Random Thoughts....

I think it's the "from global materials" part Joe is getting at. It smells of "this label is slapped on in the US, the rest is made in China".

I think what NecroJoe meant is the "with global materials" bit which means only the final assembly has to be in the US to qualify for that "label". All the components can be imported, they just have to screw it together in the US. Kind of the knock down way some manufacturers do with cars when they aren't allowed to import them to another country: assemble a car completely at home, take out the engine, transmission and battery as well as take off the wheels, put them all together in a box, ship it to another country, reinstall engine, transmission, battery and wheels and voil? you have a car "assembled in that country" since legally it is.

Actually, it's a bit more involved than that - there's actually a legal standard for "Made in USA" and "Assembled in USA." They're all legally regulated terms here - the WP page on it does a decent page of explaining it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_USA

Here's the FTC's page on it - they are the controlling legal authority: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard

Basically, the "made in USA with global components" claim is also regulated, but what it means can vary as it says on the page. The FTC would be very unhappy with the power tool equivalent of an automotive CKD kit (0% substantiative US content) and would insist on that being labeled as "Assembled in USA." One with some US parts (amount varies) could be "Assembled in USA" or "Made in US From Imported/Global Parts" - but it's a little more complex than that. The FTC link explains it.

Most countries do not regulate product national origin claims anything like the US.

Side note: Harley has been very loudly trumpeting their "Made In America" image and heritage for their motorcycles. Only problem? None of the bikes they produce or have produced since the mid-Eighties legally qualify for the "Made In USA" claim and they don't actually carry it. Wheels from Australia, suspension from Japan, fuel injection that used to be from Italy, an ever increasing number of Chinese parts, hardware being made in India, Mexican wiring harnesses... Depending on which model, US parts content can even be below 50%. Interesting, no?

Last edited:
Soooo busy at work today. Barely stopped. Eyeballs are currently the wrong shape and I used the mouse so much I think I'm developing SRI.

Quiky Rick-Rolling the FG Forum on April 1st, now what year was that? :?

And was that the same time as when there was a cascade of avatars and Forum Gifs, or am I mis-remembering that? :think:

Two by two, hands of blue.

Random Thoughts....

Flying for the first time since 2005 in the morning. First time flying with a suitcase full of tools and parts. This could be interesting...

Just be sure to put the tools in checked luggage. As long as it's not locked, you'll be fine. They typically break the locks anyways. Also prepare like you're sending the stuff through ups.

Just be sure to put the tools in checked luggage. As long as it's not locked, you'll be fine. They typically break the locks anyways. Also prepare like you're sending the stuff through ups.
Thanks for the advice. I figured I'd have to check it, only gone for one day so I put my clothes in the same bag. Plane leaves at 7 and I'm already up. This sucks...

I woke up today to see Harrison Ford has called himself a schmuck, Yahoo is being rebranded as Oath, and Tesla has a greater market value than Ford. Did I just step into the twilight zone?

Last edited:
Nah, just vegan glutenfree non-offensive unsure of it's gender 2017.....

God I miss the 80's.

Last edited:
Where there was walls and more communism?

No, when the men wore tight denim and spandex, and rock musicians said things like "it takes a real man to wear this much make-up."

143e043321d1579b2e7ba42a27bb275f.jpg

Where there was walls and more communism?

There was only one wall kid, us good, them bad, we here, them there, we free, them not, or so we thought, before we figured out it was all an illusion.

Last edited:
It's almost 4 a.m. and I'm back on the toilet. Welp.

A quick recap of what led up to this in the past couple weeks:
Race in California = fine
Drive a car in Seattle = also fine
Watch a race and drive a car in Mexico = still fine
Go home = hot friggin' brown, it's the turdpocalypse and I'm going to die

I don't think it's traveller's diarrhea when it doesn't show up until a couple days back at home.
Ughhhh, OMG I'm going to die.

I may have to wander off to the doctor's office and explain that I'm dying from the butt. My butt. Why butt?