Random Thoughts....

Uploading photos takes too damn long.

It took me almost a year to complete albums for my last holiday. Currently completed all the pics from my Finnish course, and starting on my days in Tallinn.
Then I can get on to the important ones: Roadtrip and Ringmeet.

Also, Aussie speed limits are stupid. No wonder we get bored and crash.

Qkai24I.jpg

"This truck carrying liquid aluminum just crashed on the autobahn."

That happened early this morning. Road still closed, because obviously, they need to repair the road surfacing. The commute tomorrow morning will be fun for quite some people - it's the German A 1 near Dortmund. So glad I don't come into my workplace from another town. :D

Last edited:
In my mind, i want to see them just letting it cool, and then picking up one whole solid piece, with the impression of the road surface on the back. :)

Isn't this where someone is obliged to post the "molten aluminium into a fire ants' nest" video from YouTube?

Oh never mind, I'll do it.

[video=youtube;IGJ2jMZ-gaI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJ2jMZ-gaI[/video]

In my mind, i want to see them just letting it cool, and then picking up one whole solid piece, with the impression of the road surface on the back. :)

That's not going to work - even if you could separate the metal easily, it has set the road on fire underneath...

Qkai24I.jpg

I can see the trucker hopping out, seeing the crucibles leaking, and saying, "Fuuuucccccckkkkk."
:lol:

Well that job probably used to pay well. :)

I can see the trucker hopping out, seeing the crucibles leaking, and saying, "Fuuuucccccckkkkk."
:lol:

Nah, what you do is look at it, shrug, realise you are gonna be home very late, get some coffee, wait for the cops, then watch them deal with the situation, usually in the worst way possible :p

Last edited:
I'd be mostly scared of this slowly rising from the molten aluminium.....

Clip_atr_of_t-1000_torso.jpg

Qkai24I.jpg

What industry needs to transport molten aluminum to its destination before casting?

Might be a metallurgy thing, where cooling and re-melting would crew up specifications. Been a while since I've taken a materials class though.

What industry needs to transport molten aluminum to its destination before casting?

Those pots are combined transport and tipping containers, likely delivered from a recycling smelting plant to the casting plant. That way you don't need to re-heat the recycled metal for casting, often don't even need a furnace at the casting plant - and the recycling plant can deliver its metal to loads of casters without having to cast to the destination shape on site. You save lots of energy through not melting it twice, and the casting plant doesn't have to comply with furnace regulations.

Train cars exist for transporting liquid metal as well:

Torpedowagen2.jpg

How is it kept in a molten state, though? Are the crucibles always heated during transport?