Random Thoughts....

Moving back to university tomorrow...er, later this morning. Already have an assignment due and classes start Monday. I'm excited to get back, but I can pass on the assignments :p

This isn't so random, but I don't feel like making a thread about it.

I'll spare you guys years of details, but I've decided to move out of Vancouver. This city ticks all the right boxes but sometimes that's not enough. In my case, aside from a parent and a half, I don't and have never had any family here... just some friends who have come and gone.

So I'm moving to Southern California (do locals laugh if you call it SoCal?) where there's lots of traffic and smog but where I happen to have lots of family as well. I'm going to hold on to my place here for now and play things by ear; I might get homesick and come back within days but if I like it and I actually enjoy the whole family thing I might also stay there for good.

Lots of details I have to work out but I'm going to try and get out of here as soon as I can. First step is to find a place to rent since like I said I'm not looking to sell my place up here just yet.

Issue is LA isn't so much a city but an endless sprawl and I'm not sure where I want to rent a place. I don't recall if there's any members here from Los Angeles but if there are maybe you can give me some ideas. Most of my realtives are around South Bay, a few around Santa Monica. I don't really need to be right next to any of them, in fact I'd rather have some space, but obviously I don't want to spend three hours on the 405 when there's some family event either.

Anyway, more of an update on my life but if anyone has insight into neighbourhoods I'd appreciate it. I have lots of issues to work out so expect more. ;)

Issue is LA isn't so much a city but an endless sprawl and I'm not sure where I want to rent a place. I don't recall if there's any members here from Los Angeles but if there are maybe you can give me some ideas.

A friend of mine lives in Pasadena. Both she and her Miata like it there very much.

EDIT: On a totally unrelated subject: Is Tapatalk worth the money (not that it's exactly expensive, but...)?

OK, figured how to save $30k. Get arrested, charged and gaoled for 8 months. Take 8 months leave on full pay from my job (which I have). The gaol provides my food, shelter, clothing and entertainment. I can't go shopping, don't need to drive a car etc etc. all my income goes to my savings.

:thumbsup:

small problem of being fired for having a criminal conviction

A friend of mine lives in Pasadena. Both she and her Miata like it there very much.

Is she a little old lady?

Even with my limited knowledge I know Pasadena is way too far for me.

Is she a little old lady?

Even with my limited knowledge I know Pasadena is way too far for me.

I had this song erased from my mind. Ouch.

She works at USC, so it's a reasonable commute for her.

I had this song erased from my mind. Ouch.

Actually, as did I. I only remembered it when I read your post.

Then I looked it up and listened to it... it's as bad as I remembered it. Like most of the other stuff by them Beach Boys.

Actually, as did I. I only remembered it when I read your post.

Then I looked it up and listened to it... it's as bad as I remembered it. Like most of the other stuff by them Beach Boys.

Then are you sure you want to leave Vancouver, close to Seattle and the home of Hendrix and Nirvana for SoCal where the Beach Boys plied their trade? ;)

Seriously though, good luck with the move and with finding somewhere good to live. Hope it all works out how you want it to. And if not, better to regret things you've done rather than those you haven't eh?

Then are you sure you want to leave Vancouver, close to Seattle and the home of Hendrix and Nirvana for SoCal where the Beach Boys plied their trade? ;)

Mate, I'm from Vancouver, I couldn't do much worse.

Our biggest contributions to the world of music are Nickelback, Michael Buble, Bryan Adams and Sarah McLachlan. The Beach Boys might as well be Hendrix next to these folks. :p

Let's step back for a second here. "The little old Lady (from Pasadena)" was a dreadful song by the even more dreadful plastic-pop surf group Jan & Dean (dreadful eventhough "Dead Man's Curve" is by them). While Brian Wilson, genius behind the Beach Boys, was co-writer and producer of many of their songs and a Beach Boys cover of "The little old Lady" is included on a live record, we should not confuse it with the milestones of pop the Beach Boys created.
"Pet Sounds" still stands as one of the best pop albums in history, let alone Wilson's "Smile" record.

Last edited:
While I was sitting with my mates in the uni cafeteria at lunch some guy at another table was randomly singing the tro-lo-lo song out aloud to bemused looks from the people he was with. That's about as interesting as things get around here, so it made my freaking day! :lol:

Depends on the conviction. It isn't automatic. I have to pick my crime carefully.

A minor detail!

In Victorian government, it is sackable (I suspect that there is some kind of exemption process as there generally is with these things)

There would have to be. Otherwise everyone who was convicted DUI would be fired.

You'll find that, depending on your job and the charges, some areas will preclude certain convictions. ie, no DV convictions when working with vulnerable clients, working with children you would be very carefully screened for a range of things. And any convictions received during your employment have to be declared.

I know a number of state social workers who have had drug convictions or other issues that actually make them more qualified to work with some of their clients. Not to mention idiots who are now confined to desk jobs because they've lost their licence for excessive speeding/DUI.

Yeah, I grew up in Arcadia (right next door to Pasadena), and my parents lived in South Pas for the longest time when my older brother was young. If I ever moved back to LA, I'd definitely settle for Pasadena.

Where are you looking to work perchance?

That's an ugly color for a Ferrari.

Actually, it's an ugly color for any car.

True dat. I think I'd rather see a Ferrari in pink than in beige. (And I don't want to see it in pink.)

Right, so I'm heading up to Dublin next week for a internship interview in Clontarf.

Afterwards I will probably mooch around town, Grafton Street in particular.

One problem with this....Chuggers (charity muggers). Not so much of a problem in Limerick, but I have heard a lot of horror stories about them following you, hassling you, and, in some cases, verbally abusing you when you don't donate.

From my experience of them here, they are immune to headphones. I think I will be having a lot of imaginary phone conversations that day.