Random Thoughts....

It was lovely here today until about 5pm when there was a massive downpour that lasted all of a minute then stopped just as fast as it started...while the sun was still out. WAT. Stupid September.

Reminds me of the other week. Just arrived at a restaurant in downtown Houston and sitting undercover at the outside bar when the heavens opened, rain bouncing knee high of the pavement and the most epic thunderstorm I've ever experienced passed right overhead. And I mean right overhead. One bolt of lightning hit the car park and set off several car alarms. Good times.

It was lovely here today until about 5pm when there was a massive downpour that lasted all of a minute then stopped just as fast as it started...while the sun was still out. WAT. Stupid September.

@Shawn. Spicy? Even better! I almost killed my friends once when I made Thai curry for them 'to my taste'. I'm no longer allowed to make curry when I visit them at the university flats. :lmao:

It was beautiful up here in Newwy today, albeit quite windy. Went to the beach with a heap of my buds and played volleyball and that. Such an awesome day (for so many reasons!!!!! :thumbsup:)

EDIT: oh yeah, and GO THE TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

(sorry stiggie!!!! :()

Last edited:
No need to be sorry, you don't have to apologise for your mistakes :p

St George should have been penalised in the last 20 seconds for delaying play- why should they be allowed to bugger off 20 seconds before the horn gets blown????

So unfair. Then again, I am a Knights supporter first and foremost so I've already lost out here. :(

EDIT- oh, the joys of family....

My sister just came nto my room, complaining that her phone was playing up- screen was lit, but showed nothing, kept rebooting, making funny sounds, etc
Me- "How'd you break it???"
Sister- "Oh, I dropped it again"
Me- "... what about your other phone?" (the one she got with her plan)
Sister- "That one's playing up too (lists symptoms), I think I stood on it a few times or something"

This (the first broken phone) is a 4 year old hand me down phone that she is using because she didn't like the phone that she got with her plan (admittedly, I got the same phone and hated it- as did 2 other family members, but she was warned!) and wants an iPhone. However, she plans to get it by getting my mum to get one when her contract runs out so that she (my mum) will give it to my sister.

a) My mum desperately needs a phone, much moreso then my sister (who has a plethora of old, spare phones she can use, but she doesn't want to of course)
b) I had to get a bloody iPhone for my 18th birthday- why can't she wait an extra 2 months for that??? (Oh yeah, because she wants an MacBook for her 18th as well as an iPhone. Greedy brat- I didn't get both, it took me forever to save up for my laptop!)
c) Why would you give an iPhone to somebody who has managed to destroy so many phones??? (her count now stands on 3, just through neglect)

GAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!

(but, apart from a bratty sister and early morning runners, good day! :D)

Last edited:
^ Similar to my sister. Only shes fortunately not a greedy brat (all the time) - she has broken plenty of stuff. She took her old laptop (now my parents') away to her job at a summer camp in the alps, and it came back needing a full windows reboot and it has a vertical line of dead pixels. Everytime she borrows the laptop it tends to need a full windows reboot. Her old phones are horrifically bad, but they do still work (ish), and she managed to drop my old camera into a pint when she stole it away to uni. I also think that she managed to put a tiny scratch (you can feel with your nail type) on my iPhone screen when she used it in the car (while I was driving she was simply playing games and Facebooking). Hence she never is allowed to use any of my stuff, because she just breaks tech.

you people al need to get decent phones.........phones as in : a device for having phoneconversations, not as in : portable minicomputers (preferrably made by cultists) who disintegrate after you look at them angry, your life will be much simpler.

I got a nokia somethingorother classic , it costs 59 euro's, and you can pretty much hammer nails into the wall with it, had it for 1.5 years, looks like its been in several wars, still works perfectly , and if it eventualy does finally break I will just get another one for pocket change whithout having to worry about anything happening to it.

you people al need to get decent phones.........phones as in : a device for having phoneconversations, not as in : portable minicomputers (preferrably made by cultists) who disintegrate after you look at them angry, your life will be much simpler.

Amen!

I third that. I think I paid 30$ for my phone? Though that was a few years ago now so it is now a 15$ phone, it doesn't even have a camera. It has lasted at least 4x as long as any of my fancy phones even with me constantly dropping/smashing it.

I can't even understand the point of those fancy computer phones. The screen is way too damn tiny so it takes like 4 tries to for example click "off topic" on the final gear forum because the text is half the size of your fingertip and zooming doesn't help all that much because then you have to try like 3x to get the text to a readable size after clicking the link.

I don't know, i just tend to abuse all my mobile tech equipment into destruction within a year or two: My laptops suffer from being carried around to everywhere i go and me being too stubborn to get one of this moronic neoprene covers, my cellphones from me treating any tool i can carry around with me like they can withstand the same amount of abuse as a zippo (if it fits in your pocket and can't handle this, it's not rugged enough). I broke two Nokia "outdoor" cellphones within less than a year (one of them i accidently dropped into a full glass of beer i had in the leg pocket of my cargo pants), had my first iPhone pickpocketed withing three months, the keypad of the Motorola Razr i got as a replacement from a friend did not withstand my treatment for more than two months and to my big surprise the stupid Samsung slidephone i got solely cause it was the cheapest phone available that's listed as iSync compatible (it wasn't, in the end...) was the first phone since the early naughties that actually served me well for one and a half year until my boss got an iPhone 4 last week and handed her iPhone 3G down to me. We'll see how that goes...

The 3G is not exactly well built, so breaking that is rather easy. I really don't get people who put their phones into cases, unless it's an iPhone 4 but that loses reception otherwise. :p

OOOOOOH MYYYY GOOOOOD!!

I was playing the Never Ending Level game. Got to level 80 something.

I managed to click out of the link by mistake.

Then I went back later on and tried again, and did the same fucking thing at level 76!

The most vulnerable part of most smartphones these days is the glass screen.

Other than that you can find smartphones that are built nicely. I have an HTC HD2 (the screen is almost 4.5 inches Kat) which I dropped once and sure the screen cracked, but then for fun I went about destroying the rest of it and I simply couldn't. I went at it with knives and screwdrivers and I couldn't make a scratch or dent on the body.

So they aren't all poorly built, the quality varies like it does among any other product. Any electronic will get damaged if you drop it on a hard surface, but it doesn't mean they disintegrate when you look at them.

i was stupid enough to leave my first mobile phone on top of a pay phone. For some reason after i had finished my call. i had put the phone down and left it there. completely by mistake. realised my mistake about 5 mins later, went back and sure enough it was gone. Thankfully this was back in the very late 90's and it wasn't a phone like they are now (texting had only just taken off). thankfully i learned from my mistake, gibbs slapped myself several times and didn't lose another one...

...well except for that one time when i was at Glastonbury festival. but that wasn't my fault completely, that was beer's fault.

I got a nokia somethingorother classic , it costs 59 euro's, and you can pretty much hammer nails into the wall with it, had it for 1.5 years, looks like its been in several wars, still works perfectly , and if it eventualy does finally break I will just get another one for pocket change whithout having to worry about anything happening to it.

I'll hazard a guess and say your phone is a 3210 classic. I love mine, mostly because i use my phone to make goddamn phone calls and it does it better than most phoned I've had, the RIZR Z9 i had before this comes to mind.

However I've been tempted by he Nokia E72.

The most vulnerable part of most smartphones these days is the glass screen.

Other than that you can find smartphones that are built nicely. I have an HTC HD2 (the screen is almost 4.5 inches Kat) which I dropped once and sure the screen cracked, but then for fun I went about destroying the rest of it and I simply couldn't. I went at it with knives and screwdrivers and I couldn't make a scratch or dent on the body.

So they aren't all poorly built, the quality varies like it does among any other product. Any electronic will get damaged if you drop it on a hard surface, but it doesn't mean they disintegrate when you look at them.

I was using my ipod touch for comparison, which is not exactly a tiny screen especially since if I am reading something on it I flip it sideways. But yeah, anything that fits in your pocket is going to be annoying to navigate the internet with.

To it's credit, my ipod touch is the first gen one and it still works despite a decent amount of abuse, but what really goes wrong 90% with phones for me is not the abuse, they take that fine, the actual software goes. Ex: I have had at least 3 phones that randomly would decide they would not ring, this is across many brand names and providers. I had one nokia not too fancy flip camera phone that was broken out of the box, then I sent it in for a new one and that was broken too, then the next one was broken too. I never got a properly working one and had to settle for one that could not access the internet but could at least make calls.

Maybe the fingers you are using to browse are too fat? :p

I agree that browsing the web on a mobile screen just isn't the same, I thought you had a problem with touchscreen interfaces in general. Touchscreens aren't the best in-car solutions but otherwise I see a lot of smartphone hate which seems unwarranted to me.

After swek started posting his living room, I feel inferior now :D

Anyways, did some rearranging to fit my new used orsum 40? TV in :D

https://pic.armedcats.net/d/d-/d-fence/2010/09/25/P1010620__1600x1200_.JPG

And I still need something non-tacky for the wall above the TV/PC......

Eh, I prefer buttons. Touch screens are too finicky and can't be used without looking,which I personally find annoying in most instances. It's Ok on like, my game boy, but I like to be able to hide an MP3 player in my pocket and use it there, which I can on most of them but not on a touch screen. Touchscreen anything in a car frightens me. Thanks, give people another reason not to watch the road.
I doubt my fingers are too fat as I have had many people say to me "HOLY SHIT YOUR HANDS ARE TINY" :blink: For comparison my fingers are about half as wide as a standard computer key.
Mostly I just don't like instead of being good at being a phone, they are instead do all different things and do most of them badly. My last fancy phone (LG chocolate) was a bad phone, a bad camera, a bad mp3 player, had bad navigation and was only good at looking shiny and being a pretty color.