Random Thoughts....

I am into 2nd round of interviews!

And flight testing this weekend.

*gulp*

I'm happy and scared shitless at the same time. Note to self: Don't screw up.

Congrats. :clap:

I hope you go well in round 2.

Anyway, as for my future, I'm now unsure what to do really in relation to how and where. I know what (Photography) but now it got complicated when I went to the RMIT open day and I found the Photography degree there much more interesting than the Diploma. And I was planning to do just a Diploma/Certificate

Do aerospace engineering at RMIT. Seriously.

Or any engineering. RMIT engineering in general is quiet good.

Last edited:
Going to uni to do photography seems like a colossal waste of money to me. With art you learn by doing and you don't need to go to uni to learn photography. I don't know what they teach you, but it seems like every other wasteful B.A In my opinion.

Do any other Aussies (note w are yet again dominating Random Thoughts pages :lol:) want to punch their TVs after seeing that White Pages song/ad thingy? I am going toscream if it comes on again.

On a related note, my STAT group project involves observation of ads. Due week 6. Same week as my EBUS group work and oral presentation. FUDGE.

Poop. I definitely just fell asleep IN my textbook. I have that whole "awkward page crease across my cheek" thing going on, too. Grrrrrr.

I've done multiple shoots involving moving cars and have never seen such a camera, except on Top Gear. So if you don't get one of them, ask me for instructions on how to mount a regular camera everywhere. Cause that's what grips do.

Heh. This post reminds me of Improvised Camera Mount Bunny (posted in the Failtima's thread). Long story short: Puffalumps ARE useful for something! :lol:

I was referring to those itty bitty cameras folks use for trackdays and such, though. There's some to be had somewhere 'round here, apparently.

I'd still be interested to hear how you mounted a regular camera, though. Might come in handy.

(Noooooo!!! Now I'm curious if one of the TG people has written up a thing on what they use to shoot things. Can't procrastinate...must......study.......arrgh..........)

Last edited:
Do any other Aussies (note w are yet again dominating Random Thoughts pages :lol:) want to punch their TVs after seeing that White Pages song/ad thingy? I am going toscream if it comes on again.
1000 times yes

On a related note, my STAT group project involves observation of ads. Due week 6. Same week as my EBUS group work and oral presentation. FUDGE.
STAT, EBUS??? (probably showing my age)

Oral presentations are easy peasy.

Going to uni to do photography seems like a colossal waste of money to me. With art you learn by doing and you don't need to go to uni to learn photography. I don't know what they teach you, but it seems like every other wasteful B.A In my opinion.

Agreed. Do the diploma.

I was really put off doing a B.A after what my sis went through (4 years of Fine Art and Journalism, not really good) and just wanted to do a Diploma instead. It's just that I want to get the best out of the course and from what I saw at RMIT, the B.A looked more equipped than the TAFE (obviously because it's much more important) and the quality and production was better. But really, they were just trying to sell me their courses. And I got really sucked into the B.A woman that talked about how good it would be for me to do that since it looks good on your resume blah blah blah.

But I'll have to wait once I see the other two Photography places I'm keen on going to.

I was really put off doing a B.A after what my sis went through (4 years of Fine Art and Journalism, not really good) and just wanted to do a Diploma instead. It's just that I want to get the best out of the course and from what I saw at RMIT, the B.A looked more equipped than the TAFE (obviously because it's much more important) and the quality and production was better. But really, they were just trying to sell me their courses. And I got really sucked into the B.A woman that talked about how good it would be for me to do that since it looks good on your resume blah blah blah.

But I'll have to wait once I see the other two Photography places I'm keen on going to.

Without sounding like a dick and not going along with that whole follow your dreams stuff, you really need to assess what your employability will be doing either of those courses. What job will this qualify for you? How much does it pay (eventual), will that be enough for you to live the way you want? etc.

Don't mean to sound like a dick but it's really not worth getting into massive debt unless you're going to be earning enough to pay it back

soo... was awake for 30 hours through Saturday night after working & then going to Canada.... slept a few hours, hung out at a car show then came back home and went straight back to work. I've now been awake another ~23 hours. Ugh..

Without sounding like a dick and not going along with that whole follow your dreams stuff, you really need to assess what your employability will be doing either of those courses. What job will this qualify for you? How much does it pay (eventual), will that be enough for you to live the way you want? etc.

Don't mean to sound like a dick but it's really not worth getting into massive debt unless you're going to be earning enough to pay it back

That, I haven't really thought of. In fact, I really haven't thought about it thoroughly enough to see the other end. All I see is the end of high school.

Reading Chekhov is like some sort of reality check. I hate it. I'm like that Man in a case. Fear of everything and the only thing comfortable is the last case you will see him. Yeah, feeling lousy at the moment. Possibly on the verge of a breakdown of everything and I don't want to sleep, even if I have to.

I have to sound a bit condescending here, but that's the opinion of an 18-year-old with a limited outlook on things.
First of all, i don't know of too may "wasteful B.A."s out there. Most likely you'd count philosophy in with them, won't you?

