Random Thoughts....

I'm taking personal stock of what replacements for their sites I have, in case they go away:

Jalopnik - while the sub-blogs and reading the comments is cool - i am sufficiently entertained/informed by the comments at TTAC, here and VWVortex's "The Car Lounge" news threads + am getting into Reddit's car subreddits more. Not to mention Autoblog (the comment section blows, because AOL commenters) for just news. I guess I'll live if it goes - hopefully the writers there (including one of our very own FG members...we really should hope Jalopnik stays around for that reason alone!) will find great gigs elsewhere.

Gawker, Jezebel and LifeHacker - No clue, I click articles on these if they interest me...I will miss them but have no real replacement (AOL's blog network is a shadow of it's former self...LifeHacker competitor's Download Squad and WalletPop were killed off years ago) I guess there's Reddit's "LifeProTips"....idk.

Coke museum in Atlanta? :p

Yeeeaaahhh...nope. :p I'm sure I'll be exposed to enough Coke products along the way already.

Disney? Odd/expensive choice. :D

That's the business part of the trip :mouse:

The all new Porsche Experience in Atlanta.

Germanity aside, that's even more expensive than Disney :eek:
Besides it'll be a month and a bit after Ringmeet, the Porsche saturation won't have fully worn off yet...

St. Augustine? Savannah is good too.
Anyway, if you're going from Key West to Orlando and beyond, you shouldn't miss Miami Beach.

Noted. I'll pick up my car a day after arrival at Sixt Miami Beach anyway :D no airport fees and free one-way within FL FTW.

I've said many times I love FG, and recently I was reminded why:
People I never expected to care or even heard about Brazil's political turmoil sent me messages of comfort.
Thanks, guys. :)

Put in a bid for something on ebay, regretting it and hoping I get outbid. That said if I don't get outbid I will pay up, bid retractions and not paying up are not an option as I sell on ebay and need to preserve my 100% positive feedback.

That said if I don't get outbid I will pay up, bid retractions and not paying up are not an option as I sell on ebay and need to preserve my 100% positive feedback.
I don't know about other local ebay sites, but in Germany you can't leave negative or even neutral feedback as seller anymore so you can do fuck about people not paying or whatever.

That said, you should be able to retract your bid so the price gets knocked down to the last highest price.

I've done that. No big deal with eBay.

I don't know about other local ebay sites, but in Germany you can't leave negative or even neutral feedback as seller anymore so you can do fuck about people not paying or whatever.

Ebay really went downhill. The cut they take is rather huge and they also force you to offer Paypal as payment option which means Paypal is taking another cut. I used to sell used computer parts on ebay but nowadays it's simply not worth the hassle anymore. Also, as a seller you can get royally screwed if the buyer decides to claim that they never received the shipment or that they wired you the money (but didn't) or whatever. Or they return the goods in rather bad shape (much worse than when you sent it to them), and there isn't much you can do about it.

Do eeeet. I've pre-selected rentals for you:

I only see 1 good option
tongue.gif
. Don't know if you can ask for extras like an shovel + metal bucket and an Vodka tire cooling solution
lol.gif

Top-Gear-with-Toyota-Hilux-near-Volcano_2.jpg

in the future fast charging will be known as robot cocaine

I've just spent the last 3 hours looking up places to visit in iceland :|

That would be awesome!

My computer mouse randomly decides to stop working, and the icon disappears. Only thing that fixes it is to reboot the computer. It's bloody annoying!

You say that like it's a waste of time.

Not at all, not at all! It'll just be fairly expensive :D

Thanks for the rental options, narf! I've actually considered the 4x4 with included tent route... But since it's illegal to really go off road anywhere, no need to go overboard.

I just rammed my knee into the edge of my desk at a great rate of knots. :( The bruise should be glorious...

I've just spent the last 3 hours looking up places to visit in iceland :|

Having been there on a short break a couple of years ago I have a few suggestions.

- Assuming you are based in Reykjavik do the full day Golden Circle Tour. It's really good.
- Ditto a Northern Lights tour if you are there at the right time of year. Make sure you do that early in your visit - the Govt decrees a certain level of the aurora must be seen otherwise the operator has to offer you a free trip on another night.
- Whale watching? Don't bother in the winter, you'll see a couple of dolphins or porpoises if you are lucky, the big guys only appear in the summer months.
- Most bars operate a happy hour which varies by establishment and drinks are half price. There is an app that will tell you which bar is cheap when.
- Budget for a meal at the Icelandic Tapas House by the harbour. It ain't cheap but the dining experience is amazing. Includes smoked puffin and whale, both of which are divine.
- Blue Lagoon - again not cheap but you can sample it and see it without paying a huge amount unless you decide to have treatments.

My Flickr album from the trip here https://www.flickr.com/photos/41387538@N07/albums/72157636663566876

Thanks for the input! Knowing about happy hour and the Tapas House will come in handy, I'll keep those in mind!

Golden Circle and blue lagoon are definitely on the agenda. Apart from that we'll probably be moving around a lot, not necessarily be based in Reykjavik for the entire stay. I've already encountered some "self-drive tours" put together by guidetoisland.is, which I will probably plunder for ideas and reasonable schedules. Might even book one of their complete packages considering the price of rental cars in Iceland... but we'll see.

We'll probably be going in late summer, September or something. So Northern Lights are probably not too likely while whale watching might still be doable...

Reactions: MWF