completely used to it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I don't mean to be harsh, but you should step out of your bubble, just for a bit.
You don't have parades for straight people because you don't get arrested, beaten up and killed for being straight.
You don't have religious leaders screaming in your face that you are an abomination and you will burn in hell just before they throw you off a building,
That's just scratching the surface, and apart all of this why should you bother? It's not like you're required to be gay or even take part in the parade.
I am not sure about parades, but Black History Month, Martin Luther King Day and many other things are there for the same reason. Everything isn't about you, or me, for that matter. Respect the differences.

Ok. But, how does a parade change things?

Even if a pride parade is nothing but an excuse for people to dress up, dance and get laid by their preferred (homo)sex, I can't see the harm for people not taking part, apart from minor traffic problems for blocking off the street where the parade is held.

See below please.

Visibility.
"Look. We're here. We're people. We are not going away and we deserve respect."
In a nutshell, that's it.
Also, what Dr_Grip said.

This. By being visible, it removes the "stigma" and "shame" that many think that being LGBTQ must have. It shows that, despite the pain, discrimination, and hardships that many LGBTQ have experienced for decades, we will not be stopped as a community. We exist. We live, laugh, and love like any other group of people.

It shows people who may be struggling to understand their sexuality that there are people just like them out there living great lives and enjoying themselves.

It opens the eyes of others who aren't LGBTQ - there's more of us than they realize, in many positions in the world. In that way it is a way to get people out of their bubbles that they may be in, to have them remember that not everyone is like them/has the same shared experiences. And that it's ok.

99.9% of people in pride parades/celebrations aren't coming up to straight people and attempting to "Convert" them or whatever. They're being themselves and that should be embraced.

Last edited:

This.

Ever been to, let's say, New Orleans in February or early March? ;) There's also a ton of fertility symbolism in the heathen-Christian holiday mixtures that many of us celebrate. In other words, just because the celebration of procreation is so ingrained in our culture that you're completely used to it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

And this.

Because it shows solidarity, it gives gay and straight people the chance to mix and have a good time and it's a perfect way to stick two fingers up at the narrow-minded assholes who can't accept that people aren't all born the same.

If this was Macy's Thanksgiving parade, a Veterans' March, Mardi Gras or a Christmas pageant we wouldn't even be having this conversation but I appreciate you are a church-going, mid-Westerner and may have been exposed to certain prejudices over the years. Newsflash - gay, bi and trans people are not broken or abnormal, they are as natural and normal as you and they are no more "different" from you as someone with blond hair or dark skin.

Did I ever say gay or straight people are broken? No, all I said was that now that it's pretty widely accepted, the parade shouldn't be needed. But, thanks for assuming that just because I live in the Midwest and go to church that I am narrow minded.

I never called you narrow-minded, I merely suggested that your life experience may be the reason why you might question the "need" for a parade.