Random Thoughts....

Jay, whats with all the wolves all of a sudden?

Or are those coyotes?

Coyotes. I admire Coyotes, and sometimes I feel like one; the loner that depends on no one, they always find a way to survive.

To quote Heinlein:

If people are idiots for believing in a God for which no objective proof can be shown, people who believe there is no God are also idiots for the same reason - no objective proof of the validity of their belief can be shown.
Puts hand up to being an idiot.

Coyotes. I admire Coyotes, and sometimes I feel like one; the loner that depends on no one, they always find a way to survive.
I used to think I were a coyote but I am all right noooooooowwwww. .... Er no that's a wolf - D'oh!

Last edited:
"Fallout 3 will now inspect your computer and set the graphics quality"

*click ok*
<1 second later>

"Your graphic settings have been set to ultra high quality"

fuck%20yeah%20words.png

Shit I don't know if it's still on sale, but Fallout New Vegas was on Steam for $5 yesterday. I'd snag that just to save it for later.

If people are idiots for believing in a God for which no objective proof can be shown, people who believe there is no God are also idiots for the same reason - no objective proof of the validity of their belief can be shown.
Well said.

Although I'd also like to quote, from Australian comedian Tim Minchin oddly enough.

Tim Minchin said:
Science adjusts it?s beliefs based on what?s observed, faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.

Pretty much sums up why I side with science, although at the end of they day even science is entirely theory, we can only "prove" things to the best of our understanding. My gripe with religion is that, in some cases, it discourages expanding understanding for fear people will stop believing.

@CF: The hell?

@cowboy:thanks for saving me the trouble of posting that.

Apparently you needed a "ticket" for the tv I was looking at. Lame. However I saw two of them on craigslist for $150... I'm sure it's a decent profit for the person selling it but, you wasted all that time just so you could make $70 bucks?

Pretty much sums up why I side with science, although at the end of they day even science is entirely theory, we can only "prove" things to the best of our understanding. My gripe with religion is that, in some cases, it discourages expanding understanding for fear people will stop believing.

Nope.
You need to learn the difference between "theory", "hypothesis" and "fact".
Many things are irrefutably fact, some are hypothesis and A LOT are theories, but it?s far from being "entirely theory".

EDIT: Also, avatar shamelessly trying to grab Shirahime?s attention. :p
Just to lighten this post a bit.

In the science vs religion debate - science rarely stops you doing stuff you enjoy, whereas. ...

And why do religionists want to persuade/force you to beleive what they do? I have had people come around to try to persuade me loads of things and if I had listened to God bothera 1. I would have been anti God bothera 2. etc. And she seemed nice enough to me. Personally I would allow anyone to beleive in anything so long as they do not force their view of the world upon me.

Random thoughts is being politics, the NSFW version is being politics, politics should go back to the politics place.
This thread is now puppies
P1000171-1.jpg

Why do so many people believe it has to be science or religion?

You can believe in a higher power without forsaking science and vice-versa.

That depends on how far you're going with the belief in a higher power.
For example if that belief includes believing in some higher power creating the earth some couple thousand years ago, then you can not at the same time believe in scientific theories such as the big bang or evolution. Those contradict each other... unless of course all those findings made supporting such theories were planted on purpose to fool us :rolleyes:

kat: Science vs Religion is science vs religion, not politics :tease:

Last edited:
Boston voted Worst-Dressed City In America (by GQ, a New York-based magazine). WELL FAHK YEW, YA FAHKIN' QUEEAHS! AHM NEVAH TAKIN' AWF THIS ELLSBURY JERSEY, YA FAHKS! GO SAWX!

Curiously, Los Angeles was #2. :unsure:

That depends on how far you're going with the belief in a higher power.
For example if that belief includes believing in some higher power creating the earth some couple thousand years ago, then you can not at the same time believe in scientific theories such as the big bang or evolution. Those contradict each other... unless of course all those findings made supporting such theories were planted on purpose to fool us :rolleyes:

I'm not referring to any specific religious dogma, just the general idea of there possibly being a higher power. Who is to say that the big bang and the natural laws of physics, mathematics, evolution, biology, etc were not orchestrated by a higher power?

Anyway, I must go to bed, its 3:40am here.

Last edited:
at: Science vs Religion is science vs religion, not politics :tease:

Well ok, but I still think it is better suited for that section as it falls into being politics obnoxious argument twin.

I'm not referring to any specific religious dogma, just the general idea of there possibly being a higher power.

Yup, I got that. All I was saying was most of the time people tend to use specifics of certain religions vs science, not belief in itself.

Who is to say that the big bang and the natural laws of physics, mathematics, evolution, biology, etc were not orchestrated by a higher power?

:dunno: It's not decidable with the information we have. However, as long as said higher power only has set the rules of the game and does not interfere in contradiction with those rules I couldn't care less.

Well ok, but I still think it is better suited for that section as it falls into being politics obnoxious argument twin.

Yeah.

Last edited:
Yup, I got that. All I was saying was most of the time people tend to use specifics of certain religions vs science, not belief in itself.

:dunno: It's not decidable with the information we have. However, as long as said higher power only has set the rules of the game and does not interfere in contradiction with those rules I couldn't care less.
I hate it when God releases a patch, I never wanted a 'faster than the speed of light' capability, I just wanted more fuel reserves. <_<

Also, daaaaaaw at all the puppies and kittens

I hate it when God releases a patch, I never wanted a 'faster than the speed of light' capability, I just wanted more fuel reserves. <_<

The thing is, an omnipotent being should be able to apply the patch seamlessly without us noticing. Hence a faster than light patch would not appear to us as a patch but would match up with the past predictions. You know, like the Matrix, only less buggy.

Also, daaaaaaw at all the puppies and kittens