Random Thoughts....

It's also interesting to note how many people I know at university - aged 20 or so - have never had a job. I'm not talking about Mr Middle East who is here to get a business degree to run Daddy's company back home, but there are plenty of home students who don't realise that they don't have a clue about how a job works. I'm not saying I know exactly what its like to do what I want to do, but I've had 4 or 5 jobs in my time an they've all taught me something different. Also interesting to note how many companies at careers fairs openly admit they don't consider applicants who have no work experience.

By not having a clue about how a job works, do you mean that they simply expect to sit there and get paid? Similarly, it's interesting how many entry level jobs list two years minimum experience as a requirement. You need a job to get experience in the field but you need relevant experience in the field to get the job. It's an endless cycle. I thought your fast paced publishing job wouldn't really care all that much about your stint at the local fast food franchise, but apparently I thought wrong. As for those pulling on connections to get jobs, I really don't see a problem with it. Even though I have none, if I did I would use them for all they were worth. You'd be stupid not to. At the end of the day, it's a competitive world and you do whatever you can to get ahead.

Now, excuse me while I go for look for a job, any job will do. Actually, I'd quite like to work retail. I don't know why it's listed in the article as kind of an rite of passage for applicants looking for an internship, I'd be really happy working retail. Now, if only I could find a place that was actually hiring and public transport accessible.

Last edited:
[...]Also interesting to note how many companies at careers fairs openly admit they don't consider applicants who have no work experience.
I always thought that was a given. Even the more pandered young adults that never had to work because of their familiy having money usally go work for a couple of months during their time at University in their parents/families buisnesses just so they can put SOMETHING on their resume. Doesn?t matter if you?ve cleaned the toilets for 4 weeks - still better than no work experience. And I can only say that this practice is well justified in my experience - fresh out-of-school with a golden spoon in the mouth -> useless.

Last edited:
That's how I've always gotten jobs. I've worked mostly for my father at his various businesses (motorsports news paper, dragstrip operation), but the other jobs I've done where through connections I've made through working for my father. Even the trophy/award business I bought in 2010 was only due to dealing with them through the dragstrip.

The education system is partially to blame, during my 5 years of study I was constantly told I'd be able to stroll out with my HND in IT tech support and get a job earning 25k a year as a base wage and work my way up the system from there. Sadly I reckon some people actually believe this shite...

I currently work full time for less than 15k a year in a job completely unrelated to my field of study! :lol: A job that I only managed to get because my dad used to work with my boss!

@CraigB; yeah there are a million different ways to get a job and I've never found it hard. Definitely sounds like you've got plenty of stories to tell :p

@Interrobang: That definitely seems like a very clear factor/option but at least from what I've seen it doesn't happen as often as it should. I would also consider it obvious that not experience means very bad appearance but maybe many others don't see that.

By not having a clue about how a job works, do you mean that they simply expect to sit there and get paid?

Not quite, but if you have no idea of how the hierarchy works (such as what your supervisors role entails) or how anything works within a company/business/even a small shop then how are you going to fare when you're expected to be fully concentrated on the project in hand? Its not the hardest stuff to learn but I've found it only really comes from experience.
Retail I found is useful simply for people skills and organisation. But as I say; imagine you have no experience an have somehow landed a job in a firm where you're going to have deal with clients professionally and in an organised manner.

Similarly, it's interesting how many entry level jobs list two years minimum experience as a requirement.

Realize that any more, 'entry level job' means 'entry level pay', not 'entry level experience'.

Downloaded a Where's Waldo app on my SGS2; it's so much fun! Weird I know, but the game makers did a really good job.

If you don't mind having one of the most frequently robbed jobs, sure. :/

Usually, they close the main door and then they have to go to the window at a certain time.

It's like that everywhere though. The amount of bitching and politics where I work is worse than a bunch of teenage girls.

It's ridiculous.

But yeah, I used to work at a servo with the occasional graveyard shift midnight to 8am. It's cruisy as all hell, all I had to do was wash the floors, make the shelves look good, then grab a bunch of magazines off the rack, a pie off the oven and go chill out for a few hours in the back office before the morning rush started at 6am.

Oh yeah it was always good when the milk truck came in at 4am or so. Funnily enough the guy always had a couple of 'defective' Iced Coffee cartons for us to write off on the loss sheet...;)

I'm surprised they're open 24 hours TBH, the village has less than 20k people.

I'm a bit frustrated on the one side, and positively surprised on the other side. My car was in the workshop. The motor-oil tank [don't know the correct English expression] was rusty and my car started dripping oil on Monday. Reason enough to be frustrated, because I don't really need these repair costs right now.

Got it back from the workshop today, and I was surprised to hear the mechanics say, that my motor oil was still good (I had it changed ~6000 km ago) and that they collected it and refilled the oil tank with it, after they replaced it. So they only had to add about 1/4 liter of new oil instead of a whole tank full. And I'll get that 1/4 liter for free [well... of course somehow that will be included somewhere in the working hours]. But still I'm positively surprised. Usually it is more like a workshop tries to rip one off or look for things, that somehow make sense and that they can charge.

Like a couple of years ago, when I had my car for a routine check and they told me afterwards, that my whippers weren't so good anymore and that they replaced them. I asked for the price and it was almost double like when I buy them myself... so I had them remove them again.

Last edited:
Oil pan?

Shaved the sideburns and took the goatee off for whatever reason.

Well that was short-lived.

I'm a bit frustrated on the one side, and positively surprised on the other side. My car was in the workshop. The motor-oil tank [don't know the correct English expression] was rusty and my car started dripping oil on Monday. Reason enough to be frustrated, because I don't really need these repair costs right now.

Yes or a sump is what I'd call it on a RWD car.
(FWD has a gearbox slung down there sometimes.)

:smile:

I am so proud of the steak I made my mom! Not one for cooking steaks until the past 3 months so I'm still getting the hang of getting it juuuuuust right. Every time my dad makes steaks, he over grills them to the point of being dry :( Thankfully my steak was very moist and my mom said it melted in her mouth.

Looks good to me. But where is the A-1???

A well seasoned and cooked steak needs no extra sauce(s) other than the juices that come out of the steak :) Don't believe me? Well to bad! No way to prove it unless you carefully make your steak and season it well enough. Cook it on a grill then finish it off in a pan (I used cast iron) so the juices stay with the steak instead of being boiled off.

Last edited:
I agree, but a bit of sauce is nice too.