Random Thoughts....

Up near my familys land is Fort McCoy; they used to do manuevers in isolated areas with A-10s. You cannot fathom how loud they are, I swear they practiced less than a thousand feet up. And they can move so slowly, so you this way I could, you know, enjoy having my body shook apart and my ears melt. :lol:
Funny you should say that because I've always considered the A-10 to be one of the quietest military planes around. The F-22 is on a whole new level of loud. You know how most jets make that loud rumbling sound after they go by? The F-22 makes that even as it's coming toward you. The first time I heard one flying over me when I was in Georgia I swore it had to have been four F-16s in tight formation. It was that loud. Awesome!!!

The difference is the type of sound. F-16, F-22s, F-15s and other fighters run on turbo jets. The A-10 uses a turbo fan which produces less noise than a turbo jet, but it's also a different sound. It has less of a roar and more of a whine.

The difference is the type of sound. F-16, F-22s, F-15s and other fighters run on turbo jets. The A-10 uses a turbo fan which produces less noise than a turbo jet, but it's also a different sound. It has less of a roar and more of a whine.

All modern fighters run on turbofans, but with varying bypass ratios; that's the ultimate factor in determining the noise of the engine. The A-10 runs much higher bypass than fighters for better low-speed efficiency, so it doesn't have that .... sometimes the English language fails to capture the essence of a modern phenomenon, in this case the noise of a jet fighter at WOT. Funnily enough, if I recall correctly the main reason turbofans took over is fuel efficiency.

Wow the polution in Beijing seems really bad now

IT promises to be one of the most spectacular Opening Ceremonies in history. But will we see it?
Beijing was today blanketed in a pall of smog that cut visibility to about 200m.

Tests undertaken just hours ago by Beijing Now show pollution levels have soared to more than 60 times that of a normal day in an Australian capital city.

Beijing?s Olympic Green is now choking on air with 1730 micrograms per cubic metre ? that?s more than 34 times the national standard in Australia and more than 10 times the standard for developing countries.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/beijing_olympics/story/0,23599,24142569-5014107,00.html

I would be a bit sceptical about that, I was in Beijing about a week ago and all the smog that western news channels were reporting about was mainly just fog.

Still, visability is another thing, as is the heat.

while I have heard that sound at an airshow, and I do agree that it's good. But there's a better one : my preferred way of making your ears bleed is this :

[YOUTUBE]3k8knmNX-Bg[/YOUTUBE]

Having a full field of F1 cars go by is both very painful and very awesome

while I have heard that sound at an airshow, and I do agree that it's good. But there's a better one : my preferred way of making your ears bleed is this :

[YOUTUBE]3k8knmNX-Bg[/YOUTUBE]

Having a full field of F1 cars go by is both very painful and very awesome

Eau Rouge-Raidillon FTMFW.

Academics are a pain in the arse sometimes.

Had an argument with a Unit Convenor today about an assignment from last semester (that was in place of an exam, worth 50%, that was only given back to me last week) because I (well, the whole subject it turns out) have been marked on criteria that is completely different to the criteria that we were given to work to.

Seems like I'm the only student so far that's had the balls to question why that is so. He says he'll have a look over the assignment and the way in which it was marked and will get back to me.

Prick.

Edit: I've also d/l'd my Uni's assessment appeals procedure. If I don't get a satisfactory result I'll be taking this higher up:)

Last edited:
^ I sodding hate professors that change the rules. I had one that issued three new syllabi during the course of the class.

I would be a bit sceptical about that, I was in Beijing about a week ago and all the smog that western news channels were reporting about was mainly just fog.

Still, visability is another thing, as is the heat.

It's hot as balls outside now, mostly because of the humidity. (But it was even worse in Shanghai...still, at least that city had a clear blue day once.)

What's worse is that the weather forecast is predicting rain tomorrow during the Opening Ceremonies. :(

And now for something completely different.

I completely forgot about how loud F1 cars are. When I went to qualifying at Indianapolis the cars were already out before we got to the track. Even when we were standing across the street outside the grandstands the cars were earsplittingly loud. :thumbup:

Or sleeping right next to the arresting cables hydraulics room....
Just one of the reasons I chose Air Force over Navy. But the Navy would have been my second choice is things hadn't worked out.

<Serajadeyn|LT> what are you up to Ice?
<+Ice> molting
<+SteveLevin> eh?
<+Ice> i got severely sunburnt at the beach last weekend
<+Derek> molding*
<+Ice> no, derek
<+Ice> molting
<+Ice> molding is the american spelling of moulding, which is shaping something with the use of a mould
<+Ice> molting = shedding of skin
<+Derek> oh you're not molding a new penis?
<+Derek> :3
<+Ice> no, i'm molting my penis
<+Derek> oic
<+Ice> pay attention
<KaJuN> molten penis? :eek:
* +Derek thinks "sure sure"
<+Derek> moar liek !dicktionary
<Serajadeyn|LT> Ice + Derek = live /b/

^ :lol::lol:

Woo I have a tripod now! Turns out my dad had an old one that he didn't tell me about. It needs a bit of tape, because it rattles a bit, but it should be fine. Apparently he paid around ?50 many years ago, and it seems to be a nice sturdy model. :D

In other news, I saw an F40 today. Along with about 6 other Ferraris. There must have been a meet nearby. No photos as no camera, but it does look good, even after all these years!

Last edited:
Garfield Minus Garfield

Garfield Minus Garfield is a site dedicated to removing Garfield from the Garfield comic strips in order to reveal the existential angst of a certain young Mr. Jon Arbuckle. It is a journey deep into the mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against loneliness and depression in a quiet American suburb.

fSymsOGXOccp6chzLfSvvqMj_r1_500.gif