Random Thoughts....

Shit balls fuck ugh!!! I have a chance to be a zombie in The Walking Dead, but my boss is out of town so I can't get out of work until Thursday and they need people for Wednesday. Hopefully they have a need beyond that.

Rant:

There's a post-doc that I work with who has been ENORMOUSLY helpful to me in the past. He's stopped his work, come and sat down in the lab and walked me through shit on a couple of occasions and he's been very very helpful to my fellow labmates.

I have my homework done for my class today. I had it all worked out and I even showed my classmates how to do it because they were having problems.

I just wanted to verify with him that my logic was correct on one problem. I asked him if he was avail for a question and he says "you can try".

I showed him my logic and he goes "Are you serious? I'm not doing your hw for you". "You should go do this with students and bla bla".

I'm like dude, look, this is my answer. I formed a fucking study group, none of those dumbfucks knew anything about it, I had to walk them through it all.

He goes "well your next stop is the professor".

I said yeah. And I go "You know Carl, I just wanted a yes or no on my logic, I had it all worked out. I'm not asking you to do my hw for me. That said I'm sorry if I troubled you or annoyed you", and then I closed the chat.

What a fucking asshole dude. I'm a Berkeley kid, you seriously fucking think that I wanted you to hold my goddamned hand through a fucking homework? Are you fucking serious right now? I've been left in the dust, with friends in my study groups hiding answers from me, having to figure shit out, and ending up reading RESEARCH PAPERS with DENSE fucking science in order to get the answers to some of my homework problems.

I don't need you. I don't need anyone. I can do this shit myself, Berkeley has taught me to solve problems independently like that.

Fucking.... GRRRR.

Rant:

There's a post-doc that I work with who has been ENORMOUSLY helpful to me in the past. He's stopped his work, come and sat down in the lab and walked me through shit on a couple of occasions and he's been very very helpful to my fellow labmates.

I have my homework done for my class today. I had it all worked out and I even showed my classmates how to do it because they were having problems.

I just wanted to verify with him that my logic was correct on one problem. I asked him if he was avail for a question and he says "you can try".

I showed him my logic and he goes "Are you serious? I'm not doing your hw for you". "You should go do this with students and bla bla".

I'm like dude, look, this is my answer. I formed a fucking study group, none of those dumbfucks knew anything about it, I had to walk them through it all.

He goes "well your next stop is the professor".

I said yeah. And I go "You know Carl, I just wanted a yes or no on my logic, I had it all worked out. I'm not asking you to do my hw for me. That said I'm sorry if I troubled you or annoyed you", and then I closed the chat.

What a fucking asshole dude. I'm a Berkeley kid, you seriously fucking think that I wanted you to hold my goddamned hand through a fucking homework? Are you fucking serious right now? I've been left in the dust, with friends in my study groups hiding answers from me, having to figure shit out, and ending up reading RESEARCH PAPERS with DENSE fucking science in order to get the answers to some of my homework problems.

I don't need you. I don't need anyone. I can do this shit myself, Berkeley has taught me to solve problems independently like that.

Fucking.... GRRRR.

Yikes, it just goes to show how competitive stuff like that is. I guess they think they can't trust anyone, sucks but you got this man, you'll be fine.

Yikes, it just goes to show how competitive stuff like that is. I guess they think they can't trust anyone, sucks but you got this man, you'll be fine.

There are gunners in my class who refuse to form study groups, and will hoard all the lab time and library materials just to get the edge over everyone to stay in the Top 3 of the class.

My mom needs someone she can bother with shoe talks. It's been all blah blah, shoes. Blah blah, leopard-print shoes. Blah blah, leopard-print boots. Blah blah, I found shoes for 10 dollars with some blah blah, look at these ugly ass shoes I found at all hours. I don't care!
:comfort:
Yeah I would claw my eyes out, after climbing the walls first.

Yeah this shit can get competitive but the things is, I know this shit like the back of my hand. And even if I don't, Berkeley has taught me to be resilient and independent and I know I can crank this shit out. All I wanted was a yes or no from my post-doc colleague but he decided to be an ass. I walked right into his room and said the same thing, and he said "well you know I am unfamiliar with the class and so your best bet would be the professor". I said "You should have just said that, instead of saying 'I'm not doing your hw for you'". I know it might not have been respectful or nice to talk to him like that but fuck it. He should know that I'm not asking him to do my homework. I don't want him going to my boss saying "oh yeah btw, Harish was trying to get me to do his homework for him". This'll blow off by tomorrow so I'm not worried about that, it's just fucking stupid.

There are gunners in my class who refuse to form study groups, and will hoard all the lab time and library materials just to get the edge over everyone to stay in the Top 3 of the class.

I'm with you. Some people would rather work by themselves than try to solve problems out with a group. These are people that will never become good scientists. Research is all about collaboration, about bumping heads together to solve the toughest shit out there, and believe me when I say astrophysics isn't a walk in the goddamned park. There are so many groups from all across the world bumping heads and working together to get shit done. If you're not going to be a team player, gtfo. At the same time, you need to be able to do your own shit and not just leech off everyone else.

Yeah this shit can get competitive but the things is, I know this shit like the back of my hand. And even if I don't, Berkeley has taught me to be resilient and independent and I know I can crank this shit out. All I wanted was a yes or no from my post-doc colleague but he decided to be an ass. I walked right into his room and said the same thing, and he said "well you know I am unfamiliar with the class and so your best bet would be the professor". I said "You should have just said that, instead of saying 'I'm not doing your hw for you'". I know it might not have been respectful or nice to talk to him like that but fuck it. He should know that I'm not asking him to do my homework. I don't want him going to my boss saying "oh yeah btw, Harish was trying to get me to do his homework for him". This'll blow off by tomorrow so I'm not worried about that, it's just fucking stupid.

