Random Thoughts....

I started wearing my grandmother's jade bangle today, she's in hospital and had to take it off because they need access for IVs and such. I had to use oil to get it on. Cue much innuendo about lubing up and getting it in there.

So you lubed it up and got it in there! Ha!... wait....

I started wearing my grandmother's jade bangle today, she's in hospital and had to take it off because they need access for IVs and such. I had to use oil to get it on. Cue much innuendo about lubing up and getting it in there.

Damnit! https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lurkerpatrol/2011/07/12/rage_extreme.jpg

On another note: best thing about coming into lab early - SINGING loudly! Started singing classical songs and it reminded me of my dad and I singing on the way to school.

Last edited:
Been working away from home for 1,5 months now and while the pay and place to work on is awesome, the place i am staying on isn't. A run-down old hostel that gives me the creeps. Checking out a small apartment next week though, with a streak of luck i might get a place more private.

Work related? Doesn't your employer pay for a hotel or flat in that case?

Thanks to the tax-regulations in Sweden, i get a extra ?32 for each day i'm out working, but the pay for the room must come from those money. So getting a small flat is actually cheaper since i pay ?11 a day for staying here.

Thanks to the tax-regulations in Sweden, i get a extra ?32 for each day i'm out working, but the pay for the room must come from those money.
Wow. That's pretty strange, and pretty mean (unless rents are cheap in Sweden). Considering most people working away would probably have a family home, or at least somewhere they live when not away on business, it's not really a benefit to be put up somewhere when working away. Unless you give up your rented place at home and live in the other place "permanently" at the company's expense, of course :whistle:

Good luck with the flat, anyway :)

IMAG0574.jpg

volcano in middle of Reykjavik !!!

IMAG0580.jpg
I kid I kid

Wow. That's pretty strange, and pretty mean (unless rents are cheap in Sweden).
Taking a 20-work-day month as a base, he gets 640 Euros a month. That easily covers a small apartment even in the more expensive regions of western Europe.

My girlfriend works in another town as well and her employer pays...
...nothing.

But both her room in the other town and the travel expenses are tax-decuctable, which means that she pays no income tax, which is better than nothing.

Last edited:
Who locked the funny picture thread?

Who locked the funny picture thread?
I was wondering that too.

On deviantart there is something called "groups" where people submit things of a common theme. Since most of them let everyone submit sometimes you get bad things. I just looked in my inbox and found this:
collab_anyone__by_zantilona-d3nhwhm.png

stare.gif

For some reason I find this picture frightening, even baring the comic sans.

Taking a 20-work-day month as a base, he gets 640 Euros a month. That easily covers a small apartment even in the more expensive regions of western Europe.
There are currently the grand total of six apartments to rent in Zurich for that kind of price (going by one of the most popular apartment search websites here). One of those is a retirement flat. Two more are flatshares. There are significantly more in London of course, but you might have to put up with being mugged every other week if you want to live in them.

When I worked away, some years ago now, we were provided decent furnished flats / hotels (for example, I once shared a place with a colleague that I know very well cost 1200 quid a week to rent, because he and I were the ones who sorted it out with the agent) plus breakfast, lunch, and evening meal allowance, which was about 20-30 pounds per day (it was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly, although I think maybe that was only when we stayed in hotels). So when I say 640 Euro is mean, that's where I'm coming from. Working on customer sites was quite financially rewarding. Shame about the lost friends, and the broken relationships. I wouldn't do it again.

My girlfriend works in another town as well and her employer pays...
...nothing.

But both her room in the other town and the travel expenses are tax-decuctable, which means that she pays no income tax, which is better than nothing.
:jawdrop:

The apartment i am aiming for is a single-room apartment in a ok part of the city, 40-someting square meters with bathroom and kitchen. Heating and water included in the rent brings it to the staggering sum of... ?270 a month.

We're doing physics demos for inner city school kids from across the country. We were at a tutorial meeting today to check out all of the demos and figure out how to present them.

I got chosen for the sound station :D.

We get to make annoying noises and see wave graphs and pour sand on a vibrating pad and make it bounce around and make pretty patterns. It's gonna be heaven for me :p.

Physics teachers should use Portal to teach momentum.

We have a tesla coil, that's sort of going in the right direction I guess?

It's not that she's employed here and temporarily assigned to an office in another town. She applied for a job there and, as far as her employer is concerned, could have moved there.