Random Thoughts....

Anybody else have Pandora radio go full retard on them lately? I was at the gym this morning listening to my usual blend of hip hop, when out of nowhere during a max weight squat set a Googoo Dolls song pops up...

I haven't used it in a few days, maybe I'll give it a listen..

All the local news places are forecasting 12-24" of snow in the next couple days. :|

Humbug.

I've been thinking of subscribing to L'Uomo Vogue (Italian Vogue for dudes, and yes, it's got some content in English), and checked some prices online. A Finnish distributor quotes a cool 154 euro per year, 10 issues. A bit steep, I reckon, and check the Italian publisher's website for international orders. 50 euro + international delivery 15 euro.

Of course, ordering straight from the publisher means trusting my Visa number in the hands of some Italian webmasters :)P) but come on, almost 100 euros' difference..

Trying to order Top Gear, Car or Mojo via the same Finnish distributor is the same, and the site also claims Q isn't even published any more. Hah.

I've been thinking of subscribing to L'Uomo Vogue (Italian Vogue for dudes, and yes, it's got some content in English) .

Sounds very manbaggheavy , anything you wanna share with us? :p

Yes, it's probably the most pretentious thing ever. But it's also pretty freaking cool.

So...

I just found out I did not-so-well on the physics GRE, and I MAY have to take it again.

I don't mind, I need the extra time to study frankly and honestly but.

My parents are going to keeeeeeel me. :(

uomovogue19050601.jpg

Italian Vogue with hunk naked dudes

FTFY

So...

I just found out I did not-so-well on the physics GRE, and I MAY have to take it again.

I don't mind, I need the extra time to study frankly and honestly but.

My parents are going to keeeeeeel me. :(

You'll do better on the next one. My first GMAT score was less than stellar, then I took it again and scored significantly higher...like 100 points higher.

So I'm torn between the decision to try and go to college, or keep trying to find a job. I hate school, the mere thought of any form of it makes me physically ill - and college isn't free, and when you're broke that makes the prospect of it even scarier. Even with the few scholarships I'd probably be able to get, I might still be paying off college dues until I'm dead.

Today I decided I'm going to try and apply for a job at a floral shop. Because, at least as far as I know, they don't require you to have a degree - and I intend to get a letter of recommendation from my high school horticulture teacher just in case. It should pay off, I'm not bad at working with flowers and plants, and I actually enjoy it and there's a floral shop right in town so I figure I have nothing to lose by trying.

Because I really don't want to go back to school. :(

Going back to school or a life of unskilled labour, service industry jobs, barista forever - take your choice.

The mass of parents here on campus to collect their freshmen and the heaps of stuff that freshmen accumulate is really starting to bother me.

I got some dirty looks for just a teeny-tiny tire screech (think squeak-fart length here...like, a second long) as I pulled up to the film building this afternoon. Sheesh, guys. Don't look at me like you and/or the people you know never hauled arse to get anywhere.

I was later than I wanted to be to turn my crap in.

That's not cool.

Of course, going home to mommy at the first possible moment isn't cool, either. I want to spend as much time as possible AWAY from my folks. This "I scheduled all my finals on the first day so I could run home to my parents" nonsense makes about as much sense as a circus midget using a rotten trout as a toothbrush.

Some of us are still taking finals, dammit! Keep your parents at a safe distance away fom the communications building, please. And for Pete's sake, stop using all our parking spaces for move-out while you're at it. Your parents do not go here. They can get away with parking in the (far more expansive than needed) fire lane. GET OUT OF MY SPOT. NOW!

icedlovexoxo - go to college if you can. I may whine about it a lot, but I really love my major even though I'm probably going to have to marry into money just to be able to afford a used omgcocowantsatinyadorableeliseomgomg. But really - I tried finding a job while I was in school, and there were sooo many more things open that just wanted a dadgummed degree that it was mind-boggling. Point is: I adore what I do at the moment. Hopefully there's a job related somehow, but even that's looking more promising post-BA than, say, six years ago.

If you think you can find something enjoyable to do without going to college, that's fantastic...but if you have the chance to go, I still think it's better to be overqualified than not. My parents aren't helping me with much of any of my college costs and I have major envy going for the people who've got any kinds of offers to help them out.

On the flip side, though, if you don't want to go, don't. I've known plenty of folks who've been content sans going to college, and after seeing a ton of miserable kids come because someone else pressured them to get a degree but ultimately drop out because they hate it, I have to say that it's not for everyone and it really bothers me that such an emphasis is made on getting into college now. So, really...it's all about what you want, I guess.

Find something you're passionate about, find a school that offers a degree in it, and run, dude. Plus, college >>>>> high school. More people = more cool people, even if they seem hard to find under all the others.

(Just my take on it. I whine a lot regardless of what I do, though.)

Last edited:
You'll do better on the next one. My first GMAT score was less than stellar, then I took it again and scored significantly higher...like 100 points higher.

Thanks man, I appreciate the encouragement. If I can score at least 80 to 100 points higher on the exam I'd be happy. I'm going to aim for it and just hunker down and study for the next few months. No other go.

Going back to school or a life of unskilled labour, service industry jobs, barista forever - take your choice.

That's the old, reliable college scare tactic.

Thanks man, I appreciate the encouragement. If I can score at least 80 to 100 points higher on the exam I'd be happy. I'm going to aim for it and just hunker down and study for the next few months. No other go.

Yeah I'm really glad I retook the test...I went from applying to a third tier school (UCONN) to being accepted to a top 20 school (Indiana).

So I'm torn between the decision to try and go to college, or keep trying to find a job. I hate school, the mere thought of any form of it makes me physically ill - and college isn't free, and when you're broke that makes the prospect of it even scarier. Even with the few scholarships I'd probably be able to get, I might still be paying off college dues until I'm dead.

Today I decided I'm going to try and apply for a job at a floral shop. Because, at least as far as I know, they don't require you to have a degree - and I intend to get a letter of recommendation from my high school horticulture teacher just in case. It should pay off, I'm not bad at working with flowers and plants, and I actually enjoy it and there's a floral shop right in town so I figure I have nothing to lose by trying.

Because I really don't want to go back to school. :(

College is quite a bit different than high school, but yes it is school. What subjects are you interested in?

And yes you can still have an enjoyable and successful life without a college education.

I'm stuck in a life being sucky phase right now, nothing at all is working for me.
-I set up an appointment with a teacher for after school for help on a project, she isn't in her class and according to the teacher in there she had to leave for something.
-I type up a great essay for an English class assignment and save it to my flash drive, the file isn't on the flash drive for some reason and what is saved on my computer is less than half of what I had typed up.
Grr!