I'm with you. Some people would rather work by themselves than try to solve problems out with a group. These are people that will never become good scientists. Research is all about collaboration, about bumping heads together to solve the toughest shit out there, and believe me when I say astrophysics isn't a walk in the goddamned park. There are so many groups from all across the world bumping heads and working together to get shit done. If you're not going to be a team player, gtfo. At the same time, you need to be able to do your own shit and not just leech off everyone else.

They don't comprehend that class rank means dick squat in the real world. Just the fact that you attend the school is reason enough to show you are of a certain quality, being best to the exclusion of others is going to get you nowhere when you are forced to collaborate in M3 and M4 years. Hell some schools have eschewed didactic education in preference to group problem solving and analysis. This kind of stupidity from the smartest people I've ever met makes me want to bang my head for an hour on the lab bench.

I do my work alone in class simply because I sometimes will figure things out much much faster then anyone else and then other times, it'll take a few tires so instead of causing frustration for both of us. I had a partner for one class and he was gone for two days(the class is two times a week) and I was 2 units ahead of him. Now because the current unit I'm on required math with really odd ways of operation, He's now ahead.

That's the other thing, I can't do math outside of add subtract and multiply. Division always gets me because you can such backwards answers if you do it wrong. I'm already bombing algebra. Yeah I'm 20 years old and don't know algebra, shut up.

They don't comprehend that class rank means dick squat in the real world. Just the fact that you attend the school is reason enough to show you are of a certain quality, being best to the exclusion of others is going to get you nowhere when you are forced to collaborate in M3 and M4 years. Hell some schools have eschewed didactic education in preference to group problem solving and analysis. This kind of stupidity from the smartest people I've ever met makes me want to bang my head for an hour on the lab bench.

Thank you, I'm glad someone can sympathize. I'd give you rep but apparently I've raep'd too many peoples in the last 24 hours.

I do my work alone in class simply because I sometimes will figure things out much much faster then anyone else and then other times, it'll take a few tires so instead of causing frustration for both of us. I had a partner for one class and he was gone for two days(the class is two times a week) and I was 2 units ahead of him. Now because the current unit I'm on required math with really odd ways of operation, He's now ahead.

That's the other thing, I can't do math outside of add subtract and multiply. Division always gets me because you can such backwards answers if you do it wrong. I'm already bombing algebra. Yeah I'm 20 years old and don't know algebra, shut up.

Don't be ashamed of that. Plus, we got a bunch of math nerds here (read: Indians and Germans) who can help you if you ever have any questions or problems.

I forgot how much I liked this picture:

305107_10100169458845003_9200715_45123946_1638230165_n.jpg

It's a Puffalump riding a duck! Oh, and there's a poster with Elises, too.

They really need to make Puffalump-sized Elises.

...and I need an Elise. That, too.

[Disclaimer: Yeah, it's a crappy cell phone pic. But...but.......Puffalump on a duck!]

Last edited:
Puffalump on a duck! I like that. I think I'll make a PG-rated curse out of it. Kind of like "Christ on a crutch" but more acceptable. (EG: Puffalump on a duck, I'm tired!)

Thanks, Coco!

TARDIS_IKEA.jpg

I forgot how much I liked this picture:
It's a Puffalump riding a duck! Oh, and there's a poster with Elises, too.
They really need to make Puffalump-sized Elises.
...and I need an Elise. That, too.

[Disclaimer: Yeah, it's a crappy cell phone pic. But...but.......Puffalump on a duck!]

Puffalump on a duck! I like that. I think I'll make a PG-rated curse out of it. Kind of like "Christ on a crutch" but more acceptable. (EG: Puffalump on a duck, I'm tired!)
Thanks, Coco!

Doesn't that Puffalump on a duck need a "your argument is invalid" caption?

anyway... just finished writing a long article about Torchwood for my blog. Wasn't aware just how badly my grammar has been in some places. Really need to work on it since i want to move the blog more from news content to more opinions, analysis and reviews content.

Yes. This is a Puffalump on a duck. Your argument is invalid.

Don't be ashamed of that. Plus, we got a bunch of math nerds here (read: Indians and Germans) who can help you if you ever have any questions or problems.

Who might those be?

^LP, for a start. :p

Yay! I finally haz 20 minutes of free time!

And now I have to spend it working.

Last edited:

I also struggle with math, though I can do percentages really quickly in my head. It's a blessing and curse I inherited from my mothers side of the family; curse because it limits my potential, blessing because instead of inheriting superior math skills of my fathers side (like my genius but dumbass brother), I got the musical and artistic skills; I can comprehend music and figure out how to play most all musical instruments, and I am a natural actor.

Give and take, you know? Being that there are many engineering types here on Final Gear I am sure you can sometimes feel a bit stoopid (like I do), but they do not do it to make you feel bad, and as LP pointed out, sometimes are happy to help.

I also struggle with math, though I can do percentages really quickly in my head. It's a blessing and curse I inherited from my mothers side of the family; curse because it limits my potential, blessing because instead of inheriting superior math skills of my fathers side (like my genius but dumbass brother), I got the musical and artistic skills; I can comprehend music and figure out how to play most all musical instruments, and I am a natural actor.

Give and take, you know? Being that there are many engineering types here on Final Gear I am sure you can sometimes feel a bit stoopid (like I do), but they do not do it to make you feel bad, and as LP pointed out, sometimes are happy to help.
You sir, I can assure you, are far from being stupid.