Random Thoughts....

As part of my lease renewal, I negotiated to get some of my appliances upgraded. The microwave in my apartment was 3 years older than I am. Maintenance just came by to replace it and literally burst out laughing when they saw how old it was.

If it ain't broke, don't replace it. lol

I am sure at this point. But that is how the complex looked at it. Technically, it still functioned, so you don't get no new microwave.

I am sure at this point. But that is how the complex looked at it. Technically, it still functioned, so you don't get no new microwave.

But now I got one!

I?m on the fence with replacing my fridge. It?s 24 years old and has trouble holding its bladder. It still cools fine but the ice maker and water dispenser are all rusty so, I don?t use that.

If it's 24 years old, you'd save $50-150 a year in electricity, depending on the capacity/model differences, so that off-sets at least some of the cost. And a newer one *might* be quieter.

But, if it's working well, just like with cars, keeping an old one running is still likely better for the environment over-all.

Last edited:
Because they tend to last 25 to 30 years.

I?m on the fence with replacing my fridge. It?s 24 years old and has trouble holding its bladder. It still cools fine but the ice maker and water dispenser are all rusty so, I don?t use that.

You should get a new one. Treat yoself!

Speaking of appliances, I think the mini washers in/under some new washers are neat

Around here 15 is the life expectancy of a water heater.

I'd imagine the life expectancy depends on the water in your area. (i.e. is it hard or soft, concentration of minerals etc)

I have a water heater in my basement that I know is 20+ years old. Why it won't die is a mystery...

It will, on a Sunday evening AFTER all the home centers close.

I have a water heater in my basement that I know is 20+ years old. Why it won't die is a mystery...
When I bought my house in 2009, the original water heater was still in there... The house was completed in 1973...

When I bought my house in 2009, the original water heater was still in there... The house was completed in 1973...

It's the extreme USA weather.

That's impressive. I'm assuming it's no longer in use though?

Edit: What does a water heater look like there? Here, unless it's a tankless model, it's a large metal cylinder with either a gas burner or electric with one or two heating elements.

Like this:
0dbfbf1e1a675292db79dd70a56b993a.jpg

It's the extreme USA weather.

Technically, since it's in the basement, is never all that hot or cold. :spectre:

Last edited:
That's impressive. I'm assuming it's no longer in use though?

One of the first things I changed. While it would have continued running for another 30 years at least, according to the guy who installed the replacement, I wasn't willing to pay the gasbill for it.