Random Thoughts....

I love WebMD.

What is pleurisy?

Pleurisy is swelling (inflammation) of the thin layers of tissue (pleura) covering the lungs and the chest wall.
The outer layer of the pleura lines the inside of the chest wall, and the inner layer covers the lungs. The tiny space between the two layers is called the pleural cavity. This cavity normally contains a small amount of lubricating fluid that allows the two layers to slide over each other when you breathe.
When the pleura becomes inflamed, the layers rub together, causing chest pain. This is known as pleuritic pain.
Pleurisy is sometimes called pleuritis.

What causes pleurisy?

In young, healthy people, an infection of the lower respiratory system by a virus or bacteria may cause pleurisy. Pleurisy usually lasts a few days to 1 or 2 weeks. In very rare cases, the virus or bacteria may spread and cause pleurisy in others.

Other causes of pleurisy include air leaking into the pleural cavity from a lung (pneumothorax), injury to the chest (such as a broken rib), tuberculosis or other infections, or a tumor in the pleura.
Other conditions may also cause pleurisy. These include rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, sickle cell crisis, pulmonary embolism, or pancreatitis. Pleurisy may also develop as a complication of heart surgery.

What are the symptoms of pleurisy?

The symptoms of pleurisy are chest pain and difficulty breathing. The chest pain usually starts suddenly. People often describe it as a stabbing pain and it usually gets worse with breathing. The pain:

• May always be present, but it usually gets worse when you breathe in. You may avoid breathing deeply to prevent the pain.
  • Usually is on only one side of the chest.
  • May extend to a shoulder or the belly.
  • Is usually worse when you cough, sneeze, or suddenly move.
  • May ease when you hold your breath or press on the painful area.
But this type of chest pain can be caused by conditions that do not affect the pleura, such as chest muscle strain and costochondritis.
If a viral infection is causing your pleurisy, you may or may not have common viral symptoms, such as fever, headache, and muscle aches.
The inflammation of the pleura sometimes causes fluid to build up in the pleural cavity (pleural effusion). You may have less pain after this happens, because the fluid prevents the two layers of the pleura from rubbing together. If there is a large amount of fluid, it may prevent the lung from expanding when you breathe in. This can make it hard to breathe. Other symptoms of pleural effusion include fever, chest pain, and a dry cough.

I've had to pee a lot in the last few hours... does WebMD have an answer to that?

I've had to pee a lot in the last few hours... does WebMD have an answer to that?
What is overactive bladder?
With overactive bladder, you have many strong, sudden urges to urinate during the day and night. You can get these urges even when you have only a little bit of urine in your bladder. You may not be able to hold your urine until you get to the bathroom. This can lead to urine leakage, called incontinence.

:p

Or you have a UTI! :thumbsup:

Well, you would have to have a burning sensation when you pee, I think. No idea, never had one :D

God I wish my gym had kick boxing bags that I could pummel. :(

Last edited:
My brain has officially degressed to the point where I can get no more studying done.

I wish the caffeine and sugar would wear off so I can sleep soon.... time to take more drugs perhaps? (gin & nyquil? :lol: )

My brain has officially degressed to the point where I can get no more studying done.

I wish the caffeine and sugar would wear off so I can sleep soon.... time to take more drugs perhaps? (gin & nyquil? :lol: )

I try to avoid caffeine and sugars whenever I'm studying. I find it does more harm than good.

Why can't I fall asleep?! Argh.
WebMD says pinworms cause restlessness and anxiety... do you have itching around the anus at all?

If so, it's definitely pinworms.

Last edited:
I hate vacuuming. Especially when you only have an insubstantial plastic Chinese-made one with the suction power of a mouse drinking through a straw. I don't want to have to go over the same piece of carpet 8 million times! :?
Our totally awesome 1970's Hoover that weighted a tonne and was really hard to steer around furniture...now that was a vacuum cleaner. Lifted the carpet up with the nozzle if you weren't careful. Shame it finally died. RIP.

Mine was like that too when I had it done a couple of weeks ago. What was I worrying about?

BTW when I my mum had hers done, her accountant realised that Centrelink owed her over 1k for a family payment she was eligible for after a certain date, that someone at our local office had told her she wasn't. :blink: Christ they're hopeless. She's happy now though, free monies!

What has been seen cannot be unseen. I just had to remove some hotlink-fail images from a NSFW thread.

My god, the image is burned into my head.

^Sounds like we missed out on something good.