Random Thoughts....

I wonder if eating lamb brains last night will increase my intelligence.

I am so pleased you took your opportunity - Cease the Day ChelsDS Cease the Day!

OK, if you insist that I should cease the day, I'mma go to bed. Did you mean seize?

Despite the humidity here, I really do enjoy Boston. Granted I get confused on where the hell I'm going since there are very little street signs on the corners :shakefist: but the overall city is very nice (has to be, tourist trap). Love hearing the various Europeans conversing between each other, makes me melt :love: Subway isn't all that scary like I thought it would be either :lol: Only had 3 creepy situations so far.

1) Walking to the local subway station, I pass a guy waiting for a bus and when I'm maybe 2 feet from him he said "You're beautiful", looks me up and down, spins on his heel to watch me walk away as fast as I could without making it obvious lol.

2) Ate at a Burger King by the Boston Library and I swear this woman had narcolepsy! She had bought a sundae drink type of thing (I don't go to BK enough to know what it is), she ate some then dozed off. Woke back up, ate some more, dozed back off.

3) Walking back to my hotel there was a guy in a Matrix who was turning on to the same street as I was walking on (headed to the intersection then to subway station again) and driving super slow! Can't tell if he was waiting for me to get past the driveway to the hotel or what. Turns out he was watching me walk because when he finally passed me, he sped off :lol: :rolleyes:

Other than that, I like it here. Not sure if I could handle the winter with me being spoiled during California's "winter" of ~70 degrees in the day to maaaybe ~50 degrees at night. :lol:

That's what I like around here: everything from hot summers to freezing winters. It would be much more interesting I would think to come here in the Winter but it would also feel very cold! Glad you're enjoying yourself, anyway.

Same as England you mean? From what I hear it's pretty similar. Maybe a little less rain but it still does rain a lot in the spring.

I can't believe how fast this thread has added pages. I've been out for 4 days at QuakeCon and other than a single post, I haven't been in and it has added 10 pages.

I can't believe how fast this thread has added pages. I've been out for 4 days at QuakeCon and other than a single post, I haven't been in and it has added 10 pages.

I was gone for a weekend in January and there were 10 or 12 new pages in 2 days.

We either have way too many thoughts, or not enough things to kill time with. Or both.

I am so pleased you took your opportunity - Cease the Day ChelsDS Cease the Day!

It is about that time to cease being up p:

I'd like to come back in winter actually, but I used a lot of money to do this trip so it'll take me awhile to come back out :(

Had a strange day at work. It started with me pissing off a customer because some part of her order hadn't come in, her trying to make up her own impossible time line, thus me getting pissed off at her and letting her know it, somehow this worked in my favor and she was willing to give me enough flexibility to get the order done. Got it done made the customer sorta happy and then the day closed with this random MILF telling me I could call her anytime.

ALSO NEVER EVER TRUST SOMEONE WHO SAYS THEY'RE 'REORGANISING' A NETWORK SHARE...

I have lost several diagrams that I didn't have a backup for (for security reasons usb's etc aren't permitted)
And they're not on the company's back-up tapes either?
(And allowing USB sticks is a big security hole unless it's done right, so lots of people choose to just disallow them)
I'm not on for a lot of the because I have to at least look like I"m doing some work
Use irssi. White letters in a black terminal look work related from a distance :p

We mirror our servers and run regular nightly back ups to a tape subsystem (Which strangely is really optical Discs - go figure [I do actually know why, I was just joking]).

And they're not on the company's back-up tapes either?
(And allowing USB sticks is a big security hole unless it's done right, so lots of people choose to just disallow them)

Use irssi. White letters in a black terminal look work related from a distance :p

Sometimes I don't understand though, why do some companies allow their employees to take their laptops home, but not bring their USBs to work?

Sometimes I don't understand though, why do some companies allow their employees to take their laptops home, but not bring their USBs to work?
Most of the time, company laptops don't actually contain sensitive data. Or at least, if their policies are set up right, they wouldn't; all actual data would be on the company intranet.

Because it's far too easy for an attacker to just put a USB stick in a PC, let autorun copy the malware (keylogger, backdoor or other trojan horse) to the PC and run it with admin privileges. Or even worse, an employee gets a USB key in the mail from some unknown company in the mail as a "sales initiative", when that USB key carries not only the sales promo stuff, but also piggybacks some malware into your network. In both cases you have a serious problem since (sensitive) data is leaking out from your company. It's entirely possible to stop these kinds of attacks from happening by implementing some policies (disallow autorun, disallow executables or scripts to be run from any location but the approved one, or even better, disallow all but approved programs to be run on the PC). Problem is that those policies restrict what the user can or cannot do, and give lots of questions from stupid users ("But on my home PC...."), so people often choose to just ban USB keys altogether.
Employees taking their laptops home however, is something entirely different. People use these to work at home, generally while connected to the workplace via VPN. This is nothing that gives attackers much leverage to get into your network. Both the laptop and the VPN are password protected. If the laptop carries sensitive data, there's ways to encrypt the harddrive to prevent that from getting lost. The risk of viruses of malware entering the laptop when not in the office are not significantly higher than in the office, if configured properly, and decent user education.

Yeah! I just received a $50 gift voucher (coles myer group gift card for any Aussies wondering) from faculty for helping out at open day, and now I'm wondering what I should blow it on.

Maybe a Leather jacket???