Random Thoughts....

Golf in au is pretty reasonably priced, most courses a bit shit though

West coast of Scotland has loads of courses, some of which are municipal (Owned by the local council) the quality of which is excellent and costs for a round reasonable.

From "The Guardian"'s website: Hair fetishist Danilo Restivo given whole life jail sentence for 'depraved' murder of mother of two. More details soon ?

So, apparently he's a "hair fetishist", not a murderer. Well that's all right then.

There should be a certification I can get that allows me access to separate tech support contacts at places like my ISP. I want to be able to call up and say, "I ran a traceroute and it's reporting "network unreachable" after 4 hops. It's still in UVerse IP space at that point. Fix your issues." and have the response be, "Great, can you tell me those IPs? We'll investigate the routers." Not "Reboot your computer. Try again. Ok, reboot your router. Try again."

There should be a certification I can get that allows me access to separate tech support contacts at places like my ISP. I want to be able to call up and say, "I ran a traceroute and it's reporting "network unreachable" after 4 hops. It's still in UVerse IP space at that point. Fix your issues." and have the response be, "Great, can you tell me those IPs? We'll investigate the routers." Not "Reboot your computer. Try again. Ok, reboot your router. Try again."

Have you tried Shibboleet?

... love that one. The point with the "start button" has happend to me on numerous occasions ... and there seems to be no answer to "I run Linux" in that little list of answers they work with at the call-center. Best answer I ever got to that was something like "we don?t support Linux" (ISP!) ... at wich point I just said "your supervisor please".
That said, last time I had networking troubles, the problem was so simple it didn?t even occur to me ... and it took me hours to realize. A simple methodic "let?s start from the beginning" would have had me figure it out in 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Heh, if only...

It will be there somewhere - they just do not give it out as most people are not that Network savvy. Our broadband installer told me how to bypass most of the directories/phone options lists when he upgraded me to 100MB.
We used to know the way for Apple, but we really don't need to. As soon as I start telling them the steps I've already taken, they send me up the line.

... love that one. The point with the "start button" has happend to me on numerous occasions ... and there seems to be no answer to "I run Linux" in that little list of answers they work with at the call-center. Best answer I ever got to that was something like "we don?t support Linux" (ISP!) ... at wich point I just said "your supervisor please".
That said, last time I had networking troubles, the problem was so simple it didn?t even occur to me ... and it took me hours to realize. A simple methodic "let?s start from the beginning" would have had me figure it out in 5 minutes.
I've gotten that once. I think my plan this time is to claim the TV is reporting authentication issues. Oh, and by the way, occasionally I can't load a web page. That means something that is entirely their responsibility isn't working. :D

On the topic of golf....Since today is my birthday my dad will be giving me the same present he has given me for the past ~12 years, a round of golf at Southern Hills Country Club here in Tulsa. It's a great golf course and was the host of the U.S. Open in 1958, 1977, and 2001 in addition to hosting the PGA Championship in 1970, 1982, 1994, and 2007. I have no idea how much the annual membership or greens fee costs...because I'll never be a member. A) I probably couldn't afford it and B) my older brother will inherit the membership just as my dad did from his father.

Also I only eat at McDonald's once per year (on my birthday) and the little shits messed up my order! My bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit was missing the bacon... if I shoot a 100 today because I'm mad I going to wring the neck of the next McEmployee I see.

Yeah, it was a good round. I started playing golf last year and consistenly would shoot 105-110 when I played. This year I've been averaging between 93-97 after shaving strokes off working on my short game. I've finally gotten decent enough to consistently range out my clubs and start putting draw on my drives. Now I need to start shaving more strokes off in my chipping game, I can get it on the green but now I want to start targeting them. Also my fairway woods are terrible, I just play my 3 iron instead and go shorter because I know I will shank it.

