Random Thoughts....

Kiki bought herself a Christmas gift - a kilt for me.

So here's the thing, I've never owned a kilt and I have no idea what the hell I should wear with it as an aging 30-something so I don't look like a failed punk rocker.

On the up side, Kiki seems to really enjoy it and has threatened to get me a more traditional one in my family tartan (this one is a solid neutral color).

Edit: Yes, I already played/sang The Drunken Scotsman at her, which only solidified her desire to buy more kilts.

Last edited:
You have family colors?

My family is descended from part of the MacDonald clan. I need to do come more research on it because some of the details don't add up, the two family names I've been told aren't both from Scotland. The MacDonalds are but the McReynolds are Irish, not Scottish from what I can find. It's possible I'm related to both, but the way it was told to me is that the McReynolds were "part of" the MacDonald clan, which doesn't make sense.

Blind_Io;n3543246 said:
Edit: Yes, I already played/sang The Drunken Scotsman at her, which only solidified her desire to buy more kilts.

Blind_Io;n3543270 said:
My family is descended from part of the MacDonald clan. I need to do come more research on it because some of the details don't add up, the two family names I've been told aren't both from Scotland.

Hmmm...

Well, here's a suggestion for Kiki's next kilt purchase for you...

6vO417a.jpg

:evil:

Those of us who are of Scottish descent are usually proud of our heritage.
Back when I was competing in stage rally, I liked having my helmets painted with some variation of the U.S. flag on top combined with my family's tartan around the base.
This one didn't come out exactly the way I asked the painter to do it, but it's not like you can easily ask for it to be redone. He was supposed to have a 'furl' in the flag and he did take some mild liberties with the tartan...

SL

e0OVWKy.jpg

SquareLeft;n3543364 said:
Those of us who are of Scottish descent are usually proud of our heritage.
Back when I was competing in stage rally, I liked having my helmets painted with some variation of the U.S. flag on top combined with my family's tartan around the base.
This one didn't come out exactly the way I asked the painter to do it, but it's not like you can easily ask for it to be redone. He was supposed to have a 'furl' in the flag and he did take some mild liberties with the tartan...

SL

e0OVWKy.jpg

Cool idea, nonetheless.

Spectre;n3543335 said:
Hmmm...

Well, here's a suggestion for Kiki's next kilt purchase for you...

:evil:

Gah, goddamn it! Cannot unsee!!

Sometime in the next week I will go get my family history so I can delve into it some more.

Had an honest barber today. He’s trimming the back of my head and goes “you got a wicked fucking cowlick back here.” First time anybody has mentioned or made attempts to fix it.

:lol:

I watched an American movie today called The Kings of Summer and there is a scene that includes four people in which one of them gets bitten by a snake. None of the four people present knew the first-aid procedure for a snake-bite! That scene seemed highly implausible to me. Surely in just about any group of four random people, somebody will know how to administer first-aid to a snake-bite victim. Okay, maybe not in Ireland.

Are children not all taught this stuff in other countries?

It's all about the probabilty of something happening. In Europe and the US there aren't as many venomous snakes as in Australia so if you would teach that to your children they would forget about it since they hardly ever use that knowledge. In Australia on the other hand the probability of a snake bite is much higher and I guess you hear from snake bites in the media all the time so you're much more aware that there are indeed venomous snakes out there.

In other words: if you would teach every child everything which could kill you, even if it's very improbable that this will ever happen to a large portion of people you wouldn't have time to teach other things. :p

Last edited:
Yeah, but America has its fair share of venomous snakes. They might not be as venomous as ours, but deadly is deadly. If you don't know how to treat the wound, it doesn't really matter if you were bitten by an American snake with venom strong enough to kill you a few times over, or an Australian snake with venom strong enough to kill you a few hundred times over. You'll die either way. I get that dangerous snakes are pretty rare in the UK and Europe, but surely much of America would fall into the range of one dangerous snake or another.

CraigB;n3543778 said:
I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to do if bitten by venomous snake. The old Hollywood saw of sucking the venom out is probably bunko.

Standard procedure is crying for about five minutes, then panic, then collapsing and meeting your maker.

stiggie;n3543774 said:
I watched an American movie today called The Kings of Summer and there is a scene that includes four people in which one of them gets bitten by a snake. None of the four people present knew the first-aid procedure for a snake-bite! That scene seemed highly implausible to me. Surely in just about any group of four random people, somebody will know how to administer first-aid to a snake-bite victim. Okay, maybe not in Ireland.

I think Eye Q has it about right. I am sure there are areas in the US of A that is it fairly well known what to do with a snake bite, and how to identify the venomous snakes. But in most of the US of A, there aren't many snakes that can kill you. There is one species in Michigan, but it is not as venomous as the same species is in the south west.

It is also not all that common for people to know CPR.

stiggie;n3543774 said:

Used to be taught in the US. Not so much any more - course material was cut so they could be taught Why Heather Has Two Mommies.