Random Thoughts....

How long have you gone without driving?
How long have you gone without owning a car vehicle?

I haven't driven in 4 months and I haven't owned a car or motorcycle for 6 months. Feels weird.
Without driving? Probably for a few weeks, while I was in a hospital in 2018. Otherwise, even while I lived in Zagreb, I'd come to my parents' place and drive one of my dad's cars once in two weeks on average. Without owning my own car? 25.5 years, in other words, my whole life.

It all comes down to needs. I don't commute by car when there are more convenient options available. For example, when I lived in Zagreb, the public transport was so much cheaper and mitigated so many problems that the facts that it's slightly slower and not the most convenient solution every time didn't even matter. Also, it's not like I enjoy commuting by car, so in other words, it's not like I could care.

Similarly, I don't own a car because my dad owns two running cars, so I don't see the need to save money and purchase one myself. If the things were different, e.g. if I didn't live with my parents and if I needed to commute, I'd get a car, but that's not the case right now.

That being said, I do wish I could afford a fun 'weekend' car to go to trips and drive out of sheer pleasure during the weekends, but that's unlikely to happen in the next two years or so. Which is kind of irritating to think of, but that's a whole topic for itself.

I've own at least one vehicle continuously since I bought my first car in 2001, and at least 2 since I bought my first motorcycle in 2003 except for a few months without a motorcycle in 2008 between my SV650S and my FZR400.

I didn't have a car for a week when I was in Miami in 2016...it was horrifying.

Last time I drove was to a customer on Friday last week.

Without cycling I'm getting antsy after a day or two. Even when I'm working from home I have to go out afterwards, otherwise there is not enough variety in my day.

Car: 2 years and a month now and I'm not missing it, but that's because I live near my work place and can cycle everywhere I want within Hamburg. Driving gets more and more frustrating, not because of cyclists (duh) but because there are way too many cars on the roads so everything gets jammed.

Vehicle: never since I own four bicycles now.

Interesting topic!

Since I’ve owned my first car there was a short period of a couple of months where I didn’t need it to go to work and I was still living with my parents, so I cycled everywhere. Aside from that I’ve always owned a car.

Driving : a lot less now obviously. My commute is about 60kms a day so that x 200 ish working days means I’ve covered about 12k kms less than ‘normal’.

But I still need to go to the store / drive the kids to hobbies / do whatever. So every couple of days I still drive around. I notice I get cranky after not driving for a week or so. I just like being in control of a motorized vehicle I guess.

Oh yeah and last year I managed to break both wrists so I was not allowed to drive for 2 months or so... was hard at first but I got used to it, as I knew I couldn’t physically drive with both arms in a cast anyway...

He sounds like he's already over 60 years old.

*customer sends photo* "What could cause this you said"

----------

What?

*customer sends photo* "What could cause this you said"

----------

What?

Reminds me of a story dad has from his days in the Tulsa Public Schools bus garage. He had a driver ask him, "What it is when the bus don't go?"

I haven't driven in 4 months and I haven't owned a car or motorcycle for 6 months. Feels weird.

Weirdly neglecting to reply, I kept telling myself I would...

Longest I went without owning a car was 3 months in 2013. I had sold the Flareside pickup and was looking at something stick shift that wasn't a truck. Dad was trying to get me to go for a pre-JK Jeep Wrangler that he would be from me if I didn't like it. The ones I found in my price range seemingly all had leaky roofs or a problem with the A/C drain going on the passenger carpet. I wasn't really feeling it so to speak and settled on the Mustang.

Partner in on GME and we're both in on dogecoin.

It's play money but still skin in the game.

Reading a story on CNET about it. Funny how they're writing this like reddit is "like other social media platforms ruining how we do life."

Really? Oh, I'm sorry that a group of people are banding together and changing stocks. Isn't this what protesting attempts to do in person?

So the Robinhood app turning on and off trade capabilities is in my opinion harmful... to them. I don't get why they are moderating transactions the way they are.

The larger what about the shorters being squished in the squeeze seems kinda anti-capitalists.

Dogecoin is off on its own hitting .07 last night which then dropped because we're talking about people making their money on the start of the day .02. it's hovering at .05 and that the pump goal is to 1.00 it's going to be all over the place.

Not holding for $1 myself on Doge, that would require some immense capital on the trade markets that isn't in play.

Not holding for $1 myself on Doge, that would require some immense capital on the trade markets that isn't in play.

Understandable i took a break even amount out so I'm all in on a hold.

I want to throw money at this stuff, but I don't want to because I don't want to potentially lose that money. For now, I'll keep my stuff in travel and fuel to see if the ineveitable rebound yields rewards.

So here was my logic: I would have gone on vacation. There are alot of ways I saved due to the pandemic that money was my initial play. I pulled out some so it's now kinda no loss. That said it went from .02 to just about .08 then back down to .04. If it makes moves in the long term close to $1 it's basically free money.

Invest with what you can lose think what it would cost for a date night. Two tickets to the movies, dinner for two, dessert, cocktails... Call it $150