Random Thoughts....

That's just the 24-hour news cycle and the weed smoke in Denver making you stressed and paranoid :p

It's testicular cancer that you need to worry about. ;)

Nope just a joke. Random Thought - Why don't we put Jonas Salk on the $100

For some reason woke up with the phrase "Bros before hos" in my head. Then having just read a couple of posts from Momentum57 and rickhamilton420 started pondering if there was an equivalent for gay men.

Then it came to me...

Chums before bums.

My otherwise perfectly serviceable Moto X4 has developed a problem with the USB port, so it's time to retire it before I can't charge it at all.

A Moto One Hyper is going to be the successor and should be here in a week.

My otherwise perfectly serviceable Moto X4 has developed a problem with the USB port, so it's time to retire it before I can't charge it at all.

A Moto One Hyper is going to be the successor and should be here in a week.
It isn’t just dust, is it? I dug quite a bit of fluff out of the lightning port on my phone a couple of days ago.
Yeah, I lalso have the X4 and in 2.5 years of ownership, I had instances where I had to clean out gunk from the USB-C port that was making it charge slowly. Replacing the cable with a new one also helped after cleaning didn't help and the new snug fit cured the slow charge.

I can't recommend the magnetic connectors enough for preventing this kind of issue with any device. The ports on my iPhone and mouse are spotless because they've been plugged up with the connectors since new. They do handle data and not just charging.

Reactions: MWF
I can't recommend the magnetic connectors enough for preventing this kind of issue with any device. The ports on my iPhone and mouse are spotless because they've been plugged up with the connectors since new. They do handle data and not just charging.
I always thought they were just a gimmick but now you mention that aspect I may have to invest.

I always thought they were just a gimmick but now you mention that aspect I may have to invest.

There's definitely a gimmick aspect but they definitely have practical benefits, depending on the device it's nice to be able to 'plug in' blindly or when it's dark too. Great for car-mounted phones though because you don't have to push or pull a connector.

This is what I've been buying, I have a newer set with fancier plugs that I bought to compare but it's honestly no better than this older style.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NetDot-Magnetic-Compatible-Smartphone-i-Product/dp/B07MGTM6T9

It isn’t just dust, is it? I dug quite a bit of fluff out of the lightning port on my phone a couple of days ago.
Nope, I've cleaned it out. The plug goes in all the way, but it physically wobbles once it's in there.

Not to state the obvious, but have you tried a new cable? Type-C cables are supposed to mostly wear the cable, not the port.

Yep, tried multiple cables - all with the same result and all those cables work fine in my tablet. The phone is the only consistent variable. This is something that's happened to other X4s, and at 3 years of use, I feel that I've gotten my money's worth.

Supposedly there's a way to repair it with the new plug, but it's more than I'm prepared to do with the risk of bricking the phone entirely. I'd rather take the chance to replace it while it still works a little.

There's definitely a gimmick aspect but they definitely have practical benefits, depending on the device it's nice to be able to 'plug in' blindly or when it's dark too. Great for car-mounted phones though because you don't have to push or pull a connector.

This is what I've been buying, I have a newer set with fancier plugs that I bought to compare but it's honestly no better than this older style.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NetDot-Magnetic-Compatible-Smartphone-i-Product/dp/B07MGTM6T9
MY MIND IS BLOWN

I must try this whenever I buy a replacement for the phone I just broke.

MY MIND IS BLOWN

Sit down because I just remembered I'm using another one for a button box on my server. It has a micro Arduino clone and a USB cable to the server for basic serial data, the cable is tied up out of the way. Every time I moved the server for cleaning or maintenance I would forget that the cable was there and eventually pulled the micro USB port off the board. Flashed the program to another board and used one of these connectors, if I pull the server out it just detaches from the magnet.

I haven't posted anything on this forum for quite a while... I'm wondering how everyone is going. I heard about Alex last year, it's so sad...

:wave:

It's always nice to hear from escapees, hope you're well at the moment along with your nearest and dearest. Can't believe it's over a year now since we lost Alex, in a way it's good that he didn't have to live in fear of this virus but it doesn't stop it being a tragedy.

I haven't posted anything on this forum for quite a while... I'm wondering how everyone is going. I heard about Alex last year, it's so sad...

All safe and sound at this end. Thanks for dropping by. Maybe the upshot of this thing will be a reappearance of old friends. Hope you and yours are safe and well.