Random Thoughts....

What if when that rover get to Mars, they find basically a primitive/cave man type of life.
How long until America announces a $400 trillion plan to send an army to Mars to destroy them all?

Retailers here hold massive sales on Boxing Day (December 26).
Yea, here too. These are called the January sales because they used to be in January, but are no longer.
What if when that rover get to Mars, they find basically a primitive/cave man type of life. How long until America announces a $400 trillion plan to send an army to Mars to destroy them all?

You missed the finding Oil bit.

Last edited:
You missed the finding Oil bit.

No, my theory involves America deciding that even though they haven't invented the wheel yet, they're a threat... and/or the fact that America can then conquer Mars.
If they find 'unobtainium' in the process thats a bonus, sent from God.

Last edited:
I'm agnostic, so by definition I acknowledge that I don't know the answers. As such, I believe that the existence of a God can not be dis-proven any more than it can be proven. If you can categorically prove that there is no God, then you can start calling people idiots. Until then, you just come off as another teen-aged uni student who thinks he's figured everything out.

Why is up to the skeptics to disprove it? This is now how it works in any other circumstance, so why is it the case for religion? If you make a claim then you need evidence to support that claim.

No, my theory involves America deciding that even though they haven't invented the wheel yet, they're a threat... and/or the fact that America can then conquer Mars.
If they find 'unobtainium' in the process thats a bonus, sent from God.

Agreed, you Brits fuck over other peoples for oil and other resources we do it to fight 'the enemy'. :p

Pleasant morning; W#atched Chelsea decimate The Wolves.

SOmeone here was asking where my brother has lived in California; one of the places was this really crappy neighborhood called Silverlake. Apparently now it is a citadel for well off hipsters but when I visited in the early 1990's stores shut down at 9 pm and there was crime everywhere, I feared for my life.

Anyhow, talking about Silverlake, this song popped into my head.

Why is up to the skeptics to disprove it?

I only ask atheists to disprove the existence of a higher power if they are going to call non-atheists idiots, like you were doing. I don't expect atheists to prove their beliefs any more than I expect religious people to prove theirs. I just think if you are going to be calling people idiots for not agreeing with you, then you damn well better be able to prove that you are right and they are wrong.

Of course, as an agnostic, I don't believe either group can prove much.

Last edited:
I only ask atheists to disprove the existence of a higher power if they are going to call non-atheists idiots, like you were doing. I don't expect atheists to prove their beliefs any more than I expect religious people to prove theirs. I just think if you are going to be calling people idiots for not agreeing with you, then you damn well better be able to prove that you are right and they are wrong.

Of course, as an agnostic, I don't believe either group can prove much.
I'll quote Bertrand Russell:

Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot

I am not an "orthodox" person argatoga. If anything, I am the voice of moderation when it comes to religion. I think you'll find that Bertie didn't use his argument as an excuse to go around calling religious people idiots like Cold Fussion did.

*Click* Still in Sparks, NV.

I am not an "orthodox" person argatoga. If anything, I am the voice of moderation when it comes to religion. I think you'll find that Bertie didn't use his argument as an excuse to go around calling religious people idiots like Cold Fussion did.

Oops, I misread you. I thought it was a general argument that atheism was as 'wrong' as creationism. We both seem to share the same view towards religion.

Drove to LA last time to meet blaro and thedguy and saw a car being extinguished because it was totally on fire.

Drove to LAX now, car was on fire near camp pendleton.

My question to everyone is: why the hell are the French in so cal?