Random Thoughts....

You know what's a fun game? Next time you're waiting in line at the supermarket checkout, count the tabloids that have Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie on the cover. Those two irritating douchebags are on there every effin' day. :rolleyes:

My count today was 5, my all-time record was 6.
Good heavens, with that acute sense of awareness it is a good job you do not live in the land of the really shitty tabloid (UK) - you'd go nuts!

You know what's a fun game? Next time you're waiting in line at the supermarket checkout, count the tabloids that have Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie on the cover. Those two irritating douchebags are on there every effin' day. :rolleyes:

My count today was 5, my all-time record was 6.

I have a more fun game for checkout waiting.

It's called "Silly women".

95 times out of a hundred, women pass through a checkout with absolutely no idea that at the end of it, they will have to pay for it. Suddenly, they will have to dive into handbags, purses and all sorts, in shock, and fumble for money or a card.

The game is, basically, look at the number of women in front of you in the queue. Guess, for each, to the nearest 10 seconds, how long they will delay the queue when looking for money / change / a card. If you get it right, you get a point.

For each man that hands exact money over, smugly, as soon as the cashier says the amount, you get a bonus point.

The other fun games I play are "How many people can't count to 10 in the 10 items or fewer queue", and "How many people are so technically incompetent they can't work the self-scan tills when the tills blare at them in loud, idiot-proof language".

I hate the self-scan machines. They never work for me and it always goes something like this:

Please scan the item and place it in the bag.
*Scans item and drops it into the bag with a loud thud to be sure it registers*
Please remove the item from the bag and rescan.
*Removes item and scans it again, it now shows up like I bought two of them*
Please place the first item in the bag.
*Presses cancel, goes to a checkout lane operated by a human being*

I seriously hate them and I don't see how they serve any useful purpose. They aren't any quicker than an express lane. They're more hassle for customers. They save the store having to pay a cashier yet the stuff I buy still costs just as much as if a paid employee rings me out. Fuck em. I'd much rather wait 10 minutes in the 3 open lanes even though there are 20 other lanes that are never open. Ever. What's up with that?

KaJuN You have seriously crap supermarkets - ours have to be bloody good and are actually. Amazing realy we can't seem to do anything else much. Oh fight, we are good at that.

I hate the self-scan machines. They never work for me and it always goes something like this:

I seriously hate them and I don't see how they serve any useful purpose. They aren't any quicker than an express lane. They're more hassle for customers. They save the store having to pay a cashier yet the stuff I buy still costs just as much as if a paid employee rings me out. Fuck em. I'd much rather wait 10 minutes in the 3 open lanes even though there are 20 other lanes that are never open. Ever. What's up with that?

I love the buggers.

They're much quicker than the normal cashier-tills (partly because loads of the customers are technophobic, partly because the French like their social contact) and it make me feel all sci-fi.

Although sometimes I do want to scream at people who don't realise that it's the barcodes that make the blighters work.

And, according to another forum I'm on, you can feed them loads of "40p off nappies" vouchers even if you don't buy nappies to get money off your shopping.

They are great for people like me who used to work in a supermarket back in the day. I can scan, bag and load groceries faster then the majority of people working at supermarkets around here. As long as I don't have more then five or six bags worth of stuff I can easily be done before a regular cashier and bagger could be done.

Yay! Reputation beyond repute... aka >= 2000 rep :p

Don't worry man, i hate them as well. It's so useless. When you have a nearly empty regular lane and the express lane, the regular lane is usually significantly faster. The part that's always difficult for me with the checkout place is the ones that don't have a barcode or code label. You gotta go hunting for it and stuff and that just wastes a lot of time.

"Do you have any coupons?"

Of all places, my local Walmart has a fantastic and nearly intuitive self-checkout set up. It doesn't condescendingly tell you what to at every step, and you don't have to hit 15 buttons once you're done, just swipe your card or stuff some cash in and it realizes you're done. Dillons on the other hand ... motherfucking Dillons.
"Please scan your item."
"Please place the item in the bag"
No shit.
"Please remove item from bag."
ARGH!
"Incorrect item weight, please enter PLU code."
What the f....
"Do you have any coupons?"
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

One of these days I'm going in there with a bat and showing that computer what I think of it's tone. Office Space style.

:beer:

^Mind if I join you?

Please insert your method of payment
I got your method of payment RIGHT HERE! *bam whack* *clouds of grey smoke*

Do... you..have... any cou....*melts*
*Grab a brewsky* *dance*

I just had to go and use the machine. My dad likes it for some odd reason, but I hate it completely. I tell my mom you know, its more efficient to go thru a normal checkout line and she agrees.
I think my dad uses it mostly because the code for coffee that they put in the normal checkout line makes the coffee more expensive than if he uses his special code at the machines

Weird...am I the only one here that actually likes it? :unsure: I used to rant about it all the time, but now I think it's the greatest thing in the world when I go to Lowe's to buy a pack of 58-cent washers and use the self-checkout for that. Saves me from human interaction, as well.

And at supermarkets I won't have to play the "Brangelina Counting Game" as well; even though I'm state-wide champion the game gets old after a while.

I've only seen self-checkout machines in Vancouver at Home Depot. :p

They seem pretty useful to me though... there's usually nobody waiting to use them because most people are technophobes here.

My friend (describing when he saw a car doing a burnout): "That's such a waste of rubber and gasoline."
Me: "No, a Prius is a waste of rubber and gasoline. What you just saw is awesome!"

Self checkouts are awesome! You don't have to deal with idiot supermarket staff members. The machines are idiot proof and they take cards and cash. perfect!

Self checkouts are awesome! You don't have to deal with idiot supermarket staff members. The machines are idiot proof and they take cards and cash. perfect!

Except when you pay by credit card - and you need to wait for someone to come and verify your signature, makes it all pointless.

<- Pays for everything with a Visa Debit Card - fee free banking.

OKAY, newsflash here. Here's what happened a few minutes ago.

The York Regional Police SWAT team just busted some guy in my building. The police sneaked in with their cars, sirens off, covered all the exits, swat went upstairs with shotguns, automatic rifles, full tactical gear and a battering ram. :eek:
They broke down the door and took him down. They put him in a restraining vest and took him away. Everyone was here: SWAT, Police, Paramedics and from what I hear the district attorney was also here with the warrant.

Police and paramedics went away and CSI guys are doing their thing as I'm posting. Dusting the apartment for prints and stuff. The guy has a wife and 5 kids. He was the only one home though. Don't know why they busted him, but my mom says she might have overheard something about drugs and guns.

This is a peaceful neighborhood. WTF?? My father's the relief superintendent in the building, so he's got inside sources. Will update you guys as soon as I can.

They busted the door bad though, apparently, the property management is here and they might call my father to come and fix the door on the apartment as soon as CSI finished taking their photos. Don't know if they'll just finish their stuff tonight or put caution tape on the door and seal the apartment up.

Update on the scene in my building, they definitely found several firearms in the apartment. And the district attorney had a whole box full of papers on the guy.

Shit man ... the things you don't know about your neighbors.
Honestly, he lives on the 8th floor and I live on the ground, so we never formally met ... but people around here are peaceful and friendly.

EDIT: Well, that's all I know up until now. We'll have to find out more from management and the superintendent on duty. Or, for the most accurate information, tomorrow's news.

Last edited:
Except when you pay by credit card - and you need to wait for someone to come and verify your signature, makes it all pointless.

<- Pays for everything with a Visa Debit Card - fee free banking.

fbc knows the score :p