Random Thoughts....

Anybody have any idea what this is?

Outside the front door of a friend's home in the
IMG_95091.jpg
Chicago area.

Bumper to avoid the door smashing in the wall?

looks more like a capped power outlet.

I was (over)thinking it might operate a switch or a reset for some sort of integrated GFCI... well, I am German! :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: GFCI... Those aren't installed where they belong about 90% of the times. Heck, my house has several non-grounded outlets still. Some within a meter of a sink. ?

I was (over)thinking it might operate a switch or a reset for some sort of integrated GFCI... well, I am German! :ROFLMAO:

So they have these... so called "fireman's switches" so fireman wouldn't get electrocuted putting out fires.

door bell?

I don't think so, as it's about a foot above the ground (well...the top step of the stoop, anyway)

Fireman's switch?

I was initially thinking some sort of emergency shutoff or something, but not sure what it would control.

edit: actually...looking at it some more...is that even a pull chain, or was that chain maybe attached to the cap and just got broken of and hanging loose?

What's behind the cap? Does it unscrew?

How old is the house? Could have been a heating oil delivery pipe if the house is old enough to have used a boiler and radiators for heat.

What's behind the cap? Does it unscrew?

How old is the house? Could have been a heating oil delivery pipe if the house is old enough to have used a boiler and radiators for heat.

They haven't wanted to crank on it too hard or pull on it in case it's something that doesn't go back together easily. We're trying to figure it out before they do anything to it, just in case. Just in case what? Not sure. :)

I wonder if it's the arm/disarm switch for an old burglar alarm.

Sure the baby 'industry' is down but the sock industry has never had stiffer competition!

I just heard a story about South Korea's deaths passing births for the first time and it was framed as if this is a bad thing. Guys, maybe it's time we change how we measure an economy so it's not dependent on unsustainable population growth.

I just heard a story about South Korea's deaths passing births for the first time and it was framed as if this is a bad thing. Guys, maybe it's time we change how we measure an economy so it's not dependent on unsustainable population growth.
This is a good a time as any for me to learn something. Population growth is going to require a couple (or however many baby daddies) to birth more than that particular pair of people. Right?

Who are these people still having more than two kids per couple?

I know of one guy, a friend, but even he's only averaging 1 per marriage.

They showed a single mum on the news tonight complaining that she only has one laptop to home school her 4 kids. I don't know why people are obsessed with churning our so many kids, personally I still think one is too many.