Random Thoughts....

You have to repay a student loan when you are not earning very much - poor you. It is a tight budget but if you are disciplined you will be amazed at what you can do. I'd go as cheaply as I can for the rent after all every dollar not going to the landlord is a dollar you can save. Problem comes when you get a partner, unless they are well off - they may not like living in said flat. On the upside two can almost live as cheaply as one.

May I recommend Heinz baked beans on toast, as a very cheap meal.

Hah. Yes I am stuck paying because I'm no longer going to class even half time. If I had it like that, id quit my job and get through the next year with nothing but classes. I can't afford not to work though so slow and steady lol.

So $438.83 a month with just the fixed expenses you've mentioned. Income of $790-$800 per fortnight is $1600 a month leaving you $1161. Less $485 for rent now leaves $676 a month, $338 a fortnight or $169 a week spare. Not a lot, and you may be stretching yourself a bit.

You need to account for car expenses; fuel, rego, maintenance, etc. And unexpected costs associated with the car. What if a tyre bursts suddenly?

You havent budgeted for other variable expenses such as food, entertainment, clothes, and miscellaneous other expenses, so work out how much they expect to cost either fortnightly or monthly.

The $270 a month option would be financially better, but only you know if it works for you lifestyle wise.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I don't like not having extra money in case something would happen, particularly around the car...I tend to have shit luck in that department, and its not like my Accord is a spring chicken...it has nearly 230k on it. :|

I swear they have changed the recipe of pop tarts In the last 10-20 years. They seem so much "softer". I remember then being more...I don't know...more flakey and less cakey? I wonder if they reduced transfats or something, making them softer...

Hmm, I don't know. I have not eaten one since the '90s.

Have arrived in Oman. Stop.
Have been picked up from the airport, lucky me. Stop.
No documents or keys to my accommodation available, nobody knows anything. Stop.
Driver takes me to house anyway. Stop.
One single roommate still awake, lucky me. Stop.
Today at university, still no documents, paperwork, keys or even a pc. Stop.

Very well organized all this, oh yes :|

I got what should've been my final box of air fittings for the onboard air today in the post, everything is good apart from one thing. On the invoice it says "1/2 to 1/4 reducing bush" and a part number, that's a brass BSP fitting for air. There was also air hose and more air fittings in the order. I got two of these:

051422460.jpg

:roll:

The most critical ones too, input and output of the tank.

This is excellent! Thanks so much!

790 is definitely my take home pay after taxes and other deductions like health/vision/dental.

I definitely don't want to over extend myself for sure: While the 1 bedroom "real" apt ive seen is nice from an privacy and freedom standpoint, its 475 per month so way out of your suggested price range.

I called about a room for rent today. The landlord has 2 properties with rooms available for the same price so I'll go with whoever seems more chill/whatever room/house is in better shape.

The price is like 98 bucks a week for the first 3 months then 120 a week after. While that equates to 360 a month (and a little above your recommended amount) that factors in all utilities including internet (could be slow but whatever...its included!)+ access to shared living spaces.

I would definitely get some sort of personal property insurance. Although I don't really have much of value.

It sounds doable and I guess I could live with the "no overnight guests" rule that the landlord has in place: its not like I could have anyone over at either my brother's place or my parents anyway so meh.

I'm excited. I'll have to decide how I'd want to lay things out furniture wise but I'll come to that bridge when I get there.

Wow. Rent certainly is low outside of big cities. In Minneapolis/St.Paul you would struggle to find anything decent, with or without roommates, under $600 per month.

I certainly pay more than 33% of my income for rent.

Wow. Rent certainly is low outside of big cities. In Minneapolis/St.Paul you would struggle to find anything decent, with or without roommates, under $600 per month.

I certainly pay more than 33% of my income for rent.

And in Manhattan you'd struggle to find anything below around $1400 with roommates, or $1600 without.

Dubai is stupidly expensive for rent, prices have shot up by 20-40% in the last 3 years but salaries havent matched it, im at close to 50% right now, will drop once i get promoted

Question, in WWII the Allies first invaded Europe via Italy. Why didn't the Allies continue North through Austria and on into Germany instead of redeploying for another invasion via Normandy? Was it because of the geography (the Alps, etc)? Was it because there would be German forces to the West that could come back East to sandwich them? Was it because they wanted to sandwich the Germans themselves between their forces and the Russians' forces? Was it something political? Was it something that I'm completely missing?

Last edited:
One factor definitly was a need to push the Nazis far enough back to not being able to reach Britain any more.

One factor definitly was a need to push the Nazis far enough back to not being able to reach Britain any more.

And of course the Brits would never have seperated their troops further and joined the others in Italy ... and it made sense liberating France (and others) first to join up with them for the push to actual germany.

Ordered something from Amazon, it arrived this morning, hadn't quite woken up. Asked the delivery guy to wait, he asked if he could leave it on the front porch. I told him he could, I checked the front porch a minute later and there was nothing there. Really doubt anyone could've stolen it, it was a minute later, I live in a cul-de-sac and nobody's outside today. I probably need to call Royal Mail. :|

Obvious question is obvious: check your tracking? In your scenario, I'd have a hard time convincing myself I didn't dream the whole thing up.

You look good I said as she brushed her hair from right to left. No I hate this top its all pulled out and makes me look big and the humidity... I'll remember to not compliment you on that top anymore. Hahaha It does make you look big though like you need a breast reduction... shut up ZIP