Too bad your brother gets the membership, my dads CC isn't anything to write home about in terms of teh course. Serviceable but not incredible. I don't think I'll stick around the area anyways so there is no point passing it on to me. I would love to play America's great public courses though, Beth Page Black, TPC Sawgrass, Spyglass, Whistling Straits, Pinehurst and Kiawah.

Last edited:
The best way to do this in my experiance seems to be "Hello verizon? I am having issues, please send a man over. Ok thank you". They actually send a tech over usually the same day. I think I will not move to a town that does not have verizon internet.

Yeah, it was a good round. I started playing golf last year and consistenly would shoot 105-110 when I played. This year I've been averaging between 93-97 after shaving strokes off working on my short game. I've finally gotten decent enough to consistently range out my clubs and start putting draw on my drives. Now I need to start shaving more strokes off in my chipping game, I can get it on the green but now I want to start targeting them. Also my fairway woods are terrible, I just play my 3 iron instead and go shorter because I know I will shank it.

Too bad your brother gets the membership, my dads CC isn't anything to write home about in terms of teh course. Serviceable but not incredible. I don't think I'll stick around the area anyways so there is no point passing it on to me. I would love to play America's great public courses though, Beth Page Black, TPC Sawgrass, Spyglass, Whistling Straits, Pinehurst and Kiawah.

That's really good for a beginner, but I've always felt golf is the easiest sport to pick up for already athletic people. On the brother front...I can still hope he brings dishonor on our family and is disowned :lol:. Unfortunately I must live with the fact that I'm the second son... they even get the same name (first sons of first sons). I too would love to play some of Americas great public courses, they are all on my golf "bucket list" alongside Augusta National, Shinnecock, St. Andrews (old course), and Royal Melbourne. The only one I have crossed off the list is Pebble Beach... I donated about 20 balls to the ocean that day...:lol:

So this won't matter for 99.9% of the forumites, but google translate now translates into Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Bengali and Gujarati.

\o/

The best way to do this in my experiance seems to be "Hello verizon? I am having issues, please send a man over. Ok thank you". They actually send a tech over usually the same day. I think I will not move to a town that does not have verizon internet.

Our town has an exclusive contract with Charter cable for anything faster than DSL. Completely bullshit, as Charter is crap and there service is crap. Their one good point is the technicians they send out seem to know what they're doing, one guy identified some corroded wiring and fixed it and our internet speeds doubled.

But yes, I would kill for some FiOS.

I also haven't had any issues dealing with support. Every time I call, I just get an automated message that there's an outage in my area :?

There was an ambulance and fire truck here at work just now; an employee was feeling like there was a heart attack coming on, but wasn't. I would feel sorry for her, but after two other heart attacks, she is still grossly overweight and makes no effort to exercise, even eschewing the stairs to instead use the elevator. She also eats garbage food, continuously grazing on it throughout the day.

You would figure after two episode that would be a wake up call. After I had a severe panic attack in early March, I quit smoking, stopped eating fast food so often (Only once during the weekend), and took up bicycling to stay fit and active.

I do love the buy one get one free mentality of emergency services over here. Heart attack? Better bring along the fire brigade...

I usually try to stick to around 1500-1800 calories and 30g of fat a day...except on my birthday. At 2:39pm central time I am now up to 2474 calories and 132 grams of fat for the day...:lol:

Screw this hot weather. It's 99? F (37? C) and it's going to be hotter the next two days. Where can I live that it rarely gets below freezing and not above 80? F (26? C)?

I really hate the temps/weather in this area, -10? F (-23? C) in the winter and 100?+ F (38? C) in the summer. Short violent springs (need I remind you of the tornado that took half of the town I work in away in May). The fall is the only good part, but it's still short..

Screw this hot weather. It's 99? F (37? C) and it's going to be hotter the next two days. Where can I live that it rarely gets below freezing and not above 80? F (26? C)?

That would be Hawaii or anywhere else close to the equator. Being close to the equator means that you don't get a lot of seasonal variation. I'm told that Hawaii pretty much stays between 60 and 85 year-round.