Random Thoughts....

Am I the only person in the world now who still hasn't read the Deathly Hallows?

It feels that way...one of the reasons why I don't want to read it really:cool:

I read it last week, just because I figured I ought to finish the series. I mean I started it when I was in elementry school when they seemed awesome. Then I got older the trend blew up and I ran away scared. Now that it died down I thought I might as well finish it. Not even worth a trip to the library though I just pirated an ebook.

I myself will never outgrow Harry Potter or and Star War's books. ;) Take my words as you may David, but right now you are at your intense, serious period in life; it happens to everyone ages 18-25.

More like 12-15 to me. No one liked me in school no matter how hard I tried to fit in so I gave up trying to make myself like the crap they did. I am so glad I got that out of the way so soon.

Fuck Harry Potter. I don't know why exactly, but I've hated that entire series from the very moment I heard about it and/or saw one of the books. It is one of the very few things I will not give a fair chance at being good.

The German plate is a 3-or-so year old used one off of a car in W?rzburg.
In my state (Colorado, US), front plates are required, however when we bought the car we registered it in my dad's name. My dad lives in a state where no front plate is required. :)

People in Vic are lucky because they can get a Vic Euro plate!
Europlate_Victoria.jpg

I know, the guys that design the custom plates are about 50m away in the North building :p

:blink: Jeez, lot of Potter hate going on around here. What's wrong with intelligent writing, fallibly human characters, high-quality subplots, and as dirty/wicked a sense of humor as would be allowed in a children's series? Not to mention that it does an absolute minimum of making up names and concepts, borrowing thoroughly from established mythology (if there's such a thing) and the existing occult, something that Tolkien himself did with LOTR, except he was a bit more pretentious and used princes/heirs rather than children as his main characters. Just because it's popular isn't a good enough reason to hate it....it's not Harry Potter's fault that you were picked on in junior high.

Well, I actually wasn't picked on, I tend to be either invisible or just "not-disliked". Anyway, as I implied, I've never read any of the series, or seen any of the movies outside of trailers. It also wasn't popular when I first heard of it. Something about the premise must rub me the wrong way or something. I can't explain it nor do I think for a second that I'm being even remotely reasonable on the subject. This is all a bit odd since I tend to be annoyingly reasonable about everything, and like LOTR. Iunno. Maybe it's the drugs I've never done. They cause all kinds of problems. Jerks.

^ The last book read like a bad fanfiction, Hardly good writing. The one before it was half assed too. After three they went steadily downhill in quality and got longer until you are halfway through the book and thinking "Why is this not over yet". I read romance novels with better use of mythology. And if the popular comment was aimed at me, Harry potter didn't make me unpopular it in fact had nothing to do with what I was taking about it was two different posts I was replying too. I was referring more to things like clothes and music than books.

:blink: Jeez, lot of Potter hate going on around here. What's wrong with intelligent writing, fallibly human characters, high-quality subplots, and as dirty/wicked a sense of humor as would be allowed in a children's series?

I'm sorry, that last one there belongs to Roald Dahl.

:blink: Jeez, lot of Potter hate going on around here. What's wrong with intelligent writing, fallibly human characters, high-quality subplots, and as dirty/wicked a sense of humor as would be allowed in a children's series? Not to mention that it does an absolute minimum of making up names and concepts, borrowing thoroughly from established mythology (if there's such a thing) and the existing occult, something that Tolkien himself did with LOTR, except he was a bit more pretentious and used princes/heirs rather than children as his main characters. Just because it's popular isn't a good enough reason to hate it....it's not Harry Potter's fault that you were picked on in junior high.
For me it's the fact that it's full of pixies and wizards and shit. I've never been even remotely interested in Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or any of that sort of thing.
I've never seen any of those Lord of the Ring movies, either. Or read the books.

I don't think that any of that stuff is bad... i'm just not into it.

^Same here, I rarely give fiction a chance there's the odd book here and there, Bradbury, Fitzgerald, Orwell, no wizard shit, although I can at least appreciate books like The Hobbit or the Odyssey.

Mostly though it's non-fiction, reality tends to be better.

