Random Thoughts....

The one advantage of a small college in a small town is that there are loopholes in regard to parking...namely a city street that goes through the campus where the campus parking people have no jurisdiction, and a convenient strip of parking along the road. And, if you don't register your car with the campus people, they can't pin the ticket on you. Guess whose car stayed on campus for free for an entire semester. :mrgreen:

I love the fact that my Uni is situated next to a train station, on my train line, no more than 15 mins away. And the parking is atrocious at Swinburne anyway, there's a multi storey lot or just council parking...

When it warms up, I start riding, which is even better and saves me money!

my uni is next to a train station as well, it's just that i don't live on the same line so it would be like 2 hours each way...

my uni is next to a train station as well, it's just that i don't live on the same line so it would be like 2 hours each way...

That's true, Monash Caulfield is a pain in the arse to get to by public if you're not a local...

Why is it that whenever people lose their brakes in a TV show, they never ever ever ever remember that downshifting can slow you down too?

^ Because then there would be less drama, and thus you wouldn't be watching it?

^ handbrakes are also a good way of slowing down, as is just switching the engine off and coasting to a halt.
I think it's because TV shows are just TV shows and people are stupid?

As it happens, I don't have to pay for parking literally. However, because my school is so large, you can spend a good 10 minutes looking for parking. The other day I drove down every aisle during a time when most people were in class and found EXACTLY one spot. I suppose I pay for it in gas, then.

I really want to check out the NSFW red head appreciation thread. Stupid work. Ruins everything.

^You're not missing much.

That's a shame. Come on people, step it up! By the way, I actually prefer fake redheads, so get lots o' them.

Note to a friend, when one of our more attractive coworkers walks up to me to talk after she has already clocked out, don't walk up to us and just kind of hang out. Us guys have a term for that and you were doing it bro.

Ah university parking, everyone loves it! It's the only situation I've come across in which the employees get to park closer than the customers. I loved how my last school was so strict with student parking yet so lenient with faculty/staff. The main faculty lot was constantly filled up and they solved the problem by just making their own spots. I never saw a ticket on any car in that lot. If we tried to pull something like that the parking officials would be out there faster than someone running to the restroom after having bad Mexican.

The other thing that irritated me was the way they handled commuter parking. They basically had a monopoly on it and could charge whatever they wanted because there were no other alternatives apart from renting an apartment which is pointless if you're close enough to commute anyway.

I'm absolutely fed up with universities. Educational institutions, especially ones that receive public funding, should not be run like businesses. All the little fees and charges are ridiculous and they put a good education out of reach of so many who are deserving of one. I should not have to pay a $5 service charge for my parking permit to be printed up and handed to me.

The 80s are back in style. I think it's a reaction to the Emo movement, which was a pussification of Goth, which stemmed from Grunge which was a reaction against the 80s happy pop-culture in the first place.

Around and around we go.

The 80s are back in style. I think it's a reaction to the Emo movement, which was a pussification of Goth, which stemmed from Grunge which was a reaction against the 80s happy pop-culture in the first place.

Around and around we go.

I think this whole obsession with the 80s stems from the obsession with irony and kitsch, two things closely associated with the hipster movement that's infiltrated Western culture and hasn't led to anything yet. Things that have been associated with intense cheesiness are back in as young people try to recapture a decade they don't remember a thing about.

There's a great article about the futility of the hipsters in Adbusters - a magazine I don't normally read because it creeps me out sometimes, but this one hit the nail on the head. Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization

I think San Francisco and San Jose are Hipster Central these days; then I go to school in Alameda. I think Alameda should change their motto (if they have one) to, "Alameda: Where Hipsters Go to Breed."

You might be on to something, but I don't get the sense that most these people are wearing 80s fashions ironically. Is there even a way to wear leggings and leg-warmers ironically?

I think San Francisco and San Jose are Hipster Central these days; then I go to school in Alameda. I think Alameda should change their motto (if they have one) to, "Alameda: Where Hipsters Go to Breed."

You might be on to something, but I don't get the sense that most these people are wearing 80s fashions ironically. Is there even a way to wear leggings and leg-warmers ironically?

Ask American Apparel. Nothing is sacred to the fucking hipsters.

8328_pop2.jpg

Go to any college campus and I'll be damned if you don't throw an empty Bacardi Breezer bottle without sprinkling glass shards into the eyes of at least 6 legging-bedecked ditzy sorority girls in their Uggs, North Face jackets, and hilariously oversized sunglasses. :puke:

The 80s, a simpler time when everybody was ugly and cocaine wafted through the trees.

Next thing you know the 280ZX will start going up in value.

My Vista has been flaking out a lot lately... mainly I can't get Logitech software to work for the life of me, and it sucks because I have two products from them.

So I'm giving up and doing a fresh install of Windows. I figured I'd give Vista 64-bit a try to see if I can get anything more out of my hardware. When I tried XP 64-bit it was basically unusable due ot lack of drivers, but I'm hoping Vista will be better.

I think this whole obsession with the 80s stems from the obsession with irony and kitsch, two things closely associated with the hipster movement that's infiltrated Western culture and hasn't led to anything yet. Things that have been associated with intense cheesiness are back in as young people try to recapture a decade they don't remember a thing about.

There's a great article about the futility of the hipsters in Adbusters - a magazine I don't normally read because it creeps me out sometimes, but this one hit the nail on the head. Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization

Half the kids doing the whole retro 80s thing weren't even alive in 80s (or wouldn't have been old enough to remember it anyway) Somehow I don't think mid ninties fashion is ever going to become refashionable...