Random Thoughts....

but there's salt water taffy to buy, and campfires can be built almost anywhere.
So, it's not all bad.

The wind and ocean is so loud, you can't really hear the screaming children, if that bothers you. ;D

I must say though, some tropical beaches are absolutely gorgeous. When we went to Hawaii last summer, we went to this one beach that wasn't good for swimming because there was too much sharp igneous rock on the beach/in the water, but it was fantastically beautiful:

35065_1511389070191_1398304463_31372438_717498_n.jpg

People like beaches because it's fun to play in the water, easy to get a nice tan, full of good looking people if you are at the right beach, possibly has surfing/snorkeling/scuba, and maybe a game of beach volleyball or sandcastles if you are a kid.

:rolleyes: Yup sounds like the beach really sucks. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean there is no appeal to it.

I must say though, some tropical beaches are absolutely gorgeous. When we went to Hawaii last summer, we went to this one beach that wasn't good for swimming because there was too much sharp igneous rock on the beach/in the water, but it was fantastically beautiful:

Brazil, Hawai'i, and Honduras (Roatan) <3

And you get sand in your bathing suit. That's just not fun.

Yeah I hate the car ride home of wearing clothes that feel like they are made of sand paper. The one time I went to the beach and stayed in a near by hotel the shower had NO water pressure and I couldn't get the sand off anyway.

Meh at what most people do on beaches. Crowd around with tons of sweaty people around some sand to lie around all day even though you could do that anywhere. Meh, resorts. Spend thousands of moneys to get jet lagged and lie around all day when you do that at home without getting hepatitis, and the people who do lie around resorts for vacation do just lie around home all day anyways.

We now have a good IMAX theatre! Our imax imax is independantly owned and takes half a year at least to get any movies. The good multiplex theatre just put in an imax theatre, though, so that means finally current movies in imax format! Suh-weet.

People like beaches because it's fun to play in the water, easy to get a nice tan, full of good looking people if you are at the right beach, possibly has surfing/snorkeling/scuba, and maybe a game of beach volleyball or sandcastles if you are a kid.

:rolleyes: Yup sounds like the beach really sucks. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean there is no appeal to it.

Sure there's appeal to it (for certain people, not the average FGirian it seems)
But the idea of spending 2 weeks at the same beach playing the same vollyball or random beachdudeness surrounded by plastic people sounds like a faith worse then death to me to be honest :p

Last edited:
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

So I'm doing periodograms to see if there are any periodic variations in a set of my data. Right now I'm using "Test data" aka a sine curve and all that and I have to get it done soon, otherwise I won't ahve anything with regards to this for the lab meeting.

So, the other person who's working on this sort of thing is Natalie, my labmate. Sarah is also here, but she's not working on it. I wanted to know how long the time interval was that she input, so I loudly yell

"Hey! How long is your period?"

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

So I'm doing periodograms to see if there are any periodic variations in a set of my data. Right now I'm using "Test data" aka a sine curve and all that and I have to get it done soon, otherwise I won't ahve anything with regards to this for the lab meeting.

So, the other person who's working on this sort of thing is Natalie, my labmate. Sarah is also here, but she's not working on it. I wanted to know how long the time interval was that she input, so I loudly yell

"Hey! How long is your period?"

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

You need to leave the lab and get out more......like, ALOT more :p

American joke. We call them full stops in Ukania.

In both cases. :p

I get darker, not really tan but a deeper more black coffee kinda brown. Also the darker you skin the better you muscles look, and I didn't get jacked all winter to not be shirtless on a beach. In fact I have a nice Saturday planned at the beach with a few beers, some grilling and a little sand football.

ITT: Lots of people butthurt about having shite beaches in their 'hoods hatin' on nice beaches elsewhere.

What's so awesome about the beach? The sun, the temperature, the wind, the water, the sand, the girls in bikinis, and the atmosphere. I'm sure I've omitted a few other awesome characteristics, but this is a pretty fair summary of why I adore Los Angeles (and Southern California in general).

Of course, if you don't like those things on their own, chances are the beach won't work for you. Sounds like a personal problem. (And if you continue trash-talking the default vacation setting for most people you're no better than Cowboy's idiotic coworker. ;))

Last edited:
Just to be clear: I love the beach, just not the one closest to me. :p
I need to drive at least 6 hours for a decent one.

If there were a decent beach nearby...I probably still wouldn't go. :p I love the beach usually, but I hate wearing a bathing suit or anything that resembles "I'm probably going to get wet and/or go swimming today" clothes. Even the sand doesn't bother me as much, I got used to it after all the bonfires down by the river and coming home with sand pouring out of my shoes and pockets and everywhere else.

ITT: Lots of people butthurt about having shite beaches in their 'hoods hatin' on nice beaches elsewhere.

What's so awesome about the beach? The sun, the temperature, the wind, the water, the sand, the girls in bikinis, and the atmosphere. I'm sure I've omitted a few other awesome characteristics, but this is a pretty fair summary of why I adore Los Angeles (and Southern California in general).

Of course, if you don't like those things on their own, chances are the beach won't work for you. Sounds like a personal problem. (And if you continue trash-talking the default vacation setting for most people you're no better than Cowboy's idiotic coworker. ;))

Not all of them are great (I really don't like Redondo beach... haha, that place is kinda gross) but most of them are pretty amazing. Maybe it's just location as to why I enjoy the beach, I've lived near Los Angeles my entire life.

The beaches I go to are Newport, Huntington, or most of the San Diego beaches. Which ones do you go to? :blink:

Last edited:
You need to leave the lab and get out more......like, ALOT more :p

I didn't even realize what I said until sarah started cracking up.

Beaches around here suck obviously, but half this country moves to good ones in the summer.....no big deal to get to one, hell it's easier and alot cheaper then the usual holidays I take.

I realy fail to see how not liking heat, sticky sand or general beachculture qualifies as a personal problem though....
Personal preference sure, like I said, if it's your thing, knock yourself out, I'll be in the pub. :dunno:

Last edited:
Not all of them are great (I really don't like Redondo beach... haha, that place is kinda gross) but most of them are pretty amazing. Maybe it's just location as to why I enjoy the beach, I've lived near Los Angeles my entire life.

The beaches I go to are Newport, Huntington, or most of the San Diego beaches. Which ones do you go to? :blink:

I liked El Matador which is a bit north of Malibu, good surf and close to where we rented a beach house for a family vacation. My friend lives in Venice, but it's too commercial to be any good. Santa Monica and Manhattan are much nicer, and Huntington is great surf.