^Same here, I rarely give fiction a chance there's the odd book here and there, Bradbury, Fitzgerald, Orwell, no wizard shit, although I can at least appreciate books like The Hobbit or the Odyssey.

Mostly though it's non-fiction, reality tends to be better.

I'll grant you that. History has enough drama, comedy, action, etc that you don't really need to go to fiction....but who lives only on "what you need" anyway? For the record, I haven't touched any Potter books since finishing the last one some time ago, and have stuck to history books by Robert Massie. His stuff about battleships and tsars have me pretty much hooked.

Reactions: h-p
I read and enjoyed The Hobbit, but couldn't get through the first chapter of Fellowship. It was even worse than Stephen King, which I gave several chances but just found to be terrible, particularly the dialogue. Then again I'm not a read by any means. Loved HGTTG, and I'm really enjoying the Scott Adams book I'm reading now. Theoretical physics books are what I really like.

For me it's the fact that it's full of pixies and wizards and shit. I've never been even remotely interested in Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or any of that sort of thing.
I've never seen any of those Lord of the Ring movies, either. Or read the books.

Valid points.

:D
Chunks of my scalp are falling off
I am a lizard!

I agree wholeheartedly. If there was a scene in Lord of the Rings where a Cobra gunship blew up a bridge while a Camaro jumps over an exploding 18 wheeler while two men fight in the open cargo bay of a C-130...while it explodes, then I would have taken much more of an interest.

I also think they could have fitted those scenes into the plot easily.

I don't get fantasy or sci-fi either usually. Fantasy is mainly 40 pages dedicated to the introduction of 1 million characters

"And Trollath, son of Himham who was cousins with Garry, the King of the land of Erryth......." and so on.

But, this is just a personal opinion,.

I personally don't care if people like the book or like the movie. The fact is, which I hardly ever see someone write, is that I'm GLAD that these movies are getting people to read again. Sure it might be easy reading depending on how old you are, but honestly, when was the last time you picked up a 600+ page book and read it in under a month?

Like with Twilight, the movie was shit but I did go out and get the first two books which are very well written. I read the first book in under 24 hours, same with the second book as well. Have yet to pick up a HP book but either way, I'm happy kids, teens and adults are reading again even if it is because its a pop sensation only.

I have 88 books on my bookshelf, have yet to read 10 books because most of them are in series which means I have to go back and reread the first few books to remember what the heck happened before diving in to the newest one. All of my books are well over 600 pages with super small print.

Yes, I am a book worm. :cool:

Last edited:
I started to read them when I was 28, IIRC 2003. I myself like them a lot. The attention detail is excellent, and they are easy and entertaining to read.

I myself will never outgrow Harry Potter or and Star War's books. ;) Take my words as you may David, but right now you are at your intense, serious period in life; it happens to everyone ages 18-25. After that, you could give two shits about what entertains you or what people think of you. Ask Steve Levin Or Cobol74 on that.

*EDIT* Congrats on the quarter century, Ian! Sonia and I will be married six years come November. I think we will go all the way, too. :)

I read them two years ago out of complete curiosity, and found them to be alright/above average books. I agree with you here jayhawk, there is marvelous attention to detail and and interesting enough plot to keep people "there" with the story. I usually do not like fantasy or science fiction material, for example while I respect JRR Tolkein I find the LOTR books extremely tedious.

You're also right about the "serious phase", but just off on the age and duration. I cared very much about hype/public opinion/what others thought for about one year, when I was 10 years old. After that and a sort of epiphany which I still carry with me, I couldn't give a shit what people think.

EDIT: Forgot, congratulations Cobol74!

Also, another "children's" series which I have enjoyed: Series of Unfortunate Events. More dark and absurdist humour than I have seen in any series for people under 20, and some nice subtle jokes and satire as well.

Last edited:
What the fuck WBCN? Why you moving to HD Radio and internet broadcasting, FM not good enough for you? HD radio is a money pit, oh high quality sound! Bullshit it all depends on your speakers!

Good. Get the channels open for my fucking useless iPod FM transmitter.

/Seriously though, I think that HD Radio thing is stupid and pointless.

Last edited: