Random Thoughts....

Well this surprised me when I checked out the BBC news website.

Clicky

Basically what happened is the exam board OCR put answers on the back of the Music GCSE listening paper. Fortunately this doesn't affect me as we are on Edexcel, but how can an exam board make such a stupid mistake? These papers are written, then checked, then tested, then checked more before finally being printed, in their thousands. How can everyone miss this? Surely they would check every now and again a random one off the printer.

I was just doing some research for a law paper due tomorrow and I was looking up precedents for intention, and more specifically, what is known as 'puff'. Came across a brilliant case where a man called Leonard tried suing Pepsi because they wouldn't suply him with a Harrier fighter jet after Leonard had aquired the necessary (7 000 000) points. What a stupid idiot. Firstly, surely it was clear to any reasonable person that the advertisement was bullshit (which was what the court held), and secondly, thats a fuckton of Pepsi!

That brings me onto a question though. For any law buffs here, what are the rules regarding offering someone a Toyota Corolla (I know, I know...) and then only supplying a second hand Vespa when the offeree accepted the offer and fulfilled his part of the agreement? I'm looking for something along the lines of necessity/compensation (if I knew I wouldnt be asking) because clearly the offeree does not need the car?

Last edited:
Yea, I actually have a spare but it was 50 miles from where I was. I'm going to pick it up this weekend and keep it in my apartment. Worst case I'll just call one of my roomates and have him deliver it to me.

I did the same thing having locked my keys in the car twice with in a month or two of each instance. Immediately after getting my car unlocked the second time I went and a basic cheap key cut and taped it to the underside of my car. That was 5 years ago and I haven't locked my keys in the car since then. It's amazing how that happens.

I was just doing some research for a law paper due tomorrow and I was looking up precedents for intention, and more specifically, what is known as 'puff'. Came across a brilliant case where a man called Leonard tried suing Pepsi because they wouldn't suply him with a Harrier fighter jet after Leonard had aquired the necessary (7 000 000) points. What a stupid idiot. Firstly, surely it was clear to any reasonable person that the advertisement was bullshit (which was what the court held), and secondly, thats a fuckton of Pepsi!

That brings me onto a question though. For any law buffs here, what are the rules regarding offering someone a Toyota Corolla (I know, I know...) and then only supplying a second hand Vespa when the offeree accepted the offer and fulfilled his part of the agreement? I'm looking for something along the lines of necessity/compensation (if I knew I wouldnt be asking) because clearly the offeree does not need the car?

I recently heard about a contest that implied the winner got a new Toyota, but when the winner found out it was a play on words and the prize was a toy Yoda, she was very unhappy.

That happened in 2000. The lady in question was a Hooters employee, she won a sales competition. Her boss was an ass. She sued the company for breach of contract and I believe won. Apparently they either settled or she won the suit, but I know she got a corolla out of it.

Probably but sometimes it is the principal of the thing.

And sometimes, it's the principle of the thing. ;) :lol:

My uni had its graduation ceremony today and guess who is in my graduating class? One
Michael J. Fox!

Too bad I had decided long ago to give my ceremony a miss. :(

Last edited:
I am now a fully official, 100% adult. How so?

I used a shot glass to measure out popcorn kernels. Enjoy youth while it lasts, kids...

And sometimes, it's the principle of the thing. ;) :lol:

My uni had its graduation ceremony today and guess who is in my graduating class? One
Michael J. Fox!

Too bad I had decided long ago to give my ceremony a miss. :(

Blah nit picky typo that I didn't catch.

I am now a fully official, 100% adult. How so?

I used a shot glass to measure out popcorn kernels. Enjoy youth while it lasts, kids...

:comfort:

I have to work all weekend as well as the bank holiday. <_<

I have to go in because we have a LOT of stuff to do. This is one of these rare occasions where the factory is shut down and we can carry out major maintenance/upgrades. We have some new production lines flown in from Japan and they need power and compressed air. So we're getting two new compressors that are worth about ?300,000 each and weigh 3.5 tonnes. We also have new chillers. All of these need power. So we've got to install the supply to all the aforementioned as well as install the compressors on the system, so we need to shut the system down and one of the factory's three sub-stations for it's own maintenance. Drag 4 cables (4 core 150mm^2, each roll weighs approx 2 tonnes) across the factory from the sub-station through the roof voids and ladder racking. Install the new compressed air network, connect it all up, test all installations and have everything running by Tuesday 6am when production starts again. We're likely to be doing 16 hour shifts on each day at least and truly working our balls off to get everything up and working in time. Let the fun begin.

I just finished watching the season finale for House...wow. :|
I got misty eyes and a lump in my throat.

Jon, you'd better be paid plenty for that! Sounds like one hellova lot of work to do on the weekends.

I've got a distinct feeling the new guy with the Ferrari and the bad spelling won't last very long.

^ Also, who is this AMS impersonator? :p

^ Well, could be, just that someone who owns a Mondial, and is looking for an executive saloon, and hasn't joined the 'Not A Dude' group is probably male.