Random Thoughts....

“Each and every one of us has been born into a given historical reality, ruled by particular norms and values, and managed by a unique economic and political system. We take this reality for granted, thinking it is natural, inevitable and immutable. We forget that our world was created by an accidental chain of events, and that history shaped not only our technology, politics and society, but also our thoughts, fears and dreams. The cold hand of the past emerges from the grave of our ancestors, grips us by the neck and directs our gaze towards a single future. We have felt that grip from the moment we were born, so we assume that it is a natural and inescapable part of who we are. Therefore we seldom try to shake ourselves free, and envision alternative futures.”

-Yuval Noah Harari

This from Douglas Adams seems to fit nicely:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

This!

Reactions: MWF

i really can take or leave Celsius or Fahrenheit. Dealing with both for work including Bar, mbar, psi, and inches of water column, they’re just numbers and the unit name makes no difference to me.

My personal opinion (just like assholes) is that if you can’t handle other countries measuring in different units, you have a small mind and need to pick up a hobby. Get over it, quit getting riled up and move on to more important things, because this isn’t important.

i really can take or leave Celsius or Fahrenheit. Dealing with both for work including Bar, mbar, psi, and inches of water column, they’re just numbers and the unit name makes no difference to me.

My personal opinion (just like assholes) is that if you can’t handle other countries measuring in different units, you have a small mind and need to pick up a hobby. Get over it, quit getting riled up and move on to more important things, because this isn’t important.

I really don't care for the most part, just get tired of hearing how superior Celsius is.

Yes, the only difference really comes when you need to do math to some of those units. Like...divide 3-7/16" into even 3rds. It's 1-7/48"...but my tape measure only has 16ths and 32nds.

When has it been 14 and 3/32nd's degrees?

I do appreciate the extra granularity of Fahrenheit, even if 0 for freezing also makes sense.

The way I understand it, the freezing point of brine is the zero mark on the Fahrenheit scale.
I don't care about salty ball sweat, though. My balls don't sweat!

On second thought, maybe brine is a relevant measure: the point at which sauerkraut becomes a sauercicle.

Nice, quiet Saturday, right?

WRONG. The idiots building a house nextdoor apparently forgot to take a buttload of rebar out of the yard before pouring the slab, so they've been digging into the ground and crashing garbage around all. damn. day. Just like they've done all. damn. week. I've had to call code enforcement on them starting too early a few days, and I'm exhausted. I'd like to work outside, but those teardown-and-rebuild pendejos are loud as hell AND right next to my backyard. Truly the cancer that's killing Austin and destroying the peace and quiet I liked about this neighborhood. I hope the developer gets an incurable case of taint warts.

There was a driveway back there, so how the hell DIDN'T they know there would be all kinds of bits shoring it up? Couldn't this have been done when they prepped the lot for whatever basic-ass box they're going to put up?

Again: taint warts. The developer deserves a really heinous case of taint warts.

Oh we had solar salesmen

If they are legit, I don't see the problem. Just tell them you are not interested if you don't want solar.

it is not what they want but what they do I am anxiously awaiting amazon how dare they toy with my emotions

I have watched live video of the volcano on La Palma in the Canary Islands off and on all day. I find it mesmerizing.