Random Thoughts....

I get to return one of my books, too! Yay.

I hate going to the campus bookstore, and not just because buying textbooks is akin to being anally violated with the business end of a shovel. They put the stupid thing on the first floor of a parking garage where only a small strip of spaces on the bottom of the first floor is labelled bookstore parking. I don't have a parking pass because I live within walking distance, so I can't park upstairs (that's all permit parking and they can keep it because the elevator reeks of pee anyway). The whole garage is insufficiently lit and built way too narrow, a fact that's exacerbated by Texans' primal urge to drive huge trucks to compensate for other shortcomings in their lives.

So, I'm with all the alumni and parents, stuck in the huge queue on the first floor, waiting for a spot to open. None of can us see worth a crap in the garage (this makes getting out of your spot a real joy! not.), plus the line for a spot tends to snake out of the garage to clog the street in front of the garage. GRR.

The people in charge of my school's parking issues need to be deported to Antarctica. Let them mess up rows of snowmobiles for a while. Ugh.

Last edited:
I get to return one of my books, too! Yay.

I hate going to the campus bookstore, and not just because buying textbooks is akin to being anally violated with the business end of a shovel. They put the stupid thing on the first floor of a parking garage where only a small strip of spaces on the bottom of the first floor is labelled bookstore parking. I don't have a parking pass because I live within walking distance, so I can't park upstairs (that's all permit parking and they can keep it because the elevator reeks of pee anyway). The whole garage is insufficiently lit and built way too narrow, a fact that's exacerbated by Texans' primal urge to drive huge trucks to compensate for other shortcomings in their lives.

So, I'm with all the alumni and parents, stuck in the huge queue on the first floor, waiting for a spot to open. None of can us see worth a crap in the garage (this makes getting out of your spot a real joy! not.), plus the line for a spot tends to snake out of the garage to clog the street in front of the garage. GRR.

The people in charge of my school's parking issues need to be deported to Antarctica. Let them mess up rows of snowmobiles for a while. Ugh.

Must have missed an important detail here, but could you not errr, just walk there then? :p

Well, not with a stack of heavy books for every class! I'm bad enough fumbling them between the bookstore and my car, much less over a few blocks.

Monash gave us really crappy paper eco bags from the bookshop which tore in half as soon as you lifted it by the handle

I just go to the library and photocopy sections I need.

What I hate are subjects where they force you to buy the textbook because all the tutorial questions, etc, are in there....

Last edited:
I was collecting outside Oxfam today for the Haiti appeal, and a fair few people gave donations, just dropped some ?2 coins or whatever, and then I got the occasional fiver.

Across the road there was a Roma girl selling the Big Issue. And she was glaring at me like I don't know what :lol:

Still, collected about ?70 in an hour, not bad :)

Fucked up about 3 times on the till though :(

I think I bought book sfor the first year of uni, opened them once or twice then never again purchased books
Ditto, I learned most of what I needed to know for my profession (software development) a long, long time before I even went to college. (I started in the early 1980's when I was about 10 years old or so.)
The only reason I even went to college was to get the piece of paper that I would need in order to get in the door with an employer.
I learned almost noting in college about programming. The vast majority I already knew.
In fact I got bored and took a second major (psychology).

Even now when I need to learn something new, I read a few things on the internet and start applying it in practice by writing some code.
For me that is much more effective than reading a book, but I know not everyone learns best that way.

Ohhh wow, just found out a guy I knew from middle and high school is running some scam tanning salon in LA. There was a local news investigation and everything.

How do you run a scam using a tanning salon? Do you use regular light bulbs or something? :confused:

I just go to the library and photocopy sections I need.

What I hate are subjects where they force you to buy the textbook because all the tutorial questions, etc, are in there....

I don't have text books. All of my books are small. As a consequence of that though, they are pretty much all reasonably priced.

This is most of my stack for this semester.

How do you run a scam using a tanning salon? Do you use regular light bulbs or something? :confused:

Motor oil instead of tanning spray?

Edit: 3k and one posts wooo

Apparently he was modifying contracts after they were signed and claiming the customers had entered into a multi-year contract.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTPX1LuTykk[/YOUTUBE]

^Didn't they get a copy of the contract when they signed it?

^Didn't they get a copy of the contract when they signed it?

That still doesen't mean that people read it. I have seen many cases of people just signing contracts and then whining over that they have been tricked, and still the conditions stand clearly on the contract.

That still doesen't mean that people read it. I have seen many cases of people just signing contracts and then whining over that they have been tricked, and still the conditions stand clearly on the contract.

Yes, but the Tanman changed the contract after they signed it. So it should have been quite easy to show their copy, which didn't have any alterations...

Yes, but the Tanman changed the contract after they signed it. So it should have been quite easy to show their copy, which didn't have any alterations...

He was probably doing the "well let me just take this in the back and make you a copy" business.