Random Thoughts....

Interesting to bring this up; I've heard that one should never ever put 'References available upon request' on your CV, but always give the contact details/position of your referees. Because the company won't want to contact you again to get more details they should already have in order to contact your referees. Ash states that 'referee reports' are included, so I would suspect those would be the actual reference given by the referee, rather than referee themselves. :dunno:

For us, applicants are asked to provide name and contact numbers of the referees on the submission sheet, but also the completed referee report (another form completed by the person giving the reference for the applicant).
Nine times out of 10, we will get the referee names and phone numbers, with no written reports.

There are a couple of issues, in that people in private enterprise can actually put their current job at risk if they ask their boss for a reference, and I'm sympathetic to this. I generally commit to applicants that, unless they are really in the running for the job, I won't contact the referees. I also prefer doing verbal reports (calling the referee), because referees are generally more likely to tell you stuff. Even though everything they say gets written down and sent to the referee for signoff, and then goes to the applicant.

My colleague has just asked me "Why are there no sheep visible in the fields on Google maps?"

:blink:

Lots of livestock has been removed, cows, horses, deer...

Yes but where are they being kept? And to what nefarious end?

Billions of magical cloaks?

Cammo paint?

Fancy underground lairs?

Spaceships?

Nine times out of 10, we will get the referee names and phone numbers, with no written reports.

To my knowledge this is the standard here. It's up to the employing company to get the reference, and they more often than not acknowledge that they will not contact references unless absolute necessary (for the reason of endangering jobs). Don't know if Cobol would disagree with me though.

And to what nefarious end?

Taking over the world...control the food supply...?

Last edited:
My colleague has just asked me "Why are there no sheep visible in the fields on Google maps?"

:blink:
My guess is that they think it's a Welsh satellite and have gone into hiding...

Last edited:
I survived my first day of work that didn't involve a cash register. I basically brought out clean plates from 11:00 am to 2, but that was fine.

Edit: I realized that I worked at least 2 jobs that didn't involve a cash register...so nvm there. :lol:

Random Thoughts....

I'm almost as hard at work as this guy is.
6u6u5yve.jpg

I've also done the time honoured tourist tradition of getting my photo taken with a koala. Frankie the Koala in fact. <3

You're a redhead from the UK, what do you expect?

*laughs*

Chris is a redhead from England...and the poor fella gets burnt horribly even with the sunscreen all over him. I even bought him some of that stuff for babies...SPF..50, I think. Or the most you can get there.
And even with a hat...he gets red as a lobster. Doesn't even get the benefit of a tan afterwards.

I however never burn. I don't think I've ever had a sunburn in my whole life.

NO FIGHTING IN THE WAR ROOM!

- she of the balls

Was doing laundry before going to class at 1pm today, had clothes in both washer and drier. Got home at 1am to find asshole roommate put dry clothes on top of drier, then put wet clothes from washer ON TOP of dry clothes. This roommate also has tons of clothes strewn across the basement by the washer and drier, she's an inconsiderate ass. Can't wait until she moves out in December, there will be much rejoicing.

To my knowledge this is the standard here. It's up to the employing company to get the reference, and they more often than not acknowledge that they will not contact references unless absolute necessary (for the reason of endangering jobs). Don't know if Cobol would disagree with me though.

Depends upon the type of job and its level - in the UK you can only really confirm that the applicant worked for the company being used as a reference and salary package details. The employing company however may phone up and get hints as to the applicats suitability - nothing is written down.

Sometimes they want the applicant to approach a previous employer to gat a 'to whom it may concern' letter, again only says the stuff above, personal references are of course different so if you know a Police Officer, JP, Lawyer etc. that would be good for anyone doing cash handling - it's not rocket science really.

Taking a small walk in the park: done
Taking a look over the lawns at the trees and general natural background: done
Noticing a young couple having oral sex in the middle of the lawn, in almost plain sight and with the sun still high up: done

strange days these are...

I wonder how long I've been sitting here with a stray piece of kimchi on my face.

Ate lunch at cube. Got up to wash delicious smell off my hands. And voila, kimchi on my cheek. Whoops.

- - - Updated - - -

I also should've gotten another citrus tea from the food truck at lunch. Citrus tea = <3.

I love my new work schedule: 4 days work, 6 days off.

And it pays better than my previous Mon-Fri job. Only downside is 12 hour days, two 7 am to 7 pm and two 7 pm to 7 am.