Random Thoughts....

I don't own any, but I am frequently required to use them. I understand some people genuinely like Apple products, and arguing is useless, as we both have perfectly valid opinions. What I don't understand is people who buy everything with an "i", just because it has an "i", and a small sticker of an Apple.

I could argue Mac vs. PC for months on end, but as you said, there's no point. But I wish people had reasoning behind their choices. (This applies to basically anything, but Apple is the best example)

So, time to take a good hard look at yourself and finding some strategies to become that person. It is doable.

What, being good at sports? That's not doable.
Don't mind me, I just woke up this morning feeling like shit for some reason. Sometimes I feel like there is no such thing as sustained happiness. Happiness comes from momentary gain or loss.

Last edited:
But I wish people had reasoning behind their choices.
It's funny that you with your "rabid hatred" should be saying this.

Sometimes I feel like there is no such thing as sustained happiness. Happiness comes from momentary gain or loss.
I agree. You can't be truly happy unless you know what sorrow is.

It's funny that you with your "rabid hatred" should be saying this.

Firstly, I never said I'm not a hypocrite, but I do have reasoning, namely the lack of any reasoning on the part of the aforementioned seemingly mindless "sheeple". As I said, I haven't had sleep in a long time, and I'm probably not very clear at the moment. PM me on Boxing Day or something, and I'll try to explain it coherently.

The best summary I can think of at the moment is that my first reaction to almost anything is "[Citation needed]"

I HATE MY LIFE.

I wish I was someone cool and awesome with confidence and a snazzy sense of humour and who is good at sports and makes school look like a breeze and is good looking and popular with the ladies and has nothing to worry about and has a social life and does amazing stuff all the time and yet somehow has a quality about him that doesn't make people hate him.

Most of the "qualities" you refer to don't matter in the same way to anyone over 21. Of course, a sense of humour and basic self confidence will always be qualities, as are looks, but even a mediocre-looking guy like me who is useless at sports and a complete nerd (i mean, i'm both a petrolhead and into computers, how can one be more of a dork by teen standards) can find a good job, a brilliant circle of friends and a wonderful girlfriend. There are many kinds of "amazing stuff" one can achieve and most of these, even if you do them just because you care about the task at hand and/or think it's good for you, will get recognition and positive reactions from people with similar interests. The focus on looks and sports will be gone soon as your surroundings change from the "geographically close people" of school to the "similar interests/backgrounds" structure of college or a job.

Since when did we get BBC programs shown even before the UK does? :|
It happens from time to time. Bones, for some reason, was broadcasted in Canada a day before the US last season.

I'm not saying downloading music is a special skill. That's the point. Anyone can do it.[...] I'm sure as hell not downloading it to buy stuff that's free.
[...]
And I use a morality system with torrents. If I like what I got, I send what I believe it was worth to the creator. They almost always get more than normal through that system anyway. (And a lot of torrents I get is stuff I already have).

See, there's a contradiction in your post. You think pirating stuff is better than buying because then it's free. Which means you do not pay for it.

At the same time, you say send "what you believe it's worth" to the creator if you like something. That not only contradicts the "free" thing, but is also an obvious lie. Even it you'd be willing to really do pay for what you like (i'll give you the benefit of doubt here) i'd like to see how you'll get the money to the Estate of Elvis Presley, or, even more complicated, to Scotty and Bill (assuming you even knew about Scotty and Bill before reading this post). There are so many people more than just the Artist involved in the creation of a record, do you really think you have the wisdom to think of them all with your generous donations, even if by some miracle you could track all of them down?
Sending "i downloaded your works and i really liked it, Sir" money to anti-piracy activist musicials surely will work well, too.

Here, have some -rep for bringing a bad name even to pirates.

EDIT: How many people here can name the original "Tennessee Two" without using google or wiki?

Last edited:
Okay, you do have me with your two examples there, but as I have yet to encounter such a problem, it's really a non-issue (at the moment). Most of my torrent's are software, not music (I inherited a large music collection I've never really finished from my parents) so it's a lot simply to donate to a company, as opposed to a single artist. And it's called anonymous donation.

In recent times I've been downloading free (by both definitions) things in any case, from sourceforge and the likes. Which brings me to another point I'm not sure how is quite related, but TV shows and songs from the radio. What's the difference between listening/watching to them and downloading them? Hell, if you use internet TV like many people, it's exactly the same thing. As I said, not sure how that's related, but for some reason I felt the need to put it forwards.

I fail to see how I've brought a bad name to piracy, but eh. I'm presuming something to do with me actually saying I download stuff, which I find is a much better alternative to pretending I don't.

Okay, I was being a tool in my first post. I was kind of irritated, but that's no excuse. I'd rather someone be blunt and say "Don't be a tool, mkay" than... Well... I don't really know. There's a word I'm looking for, but I can't remember.

Just re-read through my posts and think of it as a human, not just text. I'm no-

You know what? Screw it. I'm probably digging myself in to a hole here. Can we put this on hiatus for 30 or so hours? Feel free to reply to this post, but I'm almost certainly not going to answer until I get some sleep.

----

On another note, it's Christmas where I live :D

I HATE MY LIFE.

I wish I was someone cool and awesome with confidence and a snazzy sense of humour and who is good at sports and makes school look like a breeze and is good looking and popular with the ladies and has nothing to worry about and has a social life and does amazing stuff all the time and yet somehow has a quality about him that doesn't make people hate him.

If you wanted to be all those things, then it would not be you, but someone else. Be who you are, the people who eventually matter in your life after high school will appreciate it. In ten years, you will look back and and admit that high school made no impact on your future life.

In high school, I was popular with every group, the funny guy, the one who always has a girlfriend. Now I am happily married and loyal to one woman, a social recluse and I enjoy taking pictures of pretty flowers, listen to classical music, deeply religious and like to watch birds. I am comfortable with who I am.

Last edited:
Decorating a Christmas Tree with AC/DC playing in the background is nice. That's how it should be done. :lol:

Incorrect. You should be decorating it while Twisted Sister's Twisted Christmas album is playing in the background.

Oh man, Christmas shopping was too easy this year.

The wife wanted, more than anything, a new garbage can. That is all she wanted. This month, I am a bit short on money because my glasses broke, costing me $240, so there goes some of my Christmas budget. Then a late bill from Comcast from who knows when finally caught up to us, and I had to drop another $130. By this time I am getting a bit panicky, because I am not going to buy her just a garbage can, you know? Yesterday, when I left work, my boss hands me a card with a $200 gift card in it! :dance:
So, I go to Target today, bu her the garbage can, plus Bones Season Five, and other assorted things. Then I go to Kohls, get her a sleepwear set, house slippers and other assorted things. I am going to place all the other gifts in the garbage can, and tell her "well, there is what you wanted...oh, by the way, you need to empty it first." I am terrible at wrapping gifts, so this will be a unique way of presenting gifts, if I do so say myself!

You must spread more reputation around before telling Jay that he is awesome and treats his family the way they should be treated.

Just found out that I share a birthday with Lemmy from Motorhead. My life is now awesome.

self-esteem-is-awesome.jpg

I AM SO SICK OF HEARING THAT SMELLY MUTT BARKING IN THE OTHER ROOM.

Bah humbug. I want out of here. Is Christmas over yet? I think I'm going to punch the next person who wishes me a merry Christmas. AUGHHHH.

Dear Mr. May,
i write in in response to your "Merry Christmas" PSA on Topgear.com. Actually, i am not writing in as i know that these forums are read by you and/or your assistants or interns.
Being on the internet is the only thing that keeps some blokes sane through Christmas.

All the best and a less dysfunctional Christmas,
Dr_Grip

Lulz! So, in "watching crappy television because there's nothing else on right now" news, the guy currently on "Millionaire Matchmaker" is me...with a penis...and more money. HOLY ADD, BATMAN! Hahahahahaha. It's nothing personal--I just saw something shiny. And something else that was shiny. And more shiny things! OOOOH!

{ punches narf }

{ flies to the UK }

{ punches James May, too }

I love you, man, but you're infinitely more punchable with short hair. GROW IT BACK!

Last edited: