Random Thoughts....

I just looked back at some of the posts I made here as a minor…

…what the fuck you guys, why did you let me say this stuff
Dude, I did the same. Fuck how did anyone ever understood me, jfc. I'm so sorry.

I expect this will be unintelligible in a decade too :p

We had a thread about Vicki Butler-Henderson's tits for fucks sake!

Gravity has helped keep from such threads continuing :p

Dude, I did the same. Fuck how did anyone ever understood me, jfc. I'm so sorry.

I expect this will be unintelligible in a decade too :p

Gravity has helped keep from such threads continuing :p
It’s not just me being embarrassing…

…I took part in the Fuck, Marry, Kill thread… why

Last edited:
I just looked back at some of the posts I made here as a minor…

…what the fuck you guys, why did you let me say this stuff
Oh gosh, I hated who I was when I first joined FG. Anything from that era makes me cringe hard.

TIL the Ushanka Show guy was.......kinda hot, NGL?

Maths peoples, I need help using the right term. I am going to be giving a small speech in a few weeks at dragstrip operators conference and I need to know which term to use.

So a function of a drag race timing system to record how quick a racer and their car react to the green light on the Christmas tree. This is accomplished with a set of sensors at the starting line that are set somewhere around 1.6875" (~43mm) off of the track surface. That will give a 22" (~559mm) tall tire (circle) 11.5" (~292mm) of rollout (the distance it takes the light on the tree to turn on to turn off). So this sensor beam intersects the theoretical 22" tire at 1.6875" off the track surface. Would this be a chord or secant?

main-qimg-be5e30cff645829e8459ea664b07ad9c.png

I'm no maths expert but since your measurement has a start and end point, I would expect it to be a chord. Secant doesn't have a fixed start or end and I think that's more about angles than distance*

Please say they're recording the speech, I would like to see this. 😀

*All of the above could be bollocks.

The sensor beam is a light/laser beam straight across the track, correct? If it is, then it's neither chord nor secant to any tire rolling down the track since that light/laser beam is parallel to the axis. ;)

It intersects the tire's outer circle at a point which is the endpoint of a chord though.

Addendum: A chord itself is the part of a secant which is inside the circle. You could take any chord and extend it across the circle so it becomes a secant.

It’s not just me being embarrassing…

…I took part in the Fuck, Marry, Kill thread… why

Fam, if there's anything I've learned in 34 years of being on this planet, is don't look back at old posts you made or chats you had.

Cringecity, USA.

Live life with no rugrats!

The sensor beam is a light/laser beam straight across the track, correct? If it is, then it's neither chord nor secant to any tire rolling down the track since that light/laser beam is parallel to the axis. ;)

It intersects the tire's outer circle at a point which is the endpoint of a chord though.

Addendum: A chord itself is the part of a secant which is inside the circle. You could take any chord and extend it across the circle so it becomes a secant.

So neither apply to this particular circumstance, got it. Glad I asked. Thanks!

I'm not him, but spend half my life in Wisconsin, and can vouch for that with my family.

But...we can also be pretty clearly see in many cultural/societal/political aspects of life, as well.

is this true?

I’d go as far as saying that it’s axiomatic. People are less sceptical towards things (and views/opinions/values) that they already have and more so towards new ones. How much so does vary wildly.

It took me years to convince my “use it until it breaks” parents that their 2001 4:3 CRT TV with the greenish hue in one corner and the third “one for all” type remote ought to be replaced. Same for their iPad Mini (original edition) which they’re still using, but at least they’ve finally bought an additional current generation iPad.

Yes. So much yes.

My dad has one of those rickety wooden ladders. It’s not that tall, maybe 6ft but still. It’s been his indoor painting ladder and it’s always been wobbly.

And this might also be why I’ve been rationalizing my own situations with myself. It’s something instilled in us. “This car is fine, I know the issue and no I won’t fix it, but I know its issues. Buying another used car means I have to figure that out again. This is fine.”

You end up looking at other situations where people are worse off and you go “you know, I’m doing alright.” Which I think might be a why nothing changes here. I think mostly is that these little inconveniences don’t bother us enough to fix whatever is bothering us. You sigh and move on or hardly react.

Fun fact, Technology Connections guy lives maybe 45-50mins south East of me.

Last edited:
Funny to see the twisty opener called "standard" because to me the standard is this one:
1642239456376.png

The twisty type is fancy and not commonly seen in Brazil.
In fact, I have never even seen the improved design he shows.

I can't remember the last time I bought canned food that didn't have a pull tab on it. I do have one of those can openers with a toothed wheel and a cutting wheel, but I don't think I've ever actually used it. I just bought it once because I figured it might come in handy.

I also have a couple of those dirt cheap ones made from a single piece of stamped steel. It's what I grew up with and it works well enough for when you need a can opener, which in my case is once every five years. It also costs nearly nothing so it doesn't make sense to not have a couple of them around. The one @Redliner posted is the fancy capitalist version with a bottle opener on it :D

By the way, do you know that a can opener that doesn't work is a can't opener?

1642241491076.png

I’d go as far as saying that it’s axiomatic. People are less sceptical towards things (and views/opinions/values) that they already have and more so towards new ones. How much so does vary wildly.

It took me years to convince my “use it until it breaks” parents that their 2001 4:3 CRT TV with the greenish hue in one corner and the third “one for all” type remote ought to be replaced. Same for their iPad Mini (original edition) which they’re still using, but at least they’ve finally bought an additional current generation iPad.
Oh, I'm bad at keeping old stuff around and just..."well, but I have this at home."

This will probably end in me hurting my hand really, really badly when the wine opener finally goes from wobbly to broken, but I don't drink a LOT at home very often. More things come with screw-caps or fat corks you can pop off with your hands. I need to drink less at home, anyway! So, I'm probably going to wait until the wine opener breaks to get a new one because, welp, I have one at home.

1642308988984.png

4F is -15.5C.

frozen-elsa.gif

I feel legitimately ten-ply every time someone with Actual Winter posts about it.