Random Thoughts....

Dads and technology generally don't go together too well.

Try playing a 720p video on it. Let him see it crash and burn. That (well, actually, a standard-def video in this case) convinced my dad to upgrade to the Dell he has now (5 years ago!)

Been there, done that with youtube. He was removing the add ons tonight and it again crashed. It only stopped working properly when we added extra RAM on the computer and blames me for ruining it as I was trying to improve the performance. And besides, he's the one that upgraded IE to not work and for him to ask me how to fix it. JUST USE FUCKING FIREFOX! But no, he still insists on going on IE.

:wall:

I want a new computer. I wouldn't even mind paying for a fraction of it.

Get a part-time job and save up for one?

I'm not that young, and I still have a slideruler, massive T-square and log tables :p

And aren't you an engineer from memory? IT and engineering people would be the exception to the rule.

Far from it, and actually I barely get by PC wise, just attempting to be humorous.

It's true, he records in.... uncompressed mpg *shudder*

Well, I don't exactly remember who is and isn't proficient with computers around here :p

Dads and technology generally don't go together too well.

This is true of my Dad. He says computers, and any phone newer than an Ericsson GH688 are too complicated, and are only useful as paperweights.
He occasionally browses the Trading Post (as they no longer print a newspaper, it's the only way to view their listings), but gets annoyed with the internet being too slow, or the computer not doing what he wants (even though he's done the wrong thing).
He lasts about 20 minutes before getting frustrated and switching it off.

I also work for my Dad, and we get calls all the time from places wanting to sell us website packages. We tell them we're not interested because we don't have a computer in the office, but they just cannot get their heads around it.
I convinced Dad to get a laptop, so that I could use it for (mostly) work related purposes, while at the depot (I've been doing invoices on it for a few months).
Thing is we don't really want any more business. We have plenty of established, regular clients, and really can't handle any more, so advertising isn't a priority.

These telemarketers continue on with their sales pitch regardless, and then ask for an email address to send us more info...:bangin: They get all confused when we say we don't have one, and then hang up.

I also work for my Dad, and we get calls all the time from places wanting to sell us website packages. We tell them we're not interested because we don't have a computer in the office, but they just cannot get their heads around it.
I convinced Dad to get a laptop, so that I could use it for (mostly) work related purposes, while at the depot (I've been doing invoices on it for a few months).
Thing is we don't really want any more business. We have plenty of established, regular clients, and really can't handle any more, so advertising isn't a priority.

Never hurts to get your company out there to people though.

Whatever happened to that no-call register from a couple years back?

Still around, but your registration expires after 3 years or similar. So a lot of people who registered when it first opened need to have re-registered by now.

Owwww... my head hurts :(

Last edited:
I can tell :p

If he is complaining about other people's images being used (i.e. photos of them being posted by you), then yes, you have every right to keep them up as long as you have thier permission. However, the subject of the photo (under Australian law) still has right over the use of their image, including permission to both allow and revoke the right to publish it. So if this guy is kicking up a stink over a photo he is in, by law you have to take it down. If he was to kcomplain to any authority (most likely Facebook), they would side with him.

His "complaint" is that his ex-girlfriend is in them.
She is - as part of a group with my friends, and he doesn't want to see it. Boo hoo. He can untag himself - He hasn't.

Whatever happened to that no-call register from a couple years back?
That is for residential numbers only. And yes, you have to re-register after 3 years. They do send you a reminder email though.

Never hurts to get your company out there to people though.
We have yellow pages ads at the moment. Talked Dad into putting the company name on the vehicles too. They're quite...distinctive, so people do notice.

But Dad is 59 this year, he's said more than once he's had enough, and would lose nothing personally by shutting the doors and walking away.
After 3.6 million miles as an interstate truck driver, and then 30+ years driving buses, I can totally understand that. He's owned the company for 28 years.

It's only that the mechanic has been working here over half his life, his secretary jumped ship from the company that she and Dad worked for when he started this one, the panelbeater can't work on cars anymore because his knees are giving out and he can't get down so low.
He's also in his mid 40's, so people would be reluctant to take him on. He has to support 5 kids.
I could always go back to where I was, or get a job with almost any other private bus company in Sydney, because they all know who I am, and they all respect my father as a good operator.

Dad just feels like he'd be shafting all of us if he were to sell or close the business, he doesn't want to invest more into it, and he has admitted that he couldn't employ a manager, because he'd never be able to leave them alone, and not interfere if he thought that they were not doing things the way he would.

We often have to give jobs away, or get other bus companies to sub-contract, because we just can't do it all. Everyone in our area seems to want buses on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

A regular job or two on Mondays and Tuesdays would be good, though currently we use those days to do maintenance on the vehicles, and I do office work, as the secertary has Parkinson's (got much worse in the last few months, and she can't leave the house), and may have to retire.

We occasionally do some jobs for schools out of area, but when we have to add in travel time from the depot to the pick up, plus Tolls, travel time back, fuel, and the driver's wages for the extra time spent running empty, the cost just gets prohibitive for the people chartering the vehicle.

I'm not that young, and I still have a slideruler, massive T-square and log tables :p

And aren't you an engineer from memory? IT and engineering people would be the exception to the rule.

:wheelchair:

Hi grampa.

Do you still use your log tables or have you succumbed to the dark side (aka you use a calculator/computer/ipod/toilet with built-in graphing calculator)?

Conversation I just had with a friend about her status on gchat (which read "Going to see pigs this weekend woot!")

me: was wondering what the pigs thing was all about
are you actually going to see real pigs?

Her: potbelly pigs
yeah

me: lols

Her: piglets
yeah
we're so excited

me: awww

Her: but I kinda wish we weren't now
cuz the reality is
that it'd be difficult to leave a baby pig at home while at work

me: mind if i ask why you guys are chasing pigs

Her: as a pet

me: OHHH
awwwwww

Her: you thought as food?
lol

me: yeah
lol

Her: lol
no that'd be too sad
not so heartless =P
actually
if we get a pig
I'm gonna swear off pork
mark said that he might not
actually he said that he won't
he really likes bacon
but we won't eat it in front of the pig

Me IRL:
picard-facepalm.jpg

But hand raised pigs are the tastiest. Assuming whoever raises them does it right and exercises the pig, they can't just feed it and feed it and feed it, then it just gets to be a gross fat pig.