Random Thoughts....

Not as common now - mine is not carpeted and I have mixer taps too but old housing stock unless updated will be single taps. Older people in my experience like suitable (i.e. does not rot with damp) carpet in the Bathroom but it is a lot rarer now.

Is it still common for British bathrooms to be carpeted?

This used to always shock me when I went to the UK... even stranger than the separate hot/cold taps. By the way, are those dual taps still common too? Just trying to play along with the current theme. :p

Dual taps are still common (I'd say they were the norm and the standard). Carpeted bathrooms are fairly common - a lot of my friends' houses have them - but we have tiles. For no real reason, really, other than they're easier to clean in a bathroom.

Seems to depend upon where you are in the country too teeb. Both my Scottish and Irish relatives have carpet for instance (not the youngsters tho' who live in 'modern' flats).

By the way, are those dual taps still common too? Just trying to play along with the current theme. :p

Yeah, and they annoy the piss out of me when I'm visiting relatives in the UK :mad:

The store I work for ONLY sells faucets with separate hot/cold levers for the bathroom sink...

For public use installations, California code for new installations is usually a balanced-pressure set-up I think, but in the home that type of thing is only required for the shower.

My grandparents had carpet in their one bathroom, but only because the flooring needed to be replaced, and they had acquired some new free carpet they were using in the dining room, kitchen, hallway and sewing room, so they just continued it into the bathroom.

edit: Just now realized you were talking about separate faucets...not just controls...nevermind on that.

Steven Wright:
"You know those old fashioned sinks that have a separate spout for the hot and the cold water? I have a shower like that. I have to keep running back and forth."

I like carpet in a bathroom; it means your feet are nice and warm when you come out the shower.

Granted it's a nightmare to keep clean and probably harbours germs like nothing else, but there's nothing like the feel of soft fluffy carpet under a bare foot.

In fairness a decent bath mat would probably work just as well and be cheaper, too.

We can't do that here. Because the house is too small, if you have the shower on 'hot' for too long, when you open the door (even after time to dry off/put clothes on etc) the smoke alarm will go off. So annoying.

Hang on, steam sets off your smoke alarm? That's not supposed to happen.

Sounds like you need a new smoke detector.

Oh...what's all this about carpet in the bathroom being nice and warm when you get out of the shower? Do you not have a bath/shower mat?

Last edited:
I have marble tiling in my restrooms, and yes, you need a mat on it otherwise your feet will freeze. And I can never get those dual faucets to work right.

I was in the Chesapeake tunnel and could still use my cell phone no problem.

Verizon might screw up a lot of things but their service is incredible.

I have marble tiling in my restrooms, and yes, you need a mat on it otherwise your feet will freeze. And I can never get those dual faucets to work right.

For all you yanks... this is a british dual faucet.... on the far left you have hot, and on the far right cold. so how do you wash your hands with warm water?
sink2.JPG

Obviously, you must fill the sink with warm water, then wash your hands.
Of course you could just upgrade to a sink designed after the 19th century.

And I can never get those dual faucets to work right.

I am confused. Are you saying that you can't figure out how to get warm water from a sink with a hot and a cold knob or is this some weird other side of the pond plumbing thing that we in the colonies never got?

EDIT: oh i see yeah that is fucking weird

I was in the Chesapeake tunnel and could still use my cell phone no problem.

Verizon might screw up a lot of things but their service is incredible.

Yeah it is. Comes directly as a result of the CDMA technology which sadly is only used in IIRC the US and South Korea so we get screwed on phone options since it's not as simple is swapping chips like the different GSM bands

Last edited:
I am confused. Are you saying that you can't figure out how to get warm water from a sink with a hot and a cold knob or is this some weird other side of the pond plumbing thing that we in the colonies never got?

It's two separate SPOUTS that are 6-8 inches apart. You either use just cold water, or scald your hands with hot then quickly put them under the cold, or wash the sink, fill it with warm water, wash your hands in the filled sink, drain it, rinse your hands and the sink with cold water, and dry your hands.

And don't tell me "What are you doin' all that extra work for?" If you don't rinse, you get soap scum. Soap scum combined with toothpaste, etc etc...no thanks. I'll wash with cold.

Turn both on and move your hands back and forth between them really fast. :lol:

That's actually what I used to do... have them both on and use them interchangeably.

Obviously the rationale behind it is that you're supposed to fill the sink and use that water, but come on, that's kind of gross... in the same way a bath is gross. You're just sitting there floating in a pool of your own filth. :blink:

Wait what? You two get "if you are lonely" ?

Look at this!

http://img140.imageshack.**/img140/5342/eeked4.jpg

This raises so many questions. One of which is "how do my views on the israel/palestine situation make you think i am on the market for bumfun?". Another is "how can I report rep posts as spam?". And thirdly, why do I need someone else's male chicken?
I was going to say it must be my friends ex because she's a massive whore but now I guess not D: