Random Thoughts....

According to the guy on the 6PM news, this part of the state will supposedly be buried under eleventy bilion inches of snow tomorrow. If that's true, it's a good thing I bought more cough drops today; my voice sounds like a colony of frogs have taken up residence in my throat.

1 week and two days till I fly to the states D:

Put it down and run away, run far away from it as fast as you can before it drags you in and contaminates you.

That's just the dealer, trying to get you hooked. I have seen it too many times. One little taste and it consumes your life. You lose all ability to carry on normal relationships, talk to people in person, make a phone call, feed and clothe yourself, let alone be able to spend more than five minutes away from an internet connection.

You lose all ability to carry on normal relationships, talk to people in person, make a phone call, feed and clothe yourself, let alone be able to spend more than five minutes away from an internet connection.

So you're saying I have almost nothing to lose?

I'm beginning to think that going out drinking last night when I was already coming down with a head cold wasn't such a great idea. I think it's exacerbated my symptoms, I've felt shit all day with a woozy head, mucked-up balance etc. :-(

At least I don't have to worry about doing any uni work over the weekends anymore. Phew!

That's just the dealer, trying to get you hooked. I have seen it too many times. One little taste and it consumes your life. You lose all ability to carry on normal relationships, talk to people in person, make a phone call, feed and clothe yourself, let alone be able to spend more than five minutes away from an internet connection.

Surely there must be some sort of protection I can wear.

I've found, in carefully maintained doses, it doesn't have any negative effects on your life. :p

Fuck I feel like shit. I've basically been asleep since 0030 until 1800 now with a couple of hours at around lunch time for something to eat. It's not as if I've worked particularly hard all week, on the contrary, I've done very little (a ludicrously small amount of work for the amount we get paid) but the hours have been long with little sleep in between. Guess it's all catching up with me.

What about your racing helmet?

...and an axe, go find an axe, just in case.

http://img192.imageshack.**/img192/8136/mehelmet01smalledited.jpg

Done.

And I have a sword behind my door and another over the mantle.

The 30s were soooooooooooooo much better than the 20s. I started them out with a clue, some $, a job and some actual goals, as opposed to being only recently have been spewed upon the world from finishing Yr 12, bumbling around in the second year of a degree, being desperately broke and sorta living with the most useless fuckwit on the face of the earth.

Reading this post made me wonder, what age were you guys when you decided to stop being a kid and make something of your life?

I beat myself up a lot that it wasn't until my 25th birthday that I actually started caring where my life was going. I know, better late than never, and that is certainly true but I still blame myself for the six or seven years I basically withered away. I spent 4.5 years on a totally bullshit degree and then followed that up by almost 3 years of doing nothing, even a bigger waste than my degree.

So just curious, at what age did you decide to stop being an ass and grow up, as it were?

Last edited:
Reading this post made me wonder, what age were you guys when you decided to stop being a kid and make something of your life?

I beat myself up a lot that it wasn't until my 25th birthday that I actually started caring where my life was going. I know, better late than never, and that is certainly true but I still blame myself for the six or seven years I basically withered away. I spent 4.5 years on a totally bullshit degree and then followed that up by almost 3 years of doing nothing, even a bigger waste than my degree.

So just curious, at what age did you decide to stop being an ass and grow up, as it were?

I finished school in 2004, did nothing in 2005, then went to uni and finished a four year course in 2009. By 2008 I was beginning to wonder whether I'd made the right choice, by 2009 I knew I'd definitely made the wrong choice and only now have I decided to change lanes. I was always pressured by the school and had some idea that going to uni was the be all and end all of life. My parents supported that notion to some degree as well. I got to watch my mates complete apprenticeships and start earning money and setting themselves up for life while I was fiddling around with dead end part time work and a uni degree I wasnt sure about any longer. In the end I had to stick it out and finish it and now I've moved on. I'm in a job I enjoy and that has near limitless earning and/or development potential. Most of the people in management started at the bottom where I am and certainly the company I work for and others in the industry have very flat management structures (ie my father started as a diesel mechanic and now basically runs the Intermodal division of the company). The job has nothing to do with what I studied so I kinda wish I'd got on it sooner but glad I'm doing something positive with my life now.

I haven't worked that out yet. Left school at 18, after having dicked around for the final two years. Fell into uni. Five years of full/part time and working crap jobs. Was deemed by Centrelink as unemployable, and sent on a course. Did some work experience in a Government department as part of that, and haven't looked back. So I was about 28 when I decided I could do something I liked and get paid for it, and applied for and won a training job. And I rocked that job. Things moved on, changed etc etc. I've fallen into other jobs, been good at them, climbed the ladder. But nothing planned.

In my head, I still feel 21, have lots of the same thoughts, pull the same faces. But sometimes I catch myself talking at work and listen to what I say and it freaks me out a little about where the words are coming from. I don't remember learning all that stuff, analysing those concepts and building a strategy, but fuck it, it happens somehow. In fact, went to my first senior manager's planning day last week. After trying, and failing, to keep my mouth shut, I figured that it would be the last time I would ever be allowed into the inner sanctum. And I'd probably get demoted in the process. But apparently I did OK.

But there are radio controlled cars in the drawer, nerf guns set up on the battlements, and car posters on the walls at work, so the bit about not being a kid anymore? I fail.

Last edited: