Random Thoughts....

Totally sleeping on someone else's couch tonight. While they're at work. Because they're awesome. Hoping to get cuddles when he gets home from work, that is if I hi-jack his bed somehow without him noticing.

Sadly I'm not the only couch crasher tonight, but I am the only one with authentic boobs and ovaries.

[...]Sadly I'm not the only couch crasher tonight, but I am the only one with authentic boobs and ovaries.
Must be hard competing with fake tits ... literally.

:tumbleweed:

good luck anyway. :)

I'm two weeks into my first semester of college. I'm taking 18 credits, of which two are honors classes. I am intimidated by the amount of work I have to do in he next 14 weeks. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I could use some encouragement. :\

Just do your best (Turn up to each and every tutorial {even if a bit Tom Dick} - do all your assignments, preferably on the day they are set) - you will succeed!

Head down and go for it - its not for ever and you can let your hair down in a big way at the end - partiee time - to look forward to of course.

You will soon get in the zone: oh and - avoid bf entanglements, drugs and drink until the end.

Last edited:
I don't know how much work 18 credits is (we have units over here, 10 of which equal a subject. Full-time is 4 subjects a semester), but I have a few friends doing full-time work and part time (3 subjects a semester) uni. Their advice to me (as I will be working with them doing the same thing next yea) is to make ure you don't let anything slip away from you- do anything you can as early s you cnan, as you never know when a killer of an assignment/exam will pop up. If you et behind on your work, it is relly hard to catch up. Both of them utilise their free time (well, a fair chunk of it) to do study/notes as well to provide them with a "buffer" in case they have to go away on work for a week or something.

My advice? Pretty similar to theirs- leaving stuff to the last minute at uni is a pretty bad idea. I have done it, and my mark definitely suffered (to the point where I actually failed an exam last semester, something I have never gone near doing in my life). You also need to have a bit of a "game plan" in your mind after a couple of weeks as to what will get your attention first when you are busy- for example, i have two subjects I'm not as good at, so they get more notes and homework time, even though I don't like them. My other 2 subjects are fairly easy as I get them/have done that before, so that all waits until the other things are done. Do homework too, even if it isn't marked- kinda obvious, but you will be amazed at how much better you get concepts and it will pay of with les study needed for exams in the end.

Also, make use of the support services that are there too- my uni is wonderful in that they have PASS sessions (former students who did well in the course help you study) and duty tutors (a tutor you book a time with- sometimes every week- so they can tutor you on problems one-on-one). It's pretty much so proven that 1 hourof using these things instead of sitting there, scratching your head over something you don't get will be a much more effective use of your time!!! :lol:

Agree with Cobol74 here too- tutorials are much better learning tools than lectures IMO. If you have to ever skip anything to finish an asignment/go to something else, I would say lectures are the things to miss. Tutorials are much more important- you get more personalised learning, and often the concepts re better explained as all the focus is on the important stuff, not rushing through everything you ned to know in only 2 hours. Some subjects will have supplementary workshops/revision tutorials to help you get the finer details, which are good too.

Finally, enjoy it! Uni and college are not ever going to be an easy thing, but they aren't meant to be a nightmare either. Make sure you get to know people (can pay off if you need to do group projects/some help with stuff), have some fun, and enjoy this time! I'm not the biggest fan of uni (except accounting, which is good for me!), but I'm stll loving the whole "experience" of it all and making the most of it. I'm going to miss being able to sit in a bar at 10 am before heading to a clasx when I start going at night next year :(

Thanks, you guys. You've reassured me that I'm already on the right track, at least.

Brydie, our classes don't break down into even numbers of credits; some are 1, some are 4, most are 3, some are 6, and so on. It's an irritating system. Full-time students usually take 12-15 credits in a semester. My 18 are split up over 6 classes. I loaded up for two reasons: I'm behind in math, requiring me to take two semesters' worth of catch-up stuff (yech), and I don't know when I'll be able to be a full-time student again. Might as well make the most of this chance while I have it.

You will soon get in the zone: oh and - avoid bf entanglements, drugs and drink until the end.

LOL No need to worry about that! I'm a married woman whose drinking and drugs days are long, long behind her. :)

Married?

That is all bf entanglements done away with then?????????

If you do happen across one - things happen when you least expect them - watch out! Not saying it will of course.

It's a flying :banana:

I was put off with the idea of going to Uni because of the workload, but ever since I visited the Open Days, I found out there was no easier way to have an education outside of school.

I'm trying to get in a TAFE course first, then if I liked the first 12 months, then either I can go and try and get into the Uni equivalent, or just stick to TAFE and get a Diploma. I was hoping to get an advance diploma from a private TAFE, but it's $15k a year. :(

Thats what all the train spotters call it.

Well d'uh! How the fuck did you think I know what a Deltic is, or thrashing for that matter??? And a mate at school could do an awesome impression of a pair of Choppers! I was always a class 40 freak myself.

:p

Oh my god. My art history class somehow manages to be worse than expected. The entire hour my teacher rambled in a thick accent about history and philosophy and managed to prove they know LESS about early world history than me, who got a D in that class. rkjfdjghsf
She thinks atlantis is TOTALLY 100% REAL guys. I am going to shoot myself.

Oh my god. My art history class somehow manages to be worse than expected. The entire hour my teacher rambled in a thick accent about history and philosophy and managed to prove they know LESS about early world history than me, who got a D in that class. rkjfdjghsf
She thinks atlantis is TOTALLY 100% REAL guys. I am going to shoot myself.

My sources are sketchy on this, but I'm pretty sure Atlantis was a thought experiment by Socrates (er.... or one of those Greek philosopher guys) and he made that clear in his writings :lol:

Well 14 months after breaking my humerus and injuring my shoulder I am finally free of pain. \o/

Also new avatar for college football season.

Last edited:
I'm two weeks into my first semester of college. I'm taking 18 credits, of which two are honors classes. I am intimidated by the amount of work I have to do in he next 14 weeks. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I could use some encouragement. :\

I'm taking 19 now in order to try graduating this December. It is HELL.

Do what you have to do, but remember to take some time off when you can for some fun stuff to keep from going nuts. I had 16 hours my first semester of college, but it just wasn't enjoyable because I was in a constant state of panic.

GO TO CLASS! This is the biggest thing I have trouble with, but it's surprising how much I can pick up just by being in the room and listening to it all. Even if you didn't get the homework done, are behind on readings, or just plain would rather be somewhere else, it's always helpful just to be there. Don't be too self-conscious to ask questions, either. Even if it's something covered in the reading and half the class groans a bit, someone in the non-groaning half probably appreciates the clarification. (Do know the difference between a quick question and "I really don't get this at all and need to track down the prof for a lengthy explanation outside of class," though.)

It's not going to be a fun semester for either of us, but it's doable. I think sticking to a schedule's helped me the most, or leaving my car parked somewhere and then walking around all day. It's hot and nasty here, so I'll usually stop off at a study lounge to wait out the afternoon sun instead of just going home to take a nap and goof off. I get work done then, and then more of my evenings (and weekends, if I'm really ambitious) are open for more enjoyable stuff than homework (...or working ahead, if I've got a nasty week ahead of me).

I think you just reminded me how much I'm gonna hate this semester. Ugh.

Last edited: