Random Thoughts....

Note to self, falling asleep on a very uncomfortable 20 year old couch is not a good thing. I think I need traction and a physio. Coupled with missing the start time of afternoon chores means that I didn't finish until after dark. And there is one mare (horse) that thinks I am the boogy-man and I am going to do her great damage, so is hard enough to catch as it is. This effect is only exacerbated when I am holding a torch.

Note to self, falling asleep on a very uncomfortable 20 year old couch is not a good thing. I think I need traction and a physio. Coupled with missing the start time of afternoon chores means that I didn't finish until after dark. And there is one mare (horse) that thinks I am the boogy-man and I am going to do her great damage, so is hard enough to catch as it is. This effect is only exacerbated when I am holding a torch.

when you said holding a torch my first thought was of the burning torches that you always see in movies where a team go into some cave or something.
normal_DW_5x12_The_Pandorica_Opens_116.jpg

Flippin heck, judging by the uproar on my Facebook feed it was a pretty average finish. What was it? :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFTvbcNhEgc[/youtube]

But there was trolling on every song they had on anyway. There was love and there was hate and a lot of it.

when you said holding a torch my first thought was of the burning torches that you always see in movies where a team go into some cave or something.

Heh. I wouldn't want to start a fire. Just the boring old standard battery powered type.

I was sick for the first time in about a decade yesterday. To any bulemics out there, why on God's green Earth would you want to do that on purpose? And more than once!

Sometimes, nay pretty much always, management are clueless.

Schedule a one hour meeting/presentation/tour of facility for an area in which I am totally competent at 10am, 170 miles from where I live incurring a cost to them in mileage of about ?140 ($200 US) and me getting up at 5am because the road network is at breaking point and there are long term roadworks on half the route. :mad:

Needless to say I will be doing everything I can to get out of this one.

Contemplating the renting of a car while I`m in the UK this summer....Looks like I can rent a Scirocco for a reasonable price. Basically I`ll just use it to drive from Hammersmith to Bath/Oxford then use it again to drive from Hammersmith to Cosford. Will I die trying?

Contemplating the renting of a car while I`m in the UK this summer....Looks like I can rent a Scirocco for a reasonable price. Basically I`ll just use it to drive from Hammersmith to Bath/Oxford then use it again to drive from Hammersmith to Cosford. Will I die trying?

No, sounds like a plan.
Hammersmith is pretty much the start of the M4 motorway going westbound to Bristol & Bath. The drive to Cosford is pretty straightforward too, along the M40, then along a bit. (Google theAA.com ? ?Route Finder?)

If you have somewhere to PARK the thing in Hammersmith, you are good to go.
Parking is in short supply and expensive in Hammersmith (and all of London really), find and book somewhere in advance if you can on the Interwebs.

:cool:

You want a motorway cruiser really - something with a small powerful diesel I'd say - Focus or may be a Pug 308?

And in other news. ... ISPs Are the New Secret Police, Says Report

http://www.pcworld.com/article/217747/isps_are_the_new_secret_police_says_report.html?tk=hp_new

Last edited:
One of the :canadian: members came here last year and did quite a road trip including a Top Gear filming. He rented an Abarth SS and had a blast.

I`m definitely renting something I can`t get in the States, if I could find a place that rents out a Focus RS I`d be in Heaven... My biggest worry is dying in a giant fireball at the first roundabout :lol:. I`m just unsure how much driving on the opposite side will mess with my brain. I wish I could start my journey in a small country town where the learning curve wouldn`t be quite as steep a curve as driving in London.

I just noticed the assignment on the syllabus for my "Sociology of Gender" class (it was the only thing that fit in my schedule that met any requirements :|)

Apparently it is middle school again. I have NO IDEA what the hell I am supposed to pick that won't involve over analyzing. <_<
90% of my most listened to songs are most listened to because my ipod is practically a permanent attachment to my center console. Songs are rated by how fun to drive like an idiot to they are.

As spectre said, J-pop, or Space age love song, Heck the Inspector Gadget theme, Tsiolkovsky's 4th-4th movement, the possibilities are endless. :p

I was sick for the first time in about a decade yesterday. To any bulemics out there, why on God's green Earth would you want to do that on purpose? And more than once!

They feel fat. What I don't get is people getting absolutely totally fucking smashed. I understand you can party, even drink a little more than what's deemed a sensible amount, but when you start to be unable to stand up and keep drinking it seems really rather ridiculous. Yes i know i have no voice or vote in this.

Conversation with dad yesterday:

Me: Can you get me a Laptop?
Dad: I'll think of it.
De: I want this one-Points to Alienware-it's the Lexus LFA of Laptops
Dad: And I want a Lexus LFA-it's the Lexus LFA of cars.

Lessons learned.

-Alienware's are bloody expensive
-I'm not getting one anytime soon.

Last edited:
Does it say on the 86X site that it should work well?
Install should work fine - the problem looks more like "fried mainboard".

I just noticed the assignment on the syllabus for my "Sociology of Gender" class (it was the only thing that fit in my schedule that met any requirements :|)

Apparently it is middle school again. I have NO IDEA what the hell I am supposed to pick that won't involve over analyzing. <_<
90% of my most listened to songs are most listened to because my ipod is practically a permanent attachment to my center console. Songs are rated by how fun to drive like an idiot to they are.

Best thing to do - select a Jpop song. Turn in the lyrics in Japanese. Watch the fun.

As spectre said, J-pop, or Space age love song, Heck the Inspector Gadget theme, Tsiolkovsky's 4th-4th movement, the possibilities are endless.

One could also understand that college is not junior high. You are not there because you have to go, but because you want to be there. No matter for what reasons, even just for scheduling, when you choose a class, you do it out of your free will. Which also means you are responsible for how much you'll learn.
It's not about "teacher so stupid" or "let's see how we can fool the teacher" any more. It's not about "OMG the assignment is stupid", either.

Grow up. Give the lecturer the benefit of doubt and play along. If whatever happens in class really is stupid, you can complain afterwards. But going into a class with the attitude displayed here will not do any good, neither for the prospect of liking the class nor for the grades one can reasonably expect to get.

Last edited:
:p smiley added to my post to represent that I was, in fact, joking....

Last edited:
:p smiley added to my post to represent that I was, in fact, joking....
It's neither you nor Spectre i was mainly aiming at. None of you out of your free will chose to take the class.

I`m definitely renting something I can`t get in the States, if I could find a place that rents out a Focus RS I`d be in Heaven... My biggest worry is dying in a giant fireball at the first roundabout :lol:. I`m just unsure how much driving on the opposite side will mess with my brain. I wish I could start my journey in a small country town where the learning curve wouldn`t be quite as steep a curve as driving in London.

You will be fine, driving on the opposite sides takes minutes, even just moments to get used to, especialy in a car with the wheel on the right side, just do what everybody else does (unless they are bloody tourists aswell :p) and take it easy when approaching the first intersections.
Biggest mistakes people make is not remembering to look RIGHT first at an intersection and forgetting to aim for the left when coming onto a road, especialy if there is no car infront of them.
It realy isent that hard , I keep telling that to people nervous about driving in the UK for the first time , and they all agree with me afterwards.

(well exept for the ones who died in a giant fireball at the first roundabout....... obviously )

Last edited:
Give way on to the Roundabout not whilst on it, different from most of the rest of Europe I think. On the Motorway keep over as far as you can to the left lane (not the hard shoulder). Motorways have blue signs and road numbers beginning M - eg M25 (goes around London and is very, very, busy; bit like LA roads), some A roads are of a motorway standard but their junctions are less organised and they begin A as in A338 (nb goes to Poole, Dorset).

Beware of foreign (to Ukania) lorry drivers - especially Eastern European, they appear not to have ever passed any form of driving test what so ever, add that to driving on the left = bloody lethal.

Give way on to the Roundabout not whilst on it, different from most of the rest of Europe I think.

From what I gather I should be just fine by remembering that simple rule. Plus I`ve already started learning all the different road signs.

One thing I am excited to find out is how a slight southern American accent will play in the bar scene...

* snip *
I wish I could start my journey in a small country town where the learning curve wouldn`t be quite as steep a curve as driving in London.

OK, don't pick it up as soon as you arrive at Heathrow like many tourists do. Go to Hammersmith by Tube or Cab and have a night's sleep, then pick up the rental and head west out of London on the non-motorway roads and have a few hours practice.

:)

From what I gather I should be just fine by remembering that simple rule. Plus I`ve already started learning all the different road signs.

<---- Airport nearby. (Norway) :p
Actually, the UK one is almost the same.

One thing I am excited to find out is how a slight southern American accent will play in the bar scene...

Lots of "Gone with the Wind" jokes? :lol: