Random Thoughts....

Oh, I have something vaguely related to the topic at hand. I'm fairly sure I'll get tumbleweeds back from this, but does anyone have any recommendations or know a good source for skiver desk leathers? I just finished refinishing an old desk and got it put back together and moved back in my apartment this evening, and now about the only thing left to do is replace the leather inserts on the top.

Oh, I have something vaguely related to the topic at hand. I'm fairly sure I'll get tumbleweeds back from this, but does anyone have any recommendations or know a good source for skiver desk leathers? I just finished refinishing an old desk and got it put back together and moved back in my apartment this evening, and now about the only thing left to do is replace the leather inserts on the top.

I to am interested in this, about to refurbish an old desk here.

A upholstery place or a saddle maker might be able to help out?

I to am interested in this, about to refurbish an old desk here.

Budget twice the time you think you need and don't be surprised when it takes three times longer. If you're stripping old finish and have lots of detail, you might consider sending it out to be dipped, mine didn't have too much detail but it still took longer and I didn't get everything out that I would have liked to. You might not have some ridiculous faux antique finish to remove though...

This was really quite ugly up close:

And a bazillion hours of sanding and several applications of paint stripper later (with still a bit more to do around some edges):

And as it sits now, ready for new leathers and original hardware after tumbling two days in walnut media, two to three coats of Minwax dark walnut stain and three coats of semigloss polyurethane:

Leathers for Desks Oxford, UK

Just a Google search rather than a recommendation, but I was pretty sure that somewhere in the UK would do this. They look like they ship overseas and postage UK is only ?8:00.

:tumbleweed: :p

Tired... soooo very tired. :yawn: But of course, I can't sleep. <_<

I don't know about the fabrication, but I know Edelman and Garret leather both make finished products, and are very very good quality leathers for high-end contract/hospitality/office furniture and decorative panels. For sure, Edelman makes wall and floor tiles. Spinneybeck is another high-ish-end leather used in the same furniture world.

Last edited:
Norwegian police takes care of very drunk guy from northern Norway:
[video=youtube;AGU5U-DDwiA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGU5U-DDwiA[/video]

Not sure of the date yet, but PREPARE YOUR ANUS, JOEL.

https://roadtrippers.com/trips/fluffy-and-stefs-high-school-reunion/532673311be74a7e8b000060

Looking at estimates for gas 'n' crap for this. Also, Fluffy and I need to violate the continental divide somehow (probably while wheezing) and find some way to drive the track that was way too close to my high school. How did I not sneak Mom's car on it? My life is incomplete.

tl;dr, need sofas to crash on en route, TBD this summer.

:yawn:

I should be getting to bed... However, there's still laundry I need to finish.

:yawn:

I should be getting to bed... However, there's still laundry I need to finish.

My tv died so I've been using it and the tv desk as a laundry clothing rack for the last...week and a half? Only just started putting away stuff late last night and I still have a bit to put away.

Could do it now but ugh :yawn: Tired.

Not sure of the date yet, but PREPARE YOUR ANUS, JOEL.

https://roadtrippers.com/trips/fluffy-and-stefs-high-school-reunion/532673311be74a7e8b000060

Looking at estimates for gas 'n' crap for this. Also, Fluffy and I need to violate the continental divide somehow (probably while wheezing) and find some way to drive the track that was way too close to my high school. How did I not sneak Mom's car on it? My life is incomplete.

tl;dr, need sofas to crash on en route, TBD this summer.

You know, if you wanted places to crash along the way maybe you should have left out the "prepare your anus" bit. People might get a bit unsure about your intentions. :p

Horween Leather Co. They supply all leather Wilson, Rawlings, and fancy shoe companies.

The footballs you see in every NFL game use Wilson footballs. My mousepad is a square of that very leather

I smell sarcasm ... <_<

It's not me!:shifty:

Horween is actually the only leather mill(?) I know of by name! Hurrah! They're known for their chrome based tanning, if I'm not mistaken.

Random Thoughts....

^they are? I know their Shell Cordovan leather cannot be beat. Their leather tanning liquor is mixed not by a secret recipe but, by the old guys who have been just adding a little of this and a little of that over the years. My dad's worried when those guys either die or retire since nothing is written down.

Also it's called a Tannery. :)

Going there fascinates me. A factory that's stayed in the same place since 1905 is so cool.

How It's Made went through there to show how they make leather.

Last edited:
when your gf is talking to her mom on speaker phone about the bachelor when I'm trying to study for a circuits final...

tumblr_mpnsntBO2D1st3xfjo1_r1_500.gif

^they are? I know their Shell Cordovan leather cannot be beat. Their leather tanning liquor is mixed not by a secret recipe but, by the old guys who have been just adding a little of this and a little of that over the years. My dad's worried when those guys either die or retire since nothing is written down.
I think so... Here's quick google

It's so sad when you put it like that.

Also it's called a Tannery. :)
*doh!* Thanks
Going there fascinates me. A factory that's stayed in the same place since 1905 is so cool.

How It's Made went through there to show how they make leather.

I'd certainly like to visit at some point. ...searching the internets for How it's made....