Second, and that's more important: Photography is quite a large subject that does not only include aesthetics, but also physics and mechanical engineering. On top of that, there are different skill sets needed depending on what kind of photographer one wants to become.

Saying you "don't need to go to uni to learn photography" most of all shows that you don't know too much about the job. If by "photography" you mean "doing boring passports, portraits and wedding jobs" you're most likely right, no need to go to uni for that. You'll need only a total of three lenses, two lightning setups and enough photoshop to stamp the pimples from the bride's face to do just this. Will make you steady money and hate your life.

If you want to do anything else, for example doing press photography (this includes related specialities like sports or war photography), product photography for advertising and the like (this includes fashion photography, an especially preposterous kind of advertising) or even want to become a photo artists, going to uni is almost a necessity, as you'll need every bit of knowledge (theoretical as well as practical) to be able to succeed in this fields, because competition is harsh (which is where hidden_hunters argument comes in, sadly).

On top of that, good fine arts colleges usually have shitloads of equipment for their students to try out - that alone justifies enrolling if one wants to achieve anything more than "mid-sized town general purpose photographer".
Every interesting field of photography requires the use of exotic technology, ranging from weird high-speed cameras with 100000+ dollar brutal zoom lenses for sports coverage to a full-size truck full of high-tech lightning equipment for an indoor advertising shoot. The more you know on how and what for you use all this stuff, the better you can succeed - and there is no easier (and cheaper, even with tuition to pay) to gain that knowledge than to enroll at uni.

Last edited:
I have to sound a bit condescending here, but that's the opinion of an 18-year-old with a limited outlook on things.
First of all, i don't know of too may "wasteful B.A."s out there. Most likely you'd count philosophy in with them, won't you?

Because what does an arts degree qualify you for? You study engineering you are qualified to become an engineer, you study computer science, you can go into any number of computer related fields. What's at the end of a philosophy degree? You could maybe write a book about, or you could sit upon a rocky outcrop in a toga, enlightening the people.

Second, and that's more important: Photography is quite a large subject that does not only include aesthetics, but also physics and mechanical engineering. On top of that, there are different skill sets needed depending on what kind of photographer one wants to become.

Why on earth would a photographer need to understand physics? Maybe a grasp of the basic principals would help understand whats going on but it isn't going to be at all helpful without experience. I'm doing a freaking science degree, and I don't study any physics at all.

Saying you "don't need to go to uni to learn photography" most of all shows that you don't know too much about the job. If by "photography" you mean "doing boring passports, portraits and wedding jobs" you're most likely right, no need to go to uni for that. You'll need only a total of three lenses, two lightning setups and enough photoshop to stamp the pimples from the bride's face to do just this. Will make you steady money and hate your life.

You are saying you do need to go to uni to learn photography? That's just dumb. Photography is just experience, this experience can be had whether one goes to an arts school or not.

If you want to do anything else, for example doing press photography (this includes related specialities like sports or war photography), product photography for advertising and the like (this includes fashion photography, an especially preposterous kind of advertising) or even want to become a photo artists, going to uni is almost a necessity, as you'll need every bit of knowledge (theoretical as well as practical) to be able to succeed in this fields, because competition is harsh (which is where hidden_hunters argument comes in, sadly).

Competition is harsh, and it's a lot harsher now because everyone has reasonable access to high quality equipment. If you can't self promote then you wont make it, and I doubt business is the major focus of the photography course.

On top of that, good fine arts colleges usually have shitloads of equipment for their students to try out - that alone justifies enrolling if one wants to achieve anything more than "mid-sized town general purpose photographer".
Every interesting field of photography requires the use of exotic technology, ranging from weird high-speed cameras with 100000+ dollar brutal zoom lenses for sports coverage to a full-size truck full of high-tech lightning equipment for an indoor advertising shoot. The more you know on how and what for you use all this stuff, the better you can succeed - and there is no easier (and cheaper, even with tuition to pay) to gain that knowledge than to enroll at uni.

This is the only point I agree with.

Get off your high horse, man. There's more to life than that there's a job offer that reads the same as the title on your degree.

Consulting firms like to hire philosophers, for example, who then downsize people with engineering degrees :p

There's more to life (even to employment) than that there's a job offer that reads the same as the title on your degree.

Consulting firms like to hire philosophers, for example, who then downsize people with engineering degrees :p

Get off your high horse, man. There's more to life than that there's a job offer that reads the same as the title on your degree.

What high horse? You're the one preaching a university degree is essential. It's kind of important because when you dump yourself in 50 grand worth of debt, you need a way to repay it. If you're doing a job not related to your degree, then why do the degree in the first place?

Cause just because a job is not directely the same as what your degree says, it does not mean it's not related - if you get a job because of the degree you have and would not get it without, that's enough of a relation for me.
But i'll just give up here. I had my share of discussion with engineers who tell you that everything that's not a business or engineering major is worthless, i won't get into it again.

EDIT: Regarding your question which high horse i mean: The one from which you tell people (for example coco or me) that our degrees are, and i quote, "worthless". I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but i think you really have a limited perspective here and are overly harsh in your judgements.

Last edited: