Random Thoughts....

I just wrote my first post for TheNextWeb. Check it out and lemme know what you think.
Linky

OK here's one. It's a little UK-centric but anyway...

In the 80s at dinner parties we drank Piat D'Or and discussed Acid Rain.....
In the 90s it was Jacob's Creek Chardonnay and Global Warming.....
And for the last 10 years we sipped Concha Y Toro Shiraz while we talked about Climate Change.

Well it's a whole new decade so can we please just get back to good old BEER and WEATHER???????

echew the dinner party and go straight to the pub...

The Supply of Beer (Tied Estate) Order 1989 and The Supply of Beer (Loan Ties, Licensed Premises and Wholesale Prices) Order 1989

If there are any left - they are shutting at a tremendous rate Grrrrr. Law of unintended consequences has struck following the beer orders of 1989(ish).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_Orders

Another random thought - why is a Labour Government loading taxes upon its own supporters - petrol, alcohol and tobacco all disproportionately affect the lower income groups. Why did Labour (and the Tories join in FCS) get rid of the county Grammar schools the route for bright working class kids into the middle classes, and then moan that there was no social mobility - Duh!

OK here's one. It's a little UK-centric but anyway...

In the 80s at dinner parties we drank Piat D'Or and discussed Acid Rain.....
In the 90s it was Jacob's Creek Chardonnay and Global Warming.....
And for the last 10 years we sipped Concha Y Toro Shiraz while we talked about Climate Change.

Well it's a whole new decade so can we please just get back to good old BEER and WEATHER???????
Acid Rain - what happend to that?

[YOUTUBE]CZz4-glFpvk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]cLjrFKaGQs0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I'm moving to another farm in a week or so (for a week) and they have tank water. I love their water. It's the best tank/tap/bottle water I've ever had. I usually steal a couple of bottles of it to take with me when I go.

Tap water > bottle water.

Bottle water doesn't get treated, so it tastes like arse.

Last edited:
Why the hell am I up at 12:30 looking at turbo kits for an Echo....................

Why the hell am I up at 12:30 looking at turbo kits for an Echo....................

Yes, why would anyone do that :p

Gone in Sixty Seconds was on tv last night, I watched it.

Here I am watching it on DVD :S lols

Gone in Sixty Seconds was on tv last night, I watched it.

Here I am watching it on DVD :S lols

The original or the Nick Cage remake?

Only thing I hate about the original is every car crash involved some really cool cars. I guess that's unavoidable if you're making that sort of movie in the very early 70's. But still... :(

[YOUTUBE]qA8gJoT5yl4[/YOUTUBE]

Great heads-up to Van Halen's "Jump" at around 1:50, too!

Only thing I hate about the original is every car crash involved some really cool cars. I guess that's unavoidable if you're making that sort of movie in the very early 70's. But still... :(

What i like is that -i think- Elenore crashing into the lightpole at highway speeds was a real accident that left the main actor/director unconcious. After waking up, his first words reportedly were: "Did we get coverage?". Now, that's proper filmmaker thinking.

What i like is that -i think- Elenore crashing into the lightpole at highway speeds was a real accident that left the main actor/director unconcious. After waking up, his first words reportedly were: "Did we get coverage?". Now, that's proper filmmaker thinking.

That's awesome. :cool: And it made those movies much more exciting to watch because they looked so realistic... since it was all real to begin with. Now we have CGI cars flying through the air, defying the laws of physics, and exploding into a million pieces in a massive fire ball when the fuel tanks get shot by small handguns. :lol:

Hasn't been the best days when it comes to news...

Yesterday my best friend called and told me he had broken up with his girlfriend of 1? years nad moved out of their apartment. She apparently had gotten drunk and fooled around with one of his friends. They were the happiest couple I had ever known, so this came pretty much out of nowhere.

And then today just as I was leaving the the door I received info that my big brother's mother/father's ex-wife has a braintumour and will go to surgery tomorrow. Again, no info on this beforehand.

Strange. Not that I'm feeling anything special, but just makes one think about the uncertainty of life.

That's awesome. :cool: And it made those movies much more exciting to watch because they looked so realistic... since it was all real to begin with. Now we have CGI cars flying through the air, defying the laws of physics, and exploding into a million pieces in a massive fire ball when the fuel tanks get shot by small handguns. :lol:

The odd thing is that proper, done-for-real car chases still stand up to scrutiny, possibly better than their CGI rivals do.

Compare, say, the chase in The Italian Job (original) or Ronin with the ludicrous Chrysler Voyager chase in Mr and Mrs Smith, or Transformers.

[YOUTUBE]Wf1CwtAA810[/YOUTUBE]

Another problem is the quick-cut Michael Bay-style editing of car chases these days... it never gives you any feeling of distance between the cars, their position relative to each other. If you watch Walter Hill's "The Driver" and compare it to the Transporter series, it's obvious why the former is the superior film. And that's the case eventhough the Transporter series have some of the best chases of contemporary movies. The last Fast & Furious was even worse in that department.

The only time i remember such a quick-fire edited car chase to work on some level is the opening chase of "Quantum of Solace" - but even that was not as good as it could have been if it would have been edited not to communicate "dynamic", but "chase".

I think I'm going to cry. Computer has a virus. It's even executing in safe mode. It's going to take at least all day to get rid of it, probably more. Shoot me now.