Random Thoughts....

Reactions: Jay
He must never be repped again. :p

Haha, mine's the Failtima. I hereby dub the one Jay mentioned the loltima.

- Queen Cocopuffalump (according to Adu)

(Never mind that I can't drive a manual yet and may end up awful at it, too.)

Haha, KaJuN--I'm so poorly-adjusted to the heat here that I regularly get picked on for sweating like a dude. Everyone else may be just fine, while I'm over here with big wet patches under my armpits, make-up that's now running off my face, and damp hair that's frizzed itself back up into a puffball. Screw this heat...and I was even born here! WTF. :mad:

Also: you know you've been slacking too much lately when you lose the foursquare "mayorship" of the gym. Nothing else yet has quite motivated me enough to get off my bum. Now, though? It's ON, freshman dude who stole my title! It's ON. (I feel like such a dork now.)

Last edited:
Driving a manual: Give it just a little bit of gas, let the clutch out s-l-o-w-l-y so you can feel for the bite point. once you do that, apply more power. all the advice i can give you really.

Look who I had to evict from my place of business today.

4773158126_164ee2be65.jpg

A couple coworkers and I were outside on a smoke break when a dove wandered up toward the smokers' door, which we'd propped open because otherwise we'd have to walk an extra 100' or something to get back inside. (No jokes about lazy Americans, please. It was 100F today and the heat sucks all the energy out of everyone because we're not used to it here.)

We watched the dove, who'd already dropped by a couple of times earlier today. He strolled nonchalantly toward the open door.

"No way he's going in," said Joe.

There was a pause.

"Huh," said Joe. "That bird is going in."

Of course we didn't make an immediate move to stop him, because, hey, FUNNY! By the time we'd finished our cigarettes and walked inside, he was halfway down the stairs to the area where we store a lot of our lights and dressing rooms and pianos and things. As we called the rest of the crew to "come see this sh!t!", I carefully followed him down the stairs. I came face-to-face with him at the second step from the bottom. I took his picture--he sat perfectly still and didn't even blink when I got all up in his face--and then tried to shoo him up and out.

Alas, the dove, whom we have dubbed Spot, simply would not be shooed. After several attempts, I finally had to pick him up and carry him out. It was definitely the highlight of my week.

You do realize it could very well have been a tame/pet dove right?

Doves mate for life, it was a good thing to take it back outside.

The fun one is trying to catch hummingbirds and small sparrows or finches that get themselves caught in skylights or stairwells.

You do realize it could very well have been a tame/pet dove right?

Doves mate for life, it was a good thing to take it back outside.

I'm going to try to address both of these at once.

White doves aren't native to this area. We suspect this bird was released at a wedding or similar event, and never got back to where he belongs. He's completely unflappable; we watched him nearly get squished by a loaded pallet jack, and it didn't worry him a bit. He had no problem wandering within about 2" of my foot, nor entering a building chock full o' human.

In short, we doubt he has the skills necessary for survival here in the wilds of suburbia. Initially we called Animal Control to see if they'd pick him up, but we realized that he'd probably be euthanized. Now the whole crew is keeping an eye out for him. If we see him again, we're popping him into a well-ventilated box, and then he'll be confined to my bathroom (for his own safety; I have a cat who knows birds are prey) until I can arrange for a local bird rescue, of which there are many, to take him.

Moreover, our venue is on a college campus, so we made some calls to see if we could determine whether he might have been let loose at a campus event. If so, we could have contacted the vendor who supplied him and gotten him returned. No one had any records of such an event, though.

Heh--we all sort of fell in love with him this afternoon, and none of us could bear the thought of his being euthanized. He's a mighty charming bird, he is. Everyone who's inclined to do so, please keep your fingers crossed that he'll come back tomorrow and let me catch him again.

Edited to add: it most definitely was good to take him back outside! We have enough problems with birds flying up to our grid and pooping all over our lights as it is. Besides, our stage manager is terrified of all things avian. ;)

Last edited:
shesquint, if he comes back, google and see if there are any bird rescues in your area. You're right that animal control wouldn't be a good spot. Most of them are awful with dogs and cats and even worse with anything that isn't (as in: we dont have any food for it so we just won't feed it). If anyone has a spare cat carrier to leave at work, you could put him in that and post on craigslist to see if one is missing. I can't imagine the chaos of a loose indoor pidgeon! Actually you could check there and petfinder to see if there are any "lost" postings.

It... is done!!! Thanks to a little help from a female friend skilled in the fabric arts; behold the (SFW) horror:
IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0006.jpg

Hm... Hello Kitty Racing, anyone? :D

Next year's FG LeMons theme anyone? Only the secure need apply.

The feminine, It buuuuurns.

*Is wearing the before mentioned FAAAAAAAAAABULOUS pink polo shirt.

1 credit, 1 distrinction, 2 high distinctions for my first semester of uni. :D

Driving a manual: Give it just a little bit of gas, let the clutch out s-l-o-w-l-y so you can feel for the bite point. once you do that, apply more power. all the advice i can give you really.

5000 rpm, remove foot from clutch as quickly as possible, push accelerator hard in unison.

ARGH Its so hot and humid. This is how I know its definitely summer in the great Northwest. When its so hot and sticky that you avoid all the restaurants and cars with vinyl and leather seats - even if they're air conditioned. Its so hot I'm even avoiding my own car because Sunny's air conditioning is broken and I have hand-crank windows.

But dad's Camaro smells like dead animals and the Cadillac has leather seats. URGH. I WANT MY AIR CONDITIONER IN MY ROOM SO I NEVER HAVE TO LEAVE IT UNTIL THE RAIN COMES BACK.

For tomorrow, meatballs in mclarenmps's sauce

It... is done!!! Thanks to a little help from a female friend skilled in the fabric arts; behold the (SFW) horror:
IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0006.jpg

Hm... Hello Kitty Racing, anyone? :D

When will you post pictures of yourself wearing it. :p

It is fucking hot like balls here right now i have no clue how the fuck i am going to fall asleep

[snip!]

Hm... Hello Kitty Racing, anyone? :D[/spoiler]

Aww, it's cute! I hope your mom likes it!

For tomorrow, meatballs in mclarenmps's sauce

Heh. *giggles to herself like the five year old she is*

[edit] Sorry about that.

Last edited: