• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Random Thoughts....

So you're basically not allowed to repair your car?
You are allowed, of course, but using "colorful" parts might get you in trouble.
If Portugal has a road tax/registration tax for cars, and I assume they do, that would probably be considered tax evasion. Germany certainly sees it that way.
Correct. Sometimes I see vehcicles for sale with a tempting price and at the very bottom you see "UK registration".

farty mcfartbutt

Im unsure if it was the beers I had before leaving my apartment for good with my neighbor, Friday evening, or the town swimming pool‘s brühwurst and fries are to blame.

Kindergarten summer fest last Friday i discovered: most parents are weiiiird.
Maybe I’m the weird one, I’m ok with that. But are Kindergarten parents a representative cross section of society? I sure hope not… 😵‍💫

Not becoming like them is an even bigger one.
Parents are fucking weird
I think the unwritten question in my post was supposed to be: why though? I don’t think I’m any more or less weird than I was before being a dad. Or maybe I just don’t know?
Lack of sleep? Less freedom to dick around? Responsibility? None of that fits the type of weird that I encountered.
Ofc there’s the regular assholes s as well, but I’m not even necessarily counting them…

Having kids seems to be a watershed. Friends who never have had kids I seem to be closer with than those who chose the children route. Friendships seem to be built around a common purpose or focus - I may have become friends with people because we both ride motorcycles, but it grows beyond that. I think people with children tend to be drawn to those who can related to them and understand them, that means other people with that common purpose of raising children.

My house is very not child-proof and I have a dog who was abused by kids and gets aggressive around young children - so we can't have kids over at our place. We don't have that same restriction with adults. I've had parents minimize or belittle my choices because I didn't have children; or better yet, get very resentful that we travel more cheaply with only two tickets instead of 4+, that we can go do track days and "be irresponsible" and "not grow up". That tends to put a damper on any kind of relationship.

For whatever reason, it seems like having children results in one group going one way and kind of being together, and the other group going another way.

Yeah I had my mother ask a lot and finally got a bit harsh about it. I started saying that I’m not having kids just because you want them. I can’t even push myself to date someone to have kids with, be it with a women to make our own, or buy some on the market (adopt).

Maybe it’s because I was given a taste of it starting at 13-14 years old when my parents chose to foster then adopt two kids who are siblings. I felt so restricted as I had to help out from to time. No free time to go places, never mind the difficult 20 questions of who I’m with or where I’ll be and do my parents know them shit.

It's the ones that seem to be raising an army that scare me the most. Anything more than 3 kids is concerning to me. My friend in the police was telling me a couple of clueless/insane parent stories recently and I got a reminder of the shit parenting that goes on when a family abandoned their small child in a plane seat on his own because they were too tight/didn't care enough to book seats together.

Currently no intention of having kids, it honestly feels a bit cruel to the kid to actively choose to have one right now. Some friends that I don't see any more (because priorities changed much like @Blind_Io said and they became parents over everything else) had very adventurous lives but choose to put that aside. Good for them, I hope they're happy but I don't get it. :dunno:

Neither of my parents are upset that me or my sister have no intention of becoming parents, we often joke about how bad we would be at parenting.

Last edited:
Someone needs to raise gearheads to appreciate the cars we collect!

For whatever reason, it seems like having children results in one group going one way and kind of being together, and the other group going another way.
Oh this is something I totally get, it just sort of happens…
Doesn’t explain why most of the other parents (we should be the same group same direction kind of thing yeah?) at the kindergarten seem weird as hell to me 🙈

Strangely enough our former neighbors with similar age kids I’m perfectly comfortable with. Was that just dumb luck? 🤣 imagine the odds of that, if indeed, as adu said, all parents are fucking weird.

Meh, again, maybe I’m the weird one 🤷‍♂️

I think @Blind_Io brings a good point: the fact our kid was accidental maybe plays a part in the lack of connection with most couples with kids.
Of course it caused changes, but we never built our lives around the project of having a kid, and we try to does as much as we want without it being an obstacle (and the fact that he is 14 and very independent also helps).
Sidenote: I thought he would be a weirdo that does not care about cars, but this year something clicked and now he wants to know EVERYTHING about cars. He even wants to buy an old NA Miata and restore it as a father-son project. He also does not care for expensive supercars and prefers things like Miatas, BRZs, AE86s...

I think @Blind_Io brings a good point: the fact our kid was accidental maybe plays a part in the lack of connection with most couples with kids.
Of course it caused changes, but we never built our lives around the project of having a kid, and we try to does as much as we want without it being an obstacle (and the fact that he is 14 and very independent also helps).
Sidenote: I thought he would be a weirdo that does not care about cars, but this year something clicked and now he wants to know EVERYTHING about cars. He even wants to buy an old NA Miata and restore it as a father-son project. He also does not care for expensive supercars and prefers things like Miatas, BRZs, AE86s...

This means your theory of never owning a car again might not go to plan. :D

Having met you, Mrs. Redliner, and Redliner 2.0, you guys are very close, even if what you say is such that you don't plan your life around your son, I still believe you do/have done that perhaps in a more passive way instead of making parenting your main focus like you're some sort of American Nuclear Family.

course it caused changes, but we never built our lives around the project of having a kid
That may be a big point actually - and very nicely put. That latter part is indeed very different for many parents. While I wouldn’t say our daughter was accidental, we really didn’t make big plans… and that didn’t change much after the fact. We also didn’t Baby proof the apartment in a big way tbh.

Yeah, children being just part of life and not the one and only focus of everything is a big positive, I agree. Not to the point of neglect, of course